TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Different types of meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  14:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't find any recent threads on point so thought I would post. I have been investigating meditation and it seems there are numerous types, among them TM (which seems at first blush to have features of both a business and a cult), other forms of mantra meditation, mindfulness meditation, guided visualization, and so forth. I am looking to begin some sort of practice and wondered if anyone had any specific experience that might be helpful.

Goodney

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  14:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About a year ago I underwent Vipassana Meditation training. Vipassana is an insight meditation.It is a 10 day course. It is very demanding, and if you attend, you must be really committed to completing the entire course. There is no speaking allowed, a strict vegetarian diet is followed, and no intoxicants of any kind are tolerated. It is physically and mentally grueling, and certainly not for everybody. This particular form of Vipassana was brought to the West by S.N. Goenka, who by the way is still alive. I still practice, and it has certainly had a huge impact on my life.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  18:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to read more about the effect of Meditation and Western's research on it, the book The Relaxtion Respond by Dr Herbert Benson is often recommended. He also teach some very simple but effective technique in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Relaxation_Response

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  19:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also been looking for a type of meditation to work for me with my TMS back pain. I think I have finally found something that might work for me. I am reading a book by Neuroscientist Andrew Newberg called
¨How God Changes Your Brain¨. You can ignore the God part if you want. They have used a meditation called Kirtan Kriya to help patients with memory problems and other issues of the brain. This form of meditation is very simple and integrates the elements of breathing, sound and movement. I like it because it is extremely easy to learn and does not require lifestyle changes. So far, this and exercise has really been helping my TMS pain. I also like it because I don´t need a group or instructor. I have tried other types alone and in groups with instructors, but never found the right fit. Even if the meditation is not right for you, the book is extremely interesting. It really explains how different parts of the brain work and how meditation can change the neurological pathways of the brain.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  10:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi chickenbone ... I recently "discovered" the Kirtan Kriya meditation on doing a google search for "12 minute meditation" and then realized you had posted about this some months ago... I was wondering if you were still practicing it and what your results have been / how you are feeling about it now?

I'm asking because I had a VERY surprising experience of my own... Background is that I have done various "mindfulness-based" meditations over the years (once saw Jon Kabat Zinn in person which was a highlight), but overall would say I have had "mixed results" with "mindfulness" and it was more of a discipline than anything else.

But the first time I tried the Kirtan Kriya meditation I had a very marked, totally surprising (and welcome!) uplift in my mood. It was profound. Nothing like this related to meditation (or any other of the many relaxation methods I've tried over the years) has ever happened to me before.

I honestly don't know whether it was the bless of the moment (all the stars aligned, including one of the major stressors in my life being removed, basically clean bill of health from recent blood tests, sun shining here, etc.), or the unique nature of the sa ta na ma meditation which blends the mudras (hand movements) with the chant AND the music. I wondered whether it was the special music alone which triggered my brain to a new place. I happened to find and be listening to this audio track:

http://www.sikhnet.com/gurbani/audio/kirtan-kriya-31-min

I am, of course, always interested in improving my brain functioning as a whole, and the research intrigued me, which encouraged me to give it a go. But I wasn't expecting anything much and certainly not on a first trial run. I am frankly, gobsmacked.

Anyway, just thought I'd check in w/ you and see what your experience has been, now that it's been some months later.

Anyone else using this form of meditation?
I have no idea how this might affect my own TMS (I know various members have reported a whole continuum of results from different forms of meditation, from "didn't work" to "very significant") but I intend to play this out for a while and see how it might affect my life as a whole ...

(pspa: did you ever find a meditation method which fit for you? and if so, how's it going?)

~RSR

Edited by - RageSootheRatio on 07/20/2013 10:29:24
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  18:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RSR - I still use it and continue to get great results. It is a really good meditation because it clears everything out of my mind in a hurry. I also have had very good results using it with music.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  06:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, chickenbone! Your still using it and deriving benefits so many months later is very encouraging! ~ RSR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000