TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 daily reminders for psychological equivilants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deer

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  09:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the book HBP Sarno writes some daily reminders to review everyday.Included in these is:That I will not be concerned by the pain and I will resume normal physical activity.

I would like to know how to approach my symptoms that don't pertain to physical activity,like my psychotic episode.I think that I had the episode because I was putting a great deal of pressure on myself . I can't say to myself that by overworking myself nothing will happen to me.I must be cautious and a bit fearfull of not overworking myself lest I have another episode.In addition,I would like to know the same with anxiety and OCD.

Edited by - deer on 03/09/2005 15:03:26

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  12:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That episode was a one-time event. That's how you should view it. Don't be concerned at all about it happening again, because it won't. You now know exactly what its cause was, so if you feel it coming on, you will be able to stop it in its tracks by not allowing it to happen.

This is the attitude I take with severe back spasms. I know that I will never have them again, at least not the debilitating kind that had me bedridden for a week. When I'm aware of any back pain at all, I prepare for battle.

You said: I must be cautious and a bit fearfull of not overwoking myself lest I have another episode. This is not the right attitude; you are playing right into TMS's hands. You can't escape the everyday stresses of life. But you can control the pressure you put on yourself. You can become aware of that trait, recognize it, and accept that it is the source of the rage.
Go to Top of Page

deer

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  14:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,I agree one hundred percent that it is wrong to have any fear.However,I would like to know what kind of actions I can take to prove to my unconcious that it is not fooling me.For example,Dr. Sarno says that it is very important for one to resume physical activity.However,when it comes to a psychological symptom like a psychotic episode there is no physical activity that one can do.In my case, the psychological symptoms were probably due (in part) to all the pressure that I put on myself to perform well in my studies and to be a good person.Therefore it would seem that I should continue to go about my studying with the same intensity as before just like Dr. Sarno says to do with physical activity.However,it is definetly not smart for me to study as hard anymore because that adds to the inner rage.In addition,with regards to my chronic fatigue,since the biggest negative with the fatigue is that I can no longer study at school anymore, than it would seem that by resuming my regular studies in school, I would be repudating the physical symptom of fatigue.However, with this as well, I would be adding to the pool of rage by pressuring myself to study when it is very difficult for me to concentrate on studies.

Edited by - deer on 03/09/2005 14:12:33
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  18:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said before, forget about that episode. You seem to be obsessing about it (and probably other things as well, which is a TMS equivalent). You have to try your best not to fear that another attack will occur. It will take time.

Take the time to really think about the inner rage. The cause is not "studying too hard." It is what causes you to study so hard in the first place. Ask yourself why you put so much pressure on yourself to be successful in your studies. Why is it so important? What are you trying to prove? Who are you trying to prove it to?

It seems you still have quite a bit of psychological work to do. You're addressing the surface, but you're not digging deeper.
Go to Top of Page

deer

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  19:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I have come to realize that it is deep feelings of inferiority that is driving me to study so hard.I have also come to recognize that my fathers intense personality probably was part of the cause for the feelings of inferioty.
However,Sarno writes that besides for the rage that is due to our childhood ,there exists yet another rage that is caused by the pressures that we put on ourselves every day,due to our personality makeup.It is this stessor that I inquire about.I have seen it been said in some of the books and on this board that somethings should be changed in our lifestyle to reduce some of the stressors.
I am therefore asking whether I should try too change my lifestyle a bit and reduce my studying.On the other hand,maybe by not studying I am giving in to the symptom distractions which include the psychotic episode and chronic fatigue.Since the worst part of the chronic fatigue is not beiing able to sit down and study.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deer

However,Sarno writes that besides for the rage that is due to our childhood ,there exists yet another rage that is caused by the pressures that we put on ourselves every day,due to our personality makeup.

They are really one in the same. The personality traits of perfectionism and goodism stem from feelings of inferiority. Once you realize it and accept it you can recondition yourself.

Of course you can still study hard, but when it gets to the point of anxiety and obsession, you have to stop and talk to yourself, and find out where those drives are coming from. They are TMS equivalents.

As for what constitutes studying too hard that's up to you. By putting in that extra bit of hard work, are you really affecting your grades? Could you get the same grades by studying a little less? Or, if you got an A- instead of an A, would it be the end of the world?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000