TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Dr. Arthur Janov's Primal Therapy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  11:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever heard of Dr. Janov. He wrote a book that I am reading now called The Primal Scream. I find it intiuging, becuase he definetly believes that most of today's illnesses are caused by the repression of emotions. I have only read 20 pages of the book so far, but I believe he is right in line with Sarnoo, and the book goes into further detail about getting into those emotions that we have repressed. It's kind of like a self-help psychotherapy to help find those repressed emotions. Has any else heard of him? If not his website is www.primaltherapy.com

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  20:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard about Janov and Primal Scream back in the early 70's. I think John Lennon of the Beatles went through the program and wrote a song or two about it.
Ralph
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  13:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know that. But very interesting. I came across the book while reading an article about Sarno. The guy who wrote the article said the book helps people find what they are repressing in the unconscious. The things that may cause us to be perfectionists , goodists or worriers. I thought it may help some of us to find out what is causing our symptoms. I'll let everyone know when I finish the book.
Go to Top of Page

iyusaf

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  12:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, Sarno and Janov are two sides of the same coin.

There are plenty of negative anecdotes related to orthodox Janov, but the core of his discovery, like Sarno's discovery, is nothing short of revolutionary.

You might want to check out John Speyrer's website which offers a more comprehensive look at regressive therapies, including more human-centered approaches to Primal Therapy -- www.primal-page.com.

With regard to music related to Primal Therapy, check out Songs from the Big Chair by Tears for Fears. I also like Gary Jules' cover of It's a Mad World.

I'm not checking the forum regularly, so feel free to PM/email me.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  12:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read the first 100 pages of Janov's original book "The Primal Scream" published in 1970. This part of the 400 plus pages book describes the basic theory. I recommend this book to anyone who suffers from persistent TMS that does not yield to Sarno's approach to healing.

He basically is saying that all nerosis (TMS included) is the result of original pain(either physical and/or emotional) in childhood that has been forgotten in adulthood. The pain can be one catastrophic event that is too much to bear or it can be the culmination of many smaller experiences that tip the balance from the real self to the false or unreal self. The unreal self is the defense system created to enable the person to survive. The defense system, in all its varied forms, is set up to keep that original pain hidden.

Primal therapy is a full on assault on that defense system to break it down so the hidden true feelings can come out. The scream occurs when the defense system crumbles and you are totally engulfed in the emotion and are reliving your original pain.

I don't know if this therapy is right for me yet but it does look appealing.

I just perchased the re-write of this book "The New Primal Scream" (1990) which should be a good read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000