TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Emotions in unconscious level
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Racer

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  05:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While reading Dr. Sarno's book, the following statement from him seem to quote Freud's view of mental iceberg.

"The human mind is something like an iceberg - the part that we are aware of, the conscious mind, represents a very small part of the total."

When I looked at the image (from the link below) of the mental ice-berg, I could see only negative emotions at the unconscious level.

http://ozini.com/?p=12861

If this is supposed to be a "baselined" view, which is making me ask a question - don't we have not a single good emotion present in the unconscious level, full of bad and negative only?

Edited by - Racer on 12/21/2012 06:49:14

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  07:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to this article, and others I have looked through, Freud DENIED the existence of unconscious "emotions." I am not sure how much of this is semantics as it was hard for me to follow. But a number of people make the same observation, saying that according to Freud memories get repressed, but that the unconscious does not have emotions. Kinda confusing.

http://www.lacanonline.com/index/2010/05/reading-the-unconscious/

Edited by - pspa123 on 12/21/2012 08:04:44
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  09:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Racer:
Your unconscious does generate emotions in response to certain events or situations. Not all of these emotions are “bad”. Smelling a hot apple pie may be enjoyable to you because it unconsciously reminds you of your grandmother. You may jump to aid someone who just fell without thinking about what you are doing. You unconsciously value health and well being and your empathetic response was a result. There are a lot of good things in your unconscious. Just because you find something on the internet doesn’t mean it has any validity.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000