TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Migraines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

erausch

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  13:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have been fighting daily neck and shoulder aches all my life. In the last 5 years I have also been diagnosed with Migraines with Aura and they progressively getting worse. In fact, I am currently on FMLA due to the pain. Is there a doctor in the Kansas City area that specializes in TMS?

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  18:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't think of one in that area, you may have to drive some, but you don't need one as long as you've been worked up medically.

There's enough information out there to heal an elephant in TMS pain. And it sure looks like you have TMS.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Steve

Edited by - SteveO on 12/20/2012 18:12:52
Go to Top of Page

tmsjptc

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  10:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I had other symptoms (unrealized at the time) that went back to my teen years, my more commonly understood TMS issues were in the neck and shoulders starting in mid-20's. I kept on with neck/shoulder pain and added chronic tension headaches at age 28. It wasn't until I turned 44 that I read a Sarno book and then was able to turn it all around. It took a year to fully get it, but I'm living free of neck/shoulder pain and headaches now. I never saw a TMS doctor. I read two of Sarno's books and read a lot on this forum and then went further into understanding myself by reading other books. Perhaps seeing a TMS doctor would quicken the process for you, but please awaken to the truth that you can heal yourself simply by digesting the information and believing in it. I wish you well. Tom
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  11:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's Dr. Sarno's list from the TMS wiki, there's one in Newton, Kansas. I think I slept at a Holiday Inn Express there on my cross country trip on ol' US 50--trying to get to Dodge City. Are you in KS or Missouri?

G'luck!

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

honeybear

10 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  22:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had neck and shoulder tension and chronic tension headaches for nearly 19 years, along with anxiety and TMJ. Over the past couple of years, my pain had begun to spread to include more of my upper back, my arms, tinnitus, and Raynaud's Syndrome. I found Sarno's books in February of this year and am FINALLY feeling some relief!!! I have read all of Sarno's books and listen to them on audio over and over again. Also just finishing up SteveO's book, The Great Pain Perception. I have not seen a TMS doctor, but did speak with one, and while he couldn't diagnose me legally without having seen me, he did say, "You very likely have TMS". That was enough for me. I found a TMS therapist that I have been Skyping with for the past 7 weeks, but most importantly, I started journaling 6 weeks ago (EVERY day for a minimum of 20 minutes) and I believe that is what is helping me to heal most of all. Get that anger out on paper! It is magical.

Edited by - honeybear on 12/22/2012 22:54:47
Go to Top of Page

erausch

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  00:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for responding. It looks like my first step should be to buy the books. Tennis tom, I am on the MO side. Thanks again and Merry Christmas
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  09:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by erausch

Hello, I have been fighting daily neck and shoulder aches all my life. In the last 5 years I have also been diagnosed with Migraines with Aura and they progressively getting worse. In fact, I am currently on FMLA due to the pain. Is there a doctor in the Kansas City area that specializes in TMS?

You're so lucky--you have the symptom that started it all, migraines with auras. That was Dr. Sarno's own personal symptom that led him to get help and clued him in to the psychosomatic origins of most worldly pain. He was able stop the migraines in their tracks when he saw the onset of the auras.

You also got lucky coming here because SteveO, who has written a current TMS best-seller, "THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION", is a generous contributor, and recovered from life-long TMS pain.

You should buy a TMS book, or maybe two, SteveO's makes for a good TMS "text book" and one of Sarno's. That's all you should need to "recover" your mindbody. Acquiring TMS "KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN" is not about quantity but the quality of your thinking, to brainwash yourself away from the current urban myths promulgated by the medical/industrial complex with the duplicity of the media that profits greatly preying on people suffering from chronic pain.

You don't need a library of TMS books. The theory resonated with me immediately after reading a few pages in the aisle of a book store, from the Good Doctor's first and slightest tome "MIND OVER BACK PAIN". The most recommended here is "HEALING BACK PAIN". Also good is an audio tape to listen while driving and Dr. Sarno's video of his group lecture, short of going to NYC to see him, which is not possible anymore since he's retired, and didn't take patients outside the Tri-States area anyways.

Seeing a TMS practitioner is a good way of exponentially increasing TMS confidence, so a short drive across Kansas, to Newton would be well worth it if you need more confidence boosting in the TMS dx, or maybe a phone consult if the roads are icy.

G'luck

Edited by - tennis tom on 12/23/2012 09:24:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000