TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Emotional Causes of Cancer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  10:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an amazing article, and explains a lot to me personally. I am so grateful you posted this, thank you.

Love Wins.
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  10:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

TMS equivalents means the psychological results in a need for symptoms, which could be anything, and that all that means,- an illness related to tension

Again, forgive me for perhaps not getting it, although I have read several books as well as much on this forum. I can understand, at least at the theoretical level, the creation of benign pain to distract the individual from unacceptable emotions. I have read people defending and questioning that proposition. But leaving that aside, it seems a horse of an altogether different color to suggest that the mind will create a potentially fatal disease to distract the individual from unacceptable emotions. That to me, and maybe I am thinking about it too literally or linearly, does not make sense from any perspective. I understand, on the other hand, the theory that a highly stressed invidivual's resistance to disease can break down. These two concepts do not seem to me to be the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  10:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not looking at it from Dr. Sarno's perpective, so I am looking at it from a stress standpoint. However, if you want to take it to another level with Dr. Sarno's theory, one could look at it as first mild illnesses that are distractions and then if not "fixed", the body goes into self destruct mode
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  10:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, that is a helpful way of looking at it.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  13:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalo

This is one of the many reasons I will not visit this forum much!

Hi Kalo,

Sorry this topic is scary to you, I've been in your frame of mind at times and suggest you just ignore the topic and forget you ever saw it here. I would suggest you read the threads that are more helpful to you. I think if it's in your emotional comfort level, it may be good for you in the long run, to open up and explore the things that are troubling to you about this forum and you are welcome to include me in it.

Happy Holidays,
tt

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  14:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a person with health anxiety, the balance between exposure/desensitization (which as Ace1 says is ultimately the best treatment) and avoidance of fear-provoking stressors is a delicate one.
Go to Top of Page

Cath

116 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  02:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know from experience that this topic is scary, but generally I find that knowledge and discussion helps to alleviate the fear and anxiety. Aren't we supposed to be facing our fears and laughing them.

The personality traits described in the article are me. But this knowledge will help me to try to change now.
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  05:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cath

I know from experience that this topic is scary, but generally I find that knowledge and discussion helps to alleviate the fear and anxiety. Aren't we supposed to be facing our fears and laughing them.

The personality traits described in the article are me. But this knowledge will help me to try to change now.

we can face our fears and change-thats what tms awareness is all about-this is a deep and sensitive subject-god bless you balto-
my mom went home to be with the lord in 2003-she smoked-she had severe fear and anxiety which i know was terrible tms traits that she would not face or let go of...i know she coughed hard from the time i was just an infant-
at times i thought she wouldnt be able to catch her breath and die of suffication-it was very frientening to me as a child and adult-after and in between the spells she would light another cigarette and say it helped her breathe better-even as a little boy i knew this wasnt true-
i knew the smoke was agitating her lungs but i didnt know of the power of fear and extreme anxiety a hold it could have in peoples lives-i was in constant fear for her then.

i think her tms anxiety was the catlyst for her to reach for another cigerette and it was habitual-i know the coughing was just a by product of her addiction-and by staying in this habit of smoke irritation,severe fear and extreme anxiety she passed at the young age of 64-

i believe carcigens played a powerful role in this all but it was the fear of death that i remember that had such a powerful hold on her,she didnt know about acceptance and letting go-when she grew up it was a time that if my mom was a worrier well i was a worrier and thats it,no change,-i was born this way shed say to me,you cant change that.
its hope that can move the mountain i know now,if we want we can change -theres no doubt some fear rest in us all,its the extreme fear and anxiety that i saw take my mom so early,

i know the carcigens didnt help but my aunt smoked her whole life and lived to be 89-although i beleive she died of a broken heart but i never remeber her in extreme fear,but she to had an anxiety of always looking out the window and worrying about her children-i just never remember her in extreme fear like my mom-
but aunt pauline smoked about 2 packs a day
the case with baltos neice(again balto i am sorry)i believe is proof from the other end of the spectrum that sometimes we just dont know why....

Edited by - eric watson on 12/20/2012 05:26:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000