TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Please weigh in, need support and advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  11:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
I haven't been on here in a while so I apologize but I am desperate for your help. A month ago I was jogging and my ankle "rolled" outward and sprained. The ankle is still mildly swollen and lightly clicking still a month later and an xray showed no bone damage and an MRI showed inflammation but no tears. I am in so much pain mostly on the inner ankle side, not the outer side that rolled (hurts on the inner side near the arch of the foot, not the outer area where it rolled and is swollen). I started going to PT last week for the ankle to help speed along healing and strengthen it. I am always the first to blame TMS for stuff not getting better but maybe I'm just being impatient, not sure. I am so frustrated and in so much pain walking just a couple city blocks despite babying it otherwise and doing my PT exercises daily. I of course am wondering if my TMS gremlin is using the real sprain as an excuse to keep up the pain that but not sure if I'm just getting too impatient. Anyone have experience with mild ankle sprains and if you think I'm overanalyzing this? I can think of a couple things going on in my life right now that have me worried and anxious but not sure if this is just the old "give it time" approach or what. In addition to the ankle my left pelvis area has been feeling achey and "stuck" for like 5 months so I got an MRI and it showed inflammation at the obturator internus which is part of the inner thigh. All I can think of is I overdid the weights on the inner thigh machine or it's TMS so I'm addressing that in PT for the past week as well and it's not feeling better. I appreciate all input.

Edited by - marytabby on 10/10/2012 11:08:22

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  14:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Marytabby,

Wow I thought I’d finished on the forum for today, but felt compelled to answer your post. Remember I’m not an expert.

In 2005 I twisted my ankle on the outside while doing PT for a broken foot, first ever injury of this kind. I had atrophy after the cast was removed and my foot hurt all over. The exercise was to roll my foot around on spongy pillow, and I clearly over did it, my fault!

I believe this injury was either ligaments or tendons with a lengthy heal time.

If your pain was like mine, it’s real, don’t let TMS get in here, you twisted it didn’t you? I was impatient also, but think this is detrimental. Do all the exercises your therapist offers. I did Ice and hot dips. My advice is to wear supportive shoes at all times if you can. Above all find out what the expected recovery time is and believe it, expect months not weeks. Also believe the MRI, and ignore the clicking, I had this as well.

My pain from my twisted ankle disappeared completely after six months, as I progressed into my windsurfing activities the next summer. But I have to also add some truth here. The next winter, and inactive time for me, my ankle suddenly gave way! It happened “out of the blue” while walking through Home Depot. This sudden giving way is painful and gives you a quite a shock. This happens quite often even this summer, I think it could be pain memory or I have antagonized it somewhat with activity. My approach is to think: “it’s not serious, favor it a little for a few steps and carry on.”

Only you know if you are over analyzing, this is good! Find out what’s realistically wrong, then believe it, then accept the recovery time frame with patience.

I’m new at working out on machines, they are designed to strengthen your muscles by a slight tearing process, expect pain from this.

Another of my posts about my recent MCL issue on my knee.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7760

By the way do you have a cat? We have a princess tabby cat called Tessa, she is very spoiled!

Good luck

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 10/10/2012 14:44:10
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  14:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,
I do have a tabby that I'm fostering! I know the ankle is sprained because it's swollen. I just think sometimes TMS makes things worse so I threw that in a possibility for why it's not budging with healing. I am doing all the PT exercises for it like a perfect student. As for the adductor inner thigh, that I am not so sure what's going on. Thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  20:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Martytabby,

I agree that TMS can home in on a current or old injury, lucky me, this has only happened to me once; we are all different in our experiences.

I noticed you said a month has passed since you twisted your ankle and that it is still swollen. Are you exercising too much (as per perfect student), you said you started last week? My ankle healed in its own time frame; maybe your expectations are too high. Find out what the normal recovery time is from a MD and you might feel better about it.

Also remember your ankle never really gets a rest even under normal conditions because you walk continually. Maybe stay at home for a day or so and pamper that tabby cat.

Wishing you well

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 10/10/2012 21:00:10
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  21:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MT, I've had numerous sprained ankles. Do a search "sprained ankle" and my name and you can get some info and useful tips. My first and worst took a year to heal to the point where I could not remember which ankle it was. TMS is the volume control for the pain.

G'luck

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/10/2012 22:18:32
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  06:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom,
What do you mean TMS is the volume control for the pain?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  08:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marytabby

Thanks Tom,
What do you mean TMS is the volume control for the pain?

I don't quite remember anymore, I've forgotten more then I know about this stuff. I used to use that line a lot and liked the way it sounds. It's been a while since I've said it, so I thought I'd throw it in for effect. Maybe someone else can interpret what I meant, I'm curious myself now.

Re: your ankle sprain, use it gingerly for a few weeks, wrap it with a Koban type of "ace" bandage. Wrap with trainer's tape if you must use it to perform, like playing in a tournament finals the afternoon you sprained it. Other then that follow your ortho's advice and maybe do some PT.

G'luck!

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  15:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom, Marytabby,

I’ll have a stab at interpreting what you meant Tom. I searched your posts and you have used this quote extensively. However it was Stryder’s post that explained it best to me.

Stryder 3/8/2012
TT is right. TMS just runs up the volume to get your attention. It’s a distraction.

My comments:
Your pain will increase in intensity enough to get your attention to distract you.
OR
TMS will keep increasing the pain in marytabby’s ankle enough to make her desperate to post her questions. This physical pain may be distracting her from her from real issue:

“I can think of a couple things going on in my life right now that have me worried and anxious”.

It’s a great concept Tom, the higher the volume or pain - the more you are distracted from the real physiological cause of pain.

How's that tabby cat?

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 10/11/2012 15:10:38
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  11:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Andy, now I get it. Thanks!!!
I think the hip adductor muscle may be TMS but not sure so I guess I have to keep at that a bit with my thinking.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000