TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Pain starts dissapearing & then increases?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodyb

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  12:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I sent my MRI to Dr. Schubiner, said two bulging discs (L4-L5, L5-S1) normal changes for someone my age. He said he can't make a definite diagnosis, but if i had good feeling and reflexes then it appears I have TMS.

I was slightly relieved to hear that, started EFT (tapping) and visual imagery. my pain decreased drastically for about a week. Down by 50% or so. Then it elevated slightly, for about 3 days, then back down to 50-60%. So last week I started hitting the gym hard, felt good, even did deadlifts. Only got up to 200 lbs for 8 reps but it was a start... It caused me no pain while I was doing it. So that was last Wednesday, and on Friday it was up to 65%. On Saturday morning I woke up to pee, and I had to stand a little funny to hit the mark (Guys you know what I'm talking about) and all the sudden I was hit with searing pain in my low back, it escalated to what I'm considerIng to be the worst it's ever been. I had my fiancé check my reflexes so I could assure myself That it was TMS trying to beat me... But then I had no reflex in my left ankle which is the painful side..It's been hurting this bad since Sat.

I emailed SteveO, but looking for other input. Has anyone else had their pain flare up to intolerable levels after having successful bouts? Anyone else had bulge discs? Or loss of reflex and gotten better through TMS approach? I would love to hear others experiences, cause I was feeling like I was winning. Then I get blindsided.

Woodyb

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  15:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

WoodyB, did I answer you when you emailed me? I try to respond to everyone.

Did you read my page 101-102? That same thing of shooting to intolerable levels happened to me over and over. You can't lift 200 lbs. in a deadlift without pain if it's a true injury.

I also lost my reflexes but it was TMS.

Each time you get "blindsided" you fall back into structural thinking mode if you don't really believe you have TMS. It's when you move to the deeper level that you heal. Por ejemple, toward the end of my healing I would get blindsided by pain and I would still know for certain and without doubt that I had TMS. I never began to doubt again that it may be structural. That was at the end of healing, not at the beginning. It reveals your doubt that you have TMS, just like I had early on.

I've never seen EFT not be a case of placebo. I'm not saying it is or isn't. But I've never seen a case where it wasn't, and the person's pain shifted or got worse. EMDR appears to have a better result, but very few of the TMS doctors believe in any of these. They are "re-directors" and so solve nothing, only bypass problems--as power therapies.

But when in pain, we do what we can because pain is painful.

Steve

Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  15:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coincidentally, Dr. James Alexander just now responded to my earlier post asking about EFT; it would be interesting if a dialogue comes of that.
Go to Top of Page

woodyb

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  17:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SteveO,

I sent the email last night via your profile on here.

I've been a lot better this flare up on actually believing that it's caused by emotions rather than structurally. And It hit me so hard, well above any pain I've felt before. Which seems to me that it's getting desperate. It helps that I had such a physical two weeks prior, and just bending a little caused so much pain as opposed to deadlifting or running 7 miles (required for work) the day after Dr. Schubiner emailed me. It is just so rediculous what my pain is doing, doesn't make sense.

I know in your book it said you'd have flare ups and then reach a better plateau. That's what I'm hoping for.

Woodyb
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  17:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodyb

SteveO,

I sent the email last night via your profile on here.

I've been a lot better this flare up on actually believing that it's caused by emotions rather than structurally. And It hit me so hard, well above any pain I've felt before. Which seems to me that it's getting desperate. It helps that I had such a physical two weeks prior, and just bending a little caused so much pain as opposed to deadlifting or running 7 miles (required for work) the day after Dr. Schubiner emailed me. It is just so rediculous what my pain is doing, doesn't make sense.

I know in your book it said you'd have flare ups and then reach a better plateau. That's what I'm hoping for.

Woodyb

not to worry woodyb-yes i was on cloud nine about a month into learning about tms-then had a severe flare up for about two weeks-then i kept just knowing that it was tms as steveo said above and i didnt give up on my (thinking) then the pain began to gradually faid and id put percentages on it-not to moniter myself-but to talk tms pain here and in about three months ,i got better and have been better since-and woody i was in debilitating pain-now again yes you can get better and then fall back and then gradually heal ,maybe even fall back a few times,i did-heres the key-stay the course-keep believeing and you will heal,we have to be aware ,accepting,and re-leasing of emotions that r causing us to hurt-im sure if you have steves book -or have read steveos gems by tennis tom then you will get a grip on what im saying-add affirmations as ace1 keys to healing will clearly help there and so many areas-its a rd of self discovery woodyb,even tho i got better rather quickly-i wasnt expecting to heal that fast because i had no time limit-i was in for the long haul and still am,ive had 1 pinky pain(very miner) for one day in the past month and it went away-it was an emotional problem-i understood how to correct it and i did(i understand i have control over the pain-instead of the pain having control over me)-the more we stay the course and study and apply our studys the more closer we get to freedom-remember the change is within us,we have to reach out and get the tools that help us understand the journey within-as i said steveos book is awesome -
have you been reading post here about your particular situation?
and to get in on pspas post i have studied faster eft and i find it to be about releaseing surpressed emotions and changing our perceptions -and saying affirmations which is all part of the tms journey-see i was totally healed before i looked into faster eft,only after understanding tms healing-sarno,steveo-did i then see the benefits of faster eft-nlp and so forth-if you have one program to get doun to a t-its sarno and steveo-you will heal-i did-

Edited by - eric watson on 12/17/2012 18:21:31
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  19:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi WoodyB,

You wrote an interesting word "fiance'", that indicates an imminent change to your homeostasis, which can create TMS symptoms in "T" personalities. Take a look at the Holmes-Rahe list in the link below to see what may be going on emotionally that has been proven to cause TMS dis-ease, (just don't tell your fiance' you heard it from me).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  19:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tennis tom is so right-its hard when the other half doesnt really know of the stresses we face-i used to have severe pain every time me and my wife would have disagreements or just knowing the pressures that come with relationships is a mt to climb in itself
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  20:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric, My dad taught me the secret to a happy marriage: just keep saying: Yes dear. You are right honey. Thank you sweet heart.

My wife just raised my allowance another dollar this month, Yeah!

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

woodyb

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  20:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You bring up such a great point... Here's a story about me buying the ring that just holds true to TMS... Went to bed with a 3/10 on a scale, knew I had to get up and go get the ring cause she'd be at work that Saturday... Wake up with a 6/10... Hadnt up to that point been a 7/10 before...

I mean I get it, like there's no reason to just wake up in excruciating pain... Except when the subcon. mind wants to distract you... I get that my inner child was ticked off, losing my freedom, someone depending on me, and so on...

It ticks me off that I can't just beat it, because it's always a day off that I'll wake up and the pain does something... It happened the very first time I felt this, went to bed in zero pain wake up with a 1-2/10, nothing bad, just annoying. Woke a couple months later went up to 3-4/10... Then the ring episode... It just doesn't make sense because some days I wake up and the pain is back down to a 4,5, or 6 out of 10. I feel a little like its mad at me this time (8-9/10) For having such a good few weeks and becoming
More intensely physical.

I thank all of you for writing on this post and giving me .

Woodyb
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  12:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balto

Eric, My dad taught me the secret to a happy marriage: just keep saying: Yes dear. You are right honey. Thank you sweet heart.

My wife just raised my allowance another dollar this month, Yeah!

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.

balto your advice is well taken ,i have been practicing this method for about two months now-see heres my new issue or outcome-im doing tons more yard work-i do the dishes after work every after noon now and i walk the dog at least three times a week more-so in response to the venus and mars thing-i think im winning
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  12:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You bring up such a great point... Here's a story about me buying the ring that just holds true to TMS... Went to bed with a 3/10 on a scale, knew I had to get up and go get the ring cause she'd be at work that Saturday... Wake up with a 6/10... Hadnt up to that point been a 7/10 before...

I mean I get it, like there's no reason to just wake up in excruciating pain... Except when the subcon. mind wants to distract you... I get that my inner child was ticked off, losing my freedom, someone depending on me, and so on...

It ticks me off that I can't just beat it, because it's always a day off that I'll wake up and the pain does something... It happened the very first time I felt this, went to bed in zero pain wake up with a 1-2/10, nothing bad, just annoying. Woke a couple months later went up to 3-4/10... Then the ring episode... It just doesn't make sense because some days I wake up and the pain is back down to a 4,5, or 6 out of 10. I feel a little like its mad at me this time (8-9/10) For having such a good few weeks and becoming
More intensely physical.

I thank all of you for writing on this post and giving me .

Woodyb

woodyb your getting it ,stressors-triggers-conditioning
keep us up-dated,
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  12:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(quote woodyb) Has anyone else had their pain flare up to intolerable levels after having successful bouts? Anyone else had bulge discs? Or loss of reflex and gotten better through TMS approach? I would love to hear others experiences, cause I was feeling like I was winning.......

yes,yes,yes,this is how the 2 week wave of pain came on me woody
a great work out -heavy weight-next day no pain
i posted about it here if you want to check into my dicussion
i worked out again heavy deadlifts -300lbs(reps) ,no pain while working out-
i forgot the name of the post but i said that working out was making me better
and i think ace and steveo had come to the rescue to tell me it was not
it was my understanding of the tms that was doing that
and then i think not many days later, i wrote and told how i was in pain again
this was when i began to notice that i had a conditioned loop to lifting weights
when id work out, id think no fear-no pain and id be fine
but when i was done, in my mind i was thinking (i wonder when am i gonna hurt again-)
also hitting the weights was my last injury that led to the tms i had ,so i was conditioned to think in my subconscious that the weights were going to do it again,
after i understood this and got that out of my head (the conditioning)
then went back to work out with no fear (thanks balto)
i got better working out with the weights and had no pain working out since.
i still had to understand the role that emotions-surpressed and repressed and personality traits played in my continued pain even when i didnt work out
your at the right place
steveos book,steveos post-aces keys to healing-TTs humor and perserverance-and so many more helped me tons in all these areas
stay the course woody-it aint if-its when you get healed

Edited by - eric watson on 12/20/2012 09:20:03
Go to Top of Page

woodyb

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  06:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric! Your words are reassuring!

Woodyb
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  09:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Eric! Your words are reassuring!

Woodyb

thank you woodyb,god bless
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  10:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, pain increasing, decreasing, increasing, decreasing --- classic TMS.
Go to Top of Page

woodyb

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  21:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Shawn!

Woodyb
Go to Top of Page

alangordon

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  02:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Woody,
This is very common. A lot of TMSers have a severe increase in pain shortly after a drastic reduction.

This is known in behaviorism as an extinction burst.

The fear and attention toward the pain actually serve to reinforce the pain.

When you stop reinforcing a behavior, you’d think that the behavior would just immediately stop. But they’ve found that that isn’t the case. When you stop giving the rat food pellets for running on the wheel, he actually runs harder and faster at first, before he stops running altogether. When you stop giving the two-year-old candy, his tantrums actually get worse before they go away. No one likes to lose a behavior that’s working, so there’s a little resistance once the reinforcement is taken away.

How is this relevant to the pain? Often when you take away the pain’s reinforcement (fear, attention, etc.) the pain gets worse before it goes away. The mind does not like to lose a defense mechanism any more than a toddler likes to lose his candy-getting behavior. So just know that if you stop reinforcing the pain and it starts getting worse, don’t panic, that’s just an extinction burst; it means you’re on the right track.

Alan
Go to Top of Page

bjackson034

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  16:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar thing happened to me too, but was just a temporary setback.

Edited by - bjackson034 on 12/22/2012 16:06:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000