TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Getting to sleep trick
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  17:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I had difficulty sleeping. I was still awake at 2.00 am, my brain chatting with itself about TMS. This was not very productive, as all I could come up with was my ‘Look at your three Pees’ Post.

After a trip downstairs for milk and 12 cookies I used the following trick to finally get to sleep, it’s my form of meditating:

I lay on my back and reduced all pressure from bedding on my body and relaxed.

I inhaled (per Clinton), deeply and slowly with purpose, acknowledging and focusing on the air in my lungs.

I breathed out as far as possible exhausting all the air in my lungs.

I cleared my head of all other thoughts and chit-chat.

I repeated this until I sighed. My head got a bit dizzy, (possibly hyperventilation).

I continued until I yawned.

I dozed off.

I can only say this seems to work for me, as I cannot really recall the moment I finally got off.

Credit to Dr. Andrew Weil for the breathing bit, as well as recommending Dr. Sarno’s Healing Back Pain.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 10/18/2012 17:16:53

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  00:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Andy!
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  08:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy, here's an article about sleep that Balto found a while back. It gives a new/old perspective on the subject and alleviated any concern I had about lying awake fighting to go back to sleep. Now I use those couple of hours productively and even look forward to them.

Broken, segmented sleep is normal according to this article at BBC news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783 . Maybe you're one of those normal and the rest of us here are not normal rbart!
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  10:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, bryan3000 and TT.

I am enlightened TT, I read the whole UK article, as I never looked into it before. When I worked I remember a friend related his sleep apnea issues and treatment to me, and I thought it over the top.

Actually my approach to sleep has changed since I retired, and I worry much less. When I was on a rush work project I used to fret-worry and design in my head all night long - sometimes getting up to make sketches in my office. What a life!

Now my sleep and life patterns revolve around family activities. Yesterday after a two hour workout at the gym I took a long nap at 3.00 in the afternoon. Retirement is so good! My sleep trick doesn’t always work, so I often go downstairs lift weights, or do Yoga, Milk and cookies, anything to break the chatter in my head.

It’s comforting to perhaps be normal.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  12:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BRILLIANT!! Everyone.

Ace, YES, this my impatience at work here. I have only been working on my healing for 2 months and it will take much longer if it is to be a complete cure this time. (Although I realize that in a sense we have it for a lifetime). I am going to step up my reading and applying the Keys during the day to prepare myself better for nighttime when I am more vulnerable.

Andy, I really enjoyed your post. Exercising is a really good idea when I can't sleep and I love to do it. I could even generate some low level soreness. That would really get me out of my mind. I am even thinking about going outside to listen to the ocean, if it won't wake up my husband. I will also try your breathing technique when I get back to bed. It is nice being retired. I was sort of forced into it young, at 54, because my husband is older, and I guess I did not like it at first, but now I am appreciating it more.

TT - I read that article too. It was very good. I don't mind at all having my sleep broken up as long as I can get enough. I judge "getting enough" not by how many hours, but by feeling refreshed in the morning.

Thanks everyone, this gives me some things to work on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000