TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Repeating the keys to healing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  09:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is listed below is what I believe is the basic cause of most illness, this however does not mean an illness cannot kill or cripple you. I therefore state you must be fully medically evaluated for serious conditions and treated for them by a physician before embarking on this treatment. This treatment is supposed to be supplementary to medical care.

Outcomes using what is listed is at the users own risk, no one else is responsible. You must understand that any outcome is possible.

There is a lot of repetition listed below with the same thing said in different ways which may possibly help you understand it better.

The main reason for the development of illness/symptoms is an excited inner nervous state (feeling on edge), usually related to something that you have made too important or have worried about on repeated occasions in the past.

The excited inner state becomes very frequent prior to someone becoming ill. It becomes almost natural to the person that they are usually unaware of it.

Another way to look at it is a mental strain and a lack of mental control. What this means is that your nervous system is activated very easily to things going on around you. (Ie the need to hurry and do such and such, annoyance by tasks or some of the people around you).

Tasks that you have made very important to yourself or have rushed in result in a strong habitual urge/drive to perform them this way in the future. These strong urges/drives contribute to the inner tension and stimulate your nervous system.

Also since it also feels uncomfortable to be mentally excited/strained, you want to either rush/escape (push your body faster than possible) through this feeling and situation or you/your body wants to brace/push in some way in reaction to the excitement. This also contributes to inner tension.

Two traits that typically contribute to this having this process happen frequently or intensely is perfectionism and kindness to the point that you are always looking after others needs over your own.

Many people whom try to be perfect, have high drives, or want to please others do this because it is an over compensation from possible hidden feelings of not being good enough. This is usually stems from childhood.

Since affected persons have very strong drives, they always want to exceed their body's capability. They are pushing/forcing their body parts to try to work beyond their capability, especially when their mind is excited.

The pushing/bracing leads to a physical strain on top of the inner tension. If you rush, you have an urge to go faster than you can and you want to make your body perform tasks faster than the time it takes for it to perform them. This is considered a strain since the energy put into this does not help the body part work faster or stronger, it just makes it dysfunctional. If you brace, you’re putting a pressure or strain on a body part which also makes it temporarily dysfunctional. The dysfunctional body part produces symptoms.

Usually symptoms occur in areas that are used a lot when the person is mentally strained (i.e. a leg in someone training for a marathon), an area that a person is afraid of for some reason (i.e.. a parent with bad back pain, so you are afraid of being the same way), or a previously injured or a malformed area.

Even real physical injuries/wounds will become more painful/symptomatic when the person's nerves are more strained/excited.

The above listed process is associated with holding ones breath and bracing with the thought that I/my body will relax after whatever the situation is over.

The process over time becomes a habit and your mind becomes used to react this way automatically when placed in similar situations. This is the process of conditioning.

This process leads to the person becoming more impatient (wanting to do everything fast) and usually easily irritated (not wanting to be bothered) which in itself leads to the excited nervous state which starts the process over again.

Illness generated by this process also feeds the cycle of the excited state by sensitizing your nerves further. This is done by fear and making the person rush more so the person can finish tasks faster to rest since they are symptomatic or in pain.

If you pay enough attention, you will see you are conditioned to have symptoms/pain many, many times in your day. Things like I said previously that you've done with a lot of intensity. Things like going to work, traveling, eating dinner etc.

You should try to go into these strained, conditioned situations with the understanding of why your mind is reacting this way at this particular time and act the opposite to what you did before.

You must try to not push (to try to go faster) or brace with your body in anyway. You want to actually see if you can maintain your body in a relaxed state as best as you can and watch if you are continuously breathing. You can even do tasks that are physically demanding in this manner.

No fighting or trying to force the body part to work correctly. Understand that a start of a symptom is a good cue for you to relax your mind and the body part effected as best as you can, which you may need to do this through your whole day.

When a body part is in pain or producing symptoms you will see that there is a tendency to react to it by pushing/bracing this area more. Try to prevent this from happening.

The urge/drive to go fast and escape conditioned sensitized situations is the most common reason for symptoms in my mind. You are usually worried that you don't make it in time or the thing your anticipating does come at a time to your liking. This is also the hardest thing to see since it is ever present and therefore must be recognized by following symptom patterns.

The urge/push to exceed your body's capability or to get somewhere can many times be equivalent to pain. Because you have had this urge so long, usually the meaning of it is lost and its effect is the only thing felt. Try to bring back the meaning to the urge to be able to relax it better.

The second most common reason for symptoms is anger, irritation and annoyance, to the point that you can't stand it (exceeding your body's capability). Try to make the link with your symptoms. This is easier than seeing the link with rushing but still difficult in the beginning.

Common other scenarios for causing symptoms are focusing, concentrating, rigidity, intensity, worrying, making things too, too important such as the process of going to work, trying to make a certain time (which could be for no logical important reason or like feeling you've been in a location too long).

As you can see, the most common cause of symptoms are not some hidden, big thing but one's learned intense habits in mundane, normal living.

You have to learn to accept your symptoms fully for a period of time until your practice improves you. Worrying about symptoms or waiting for them to go away will only sensitize your nerves more.

You should not avoid sensitized/conditioned situations, but decondition when the opportunity arises. In other words continue to go to work, sit at the computer, drive, go out to dinner, meet with friends etc.

When you go into these strained conditioned situations, if you don't do anything or react to your symptoms and if you try your best not to escape but accept, you many times will get an intense anxiety feeling. The anxiety feeling is good and you have to just continue to sit in it until it fades away. On the other hand, if you try to escape, or focus and/or do something about to the symptoms, the symptoms will persist instead of the anxiety and you will have made no progress.

Fidgeting is a reaction similar to trying to escape. It means the person is mental strained and cannot tolerate sitting still in it. Stop fidgeting and sit in your discomfort until it dissipates.

Your mind is kind of like a computer that has too many screens up at one time and it freezes. The mind kind of does a similar thing when over stimulated or demanded.

It is not good to ignore/forget about the things in your life that bother you and move on. Many people mistakenly think this is the best way to relax about an issue. This is a big mistake and is called repression. You need to see your strained state to the issues and relax it in any way possible. You have to keep the cause of the strain in your mind until your mind becomes comfortable with the issue. This usually takes a lot of practice.

Almost everyone does the dysfunctional behavior that is mentioned here to some degree, but the more one does it, the sicker in general that person is. It also seems that this process is strengthened with time and age especially if someone is living with chronic symptoms. Childhood is the main environmental factor determining what degree a person is affected.

Because the person is so used to their uncomfortable nervous state and to the way they brace to it or try to push their body beyond its limit, it becomes very hard to see and very easy to focus on the bodily symptoms produced.

Remember, if your mental state wasn't excited, you wouldn't have symptoms. The problem is because of the habit/conditioned process, it becomes hard to see this excited state. This is similar to becoming unaware of the driving process once you've been driving for a while. Sometimes you must work backwards by taking your symptoms as the cue that your mental state is excited. Eventually you will be able to make the link.

With symptoms, you must be a sort of detective and determine what it is your anticipating or wanting to get over with or to understand what it is you are conditioned to. You may see it in retrospect when the symptoms improve or you may see a pattern. Even when you find out, many times it does not logically make sense why you would be strained/conditioned about a particular situation. Also when you find out, you most likely will not be able to reverse it at that time, but with future practice you will, knowing what you know.

An example of the above could be that you always get symptoms right before dinner that goes away after you eat and you always see this pattern, so you know that somehow your mind has been conditioned to make this too important of an event

Along with the above example because it may be too important to eat dinner, you maybe in a way eating too fast and trying to get the task over with. It becomes just a strained habit with no clear logical reason.

Common stress related symptoms that should be recognized as such are various pains, excessive fear, obsession, runny nose without infection, chronic cough, insomnia, itchiness, gas, burping, heartburn, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, constipation, blurry vision, headaches, tingling, numbness, anxiety, insomnia, feeling abnormally cold especially in the extremities, feeling abnormally hot, and fatigue. Once again all symptoms must be fully evaluated by one's physician to make sure all serious conditions are ruled out and treated first.

The unconscious part of your mind remembers better than you do. Sometimes you will get a symptom about something that you have no conscious memory of at the time. (Ie a dinner meeting you weren't too crazy about but you forgot that you were attending but you still develop a headache earlier the same day).

One important, common situation for a strained state is not being comfortable with doing nothing.

A body area that has been affected for some time is usually very reactive. This comes along with the fear you have built up over time to this body part or symptom. Sometimes just touching the area or doing something very mild with the use of this body part will cause it to react out of fear with bracing. You want to make this area less reactive to your environment as much as possible. You must remember that if your overall strained mental state is relaxed, this process is much easier.

Closing your eyes allows you to see how strained your mind is sometimes. If your strained mentally, you'll feel like you’re too excited to keep your eyes closed. Also you will not see total black. A practice that can help is to continue to keep your eyes closed and even cover your eyes with your palms while trying to relax your nerves (This is called palming).

Fearing the symptoms and becoming obsessed with them definitely feeds the process. There is a tendency for each type of symptom to result in obsession. Unless you try to do nothing directly about the symptoms and prevent becoming obsessed, you will not likely get rid of them. Try to be as normal as possible with the affected body part, but if you need to, rest it, and continue to work on the mental strain.

Once you have strained (mentally first then physically), the symptoms do linger for a while, even if the initial stimulus is gone. Your goal is to try to prevent the strain first.

A shifting of symptoms from one area to another is a good sign that your not letting a particular symptom control you. Symptoms however will continue to shift until the underlying mental state relaxes and conditioning is broken.

You don't need to change the stress in your life, just the way you react to it and think about it. You also need to be aware of it. Only if the stress is extreme and it is changeable should you go about changing it.

It is better to be still and not stimulate your nervous system more when you have significant symptoms.

Affirmations (repeating phrases that are of what you want to happen) are very helpful, even more so when your first starting out. They somehow take your mind temporarily out of its conditioned train of thought into one that is associated with soothing. They are tools that help you accomplish your goal of mental and physical relaxation. They are not required and not sufficient by themselves. Examples are I'm calm, relaxed, patient and confident; I forgive and let go easy; It’s easy (once you realize what your rushing/worried about) ; I'm comfortable where I am right now.

Visualizations are along the same lines as affirmations. One way to use them that works well is to visualize yourself with crystal clarity in the situation that you are strained about in the setting of understanding why you’re strained. One example is picturing yourself doing a task your trying to just get over with. It gives the task reality in your mind as opposed to before when you were trying to wipe it out of existence. Picture as if you are actually there in your mind. You can even do this when you are actually in the situation.

It is difficult to strain/brace/rush and continuously breathe at the same time. When your nervous system is excited and your experiencing symptoms, especially stubborn ones, continously breathe through them. It feels uncomfortable to do this, but in the long run can help break a symptom pattern.

Try to catch yourself from going down a negative line of thinking and saying negative things as usually your mind will automatically strain with this.

Multiple conditioned strained situations occurring simultaneously are additive and more likely to cause more intense or multiple symptoms.

Relaxation techniques are also additive and more likely to produce results. (Ie palming, breathing, and using affirmations at the same time)

Try to slowly and gradually build yourself back up to normal physical activity without straining your nerves more. None of this should be a challenge or a forcing and it should not be a reaction to the symptom (like bending more to make the back used to bending).

If you are close to being cured, situations that you have not reconditioned yourself to yet will produce symptoms as if you have made no progress. (Ie you haven't been to the beach in a long time which caused you intense symptoms before and despite virtually having no symptoms prior to going this time, you get symptoms when you return.)

The process of healing is very gradual with a fading of symptoms over time. There is no fight or battle that is won.

You will wake up each morning and practice the above and you will hopefully see a little more and be able to strive to prevent habits that strain your nerves a bit better. Likely by the end of your day your still in the same situation with your illness. Over time, the removal of the strained behavior will calm your nervous system down enough that the symptoms fade away slowly.

As you can see there is nothing done or added to heal yourself. You are just removing the offending behavior.

You must be consistently trying to "discover" how to improve yourself on your own. What I have listed hopefully will keep you on the right track, but it is your practice and understanding that will ultimately make you better.

Watching a video of yourself may help you to see strained habits that you may have and help you to change them.

What most people fail with is not taking this on as a long term project that will take years and very slow gradual improvements with time. The improvement is usually very uneven and symptoms can be extremely stubborn. One will continue to improve as they continue to practice and get better at what is listed.

Edited by - Ace1 on 10/14/2015 12:48:59

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  11:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I printed this.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  17:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is pretty much how I got over tms/anxiety too. I could never write it out like Ace1 can here. Thanks Ace.

I just want to add one thing.
Disaster does strike. traumatic events could happen to any of us at any time. When faced with those extreme negative events it is normal for us to feel down, depress, or panic. We have to know that it is very very ok to feel that way. Don't fight it, don't get angry because of it, don't be scare because of how you feel, just accept it, just know that it will get better and life will be back to normal.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Cath

116 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  07:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ace - this is really good advice. I like the one about the mental strain manifesting itself into the physical, because this is really what it feels like.

In fact most of what you've written rings true in so many ways.

Cath
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  08:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just remember something. I live in the US for a long time. Although my English is not very good and correct but I'm very comfortable speaking English. I found that positive affirmation don't work very well for me if I use English. It worked much better when it is in my native language.

Also, I found that one of the biggest obstacle tmser's have to overcome is to truly accept that their symptoms is 100% mindbody and not physical. This I think is kind of easier for someone with an MD degree like Ace1 to accept. For other, the doubt is sometime so great, it take forever to truly accept the emotional cause. In the back of our mind there is always that question: what if there is something physically wrong with me?

I overcame this by doing what Art usually said, take the leap. Just accept it, just make up your mind and accept that it is emotional, not physical.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  08:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, it is harder for a doctor to accept the symptoms are emotional instead of phyisical. Dr. Sarno told me this and I agree. Now that I have fully accepted it, it is easy for me to see how consistant it is that emotions are the basic cause. I think somehow the repeated thought of that it is physical or the need to challenge it is in itsself a form of TMS. Think about this, when not in a conditioned situation and not in pain, you have no urge to challenge the part thats normally affected, also you dont care if its physical or emotional. You only really seem fixed on doing these things when the TMS is active
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  09:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace1, thanks for the list, it's very useful. Where did you get it from?
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  09:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace I think it must have been harder for you as well. This is what I wrote on your success story:

“Congratulations on your recovery. I am very pleased to see an MD write a recovery storey, you must have a very discerning and open mind to deal with the masses of conflicts and beliefs out there.”

Thanks for the list, I too printed it out, I love lists, muct be OCD,ABC,XYZ or something!!

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  10:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made the list totally by myself from what I learned. I just put it in this format to help others get it better.
Go to Top of Page

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  10:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this, I have printed it as well. Balto: I agree with what you were saying, I have just begun learning I have TMS, for about a month now and I so struggle with the thoughts that “what if there really is a microbe causing this” I have been trained by naturopaths to believe all my pain is caused by a leaky gut and food allergies and microbes getting out and settling in the weak parts of my body. I keep having “ahha” moments when I read more and more about TMS, but then I will remember what the doctor told me about how my bladder disease is caused by my tissue not regenerating in my bladder and that it never will. All these theories about what causes IC (bladder issues) have never been proven but they treat them as they have been. So, I find myself with thoughts that “what if I am wasting my time on TMS.” Interesting, whenever I go to read about TMS instantly I have to fight thoughts to distract myself, I will read a few sentences and then find myself wanting to rearrange my living room or go surf online. Even right after I have had a big ahha moment. It’s like my unconscious is trying to distract. So, I know it’s true, but I need to be 100% and stop going back and forth with the “but maybes”. Ace 1: I love that you brought up how it can even be a TMS symptom to challenge the TMS in your mind, this for me acts as another distraction.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  10:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

I made the list totally by myself from what I learned. I just put it in this format to help others get it better.

Thanks Ace1, good job!
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  07:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

Actually, it is harder for a doctor to accept the symptoms are emotional instead of phyisical. Dr. Sarno told me this and I agree.

I didn't know this. I always thought with an MD knowledge you would have it easier recognize what is physical and what is emotional than one who is not in medical field.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  07:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, your brother is a doctor and he doesn't believe it right?, Also, whats crazy about it all is that it seems that EVERY illness except infection/trauma/clearly genetic illnesses (born with it) is related. And even in the just mentioned illnesses, somehow, the tension reduction helps you to heal. A guy was born blind (Meir Schneider) and now posseses a california's unrestricted drivers licenec by using the bates method. I think the only way this type of treatment would not help is if you were dead or not able to comprehend how to treat yourself (a child, low IQ etc) or if you give up too soon. So, in reality, one cannot most of the time differentate between something physical and emotional. You just may have to treat something physical, bc the patient cannot treat it emotionally or they need time to treat it that way and the tension could lead to serious effect until they are able to heal.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  08:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother doesn't believe in tms at all.

I was talking about those doctors that do believe in tms. For them, wouldn't it be easier, with their knowledge, to distinguise what is physical and what could be emotional?

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  21:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have updated my list a few time as I think of more things. Please give me feedback on it to see if it has helped or not.
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  01:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, "lose" and "you're" spelled wrong in #3. How's that for some perfectionist, TMS BS? :)

This list is brilliant. I've bought the book you recommended and am printing this list as well. Greatly appreciate your words of wisdom.

Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  17:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right about lose, but not your. I'm glad you are going to get the book. The point of it is you will see that really what you say and what you think turns into reality. The thing is that it takes a lot of time and repetition for it to come true or to reverse something. This makes it somewhat hard to believe for some or it leads for some to give up. I know it'll work for you you just have to patient with it.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  07:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for posting this, Ace1...

While I am definitely using your ideas, I am still perplexed/ trying to wrap my head around your approach, as it seems VERY different to me, from what I used when I initially started down this TMS path and used what I thought I had learned from Dr Sarno's and Dr Brady's book(s).

At the same time, I do know you have worked personally with Dr Sarno, plus had a lot of your own experiences, both with your own self and your own patients, and I do know that it is hard for experts (ie Dr Sarno/ Dr Brady) to "translate" perfectly in a book, and of course none of that static information is "customized/individualized" ... so maybe I missed something along the way, too.

I know I have a great deal of chronic mental strain still, and then it would make sense I would still have symptoms (even if not the original pain issue I started with.) It seems daunting (as well as hopeful, a la your #14) to think I have to eliminate this chronic mental stain before I will actually be free... Lately, I have developed even more symptoms (I am assuming they are TMS but if they get worse or don't start shifting around I'll see my GP), so that has been discouraging (well, enraging, actually.) At the same time, I have also been having some success at doing better in some previously sensitizing situations.

thanks again for posting your "list" in one concise place! (I'd been copying and pasting /compiling advice from your various posts into a word processing file.) Maybe once you have finished "tweaking" your "Keys to healing" for the moment, it could be put as a (pdf) file in the Resources section?

RSR

Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  07:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RSR, why dont you tell us how you got over your pain before, so I can see where it is different. Im always up for learning more and understanding more. Remember how dr sarno said that when people became cured of their back, all of the other psychsomatic symptoms went with that too. Therefore if something is still there or if it shifts somewhere else this means the person is still not cured and remember that Dr. Sarno at that point referred the pat to psychotherapy.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  20:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ace1,

Thanks for asking and for your encouragement, as I really struggle this time with getting ALL the way, well, or cured...

Originally, I had "chronic sinus headaches" and was on daily meds for several years. They were often debilitating, really affected my quality of life and I just used the TMS "basics" once I discovered Dr Sarno's books. I read his books and also "Pain free for life" by Scott Brady. As I recall (this was many years ago now) the main thing I did was the Daily Study Program in The Divided Mind (pg 142), including "writing essays"/ Journalling. What helped me feel confident that I was on the right path, was that I could actually abort headaches in progress, (ones which ordinarily would have become debilitating) and after some months I had gotten off my daily meds and never looked back! Mission accomplished! Basically I would say I was able to do this primarily due to believing in TMS, and "thinking psychological."

In Healing Back Pain, Dr Sarno says, "One of the more difficult concepts to grasp is the fact that one does not have to eliminate tension from one's life. People ask, "How do I change my personality and how do I stop generating anxiety and anger?" If these were prerequisites for recovery my cure rate would be zero. It is not changing one's emotions; it is recognizing that they exist and that the brain is trying to keep one from being aware of their existence through the mechanism of the pain syndrome. That is the key point in understanding why the knowledge is the effective cure." (pg 91)

Unfortunately, while I did free myself from my pain problem, I never lost my other symptoms (chronic hyperarousal, seasonal allergies, burning tongue syndrome, on-and-off fatigue/low energy, poor sleep patterns, etc.) I didn't have too much success with those, but was never terribly motivated to resolve them, either, until recently. I did have pretty good success w/ my "interstitial cystitis" using a TMS approach, though.

This year has been a tremendously stressful one and I have recently developed new symptoms (eyesight seems to be deteriorating at a rapid rate, plus tingling hands and feet, "pressure" on my knee) all of which I THINK are stress-related. (I'm starting to feel fear about the tingling sensations though!)

I definitely feel a great deal of conscious mental strain, plus a lot of conscious rage and conscious emotional pain. I don't think my physical symptoms are much of a "distraction" really and feel that a better explanation for me is that I've been under so much stress for so long, (since adolescence) that my body just isn't able to function every well. So it seems that the "knowledge cure" is not quite enough for me for these other symptoms, and that I need to really address the mental/emotional strain issues in my life (?) I am hoping that by "bringing my tension level set point down over time" that I will be cured, someday ?? (I have also done Emotional Brain Training for about 4 years, which has helped my overall quality of life, but I want to feel even BETTER.)

Thanks also for reminding me about Dr Sarno referring patients for psychotherapy if a total cure was elusive. I have had a difficult past in that regard, but it makes sense that I have needed something "more".

thanks again for your posts and encouragement,
RSR
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  20:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes what I have wrote will work for you if you give it enough time. To be honest, i don't really fully understand how what happened to you works. I wonder if it is also a placebo? Or maybe in the people who are completely cured, their minds are suggestible that information by the unconscious and is more easily grasped that it does not require the repetition I suggest with the affirmations? I'll tell you that when I visited dr Sarno I told him I was 80% better at that time, but then later he introduced me to one of his patients as being cured by his methods. In my mind I was not cured at that time. I also met with his psychologist Arlene Feinblatt and I mentioned to her that dr Sarno said nothing in someone's life has to be changed. She told me that this was wrong and that I would have to change in order to cure myself. Don't get me wrong, the reason I am where I am today is only bc of dr Sarno. I know if it wasn't for him I would probably be in bad shape heading for destruction as most of us on this forum would be. He is really a hero and a genius. I do believe he was able to cure as many people as he talks about, but I'm not sure if other internal problems took the place of them that maybe he didn't recognize as being equivalent. Remember that in healing back pain, he had a set of affirmations in the book that he told patients to repeat daily (the only book that had them). Also if you read the success stories at the back of the book, the last story metions a lady who decondtioned herself to tension producing situations using an affirmation. He also said that this book was the most successful of all his books in curing people. I just think that maybe his approach needed some tweaking for severe or stubborn cases. Rsr how would you abort your headaches at will, was it by just thinking something that bothered you that you may have written down as suggested on the divided mind? You didn't try to relax yourself or make a link to what was bothering you at that time? Just trying to understand your way a little better.

Edited by - Ace1 on 10/17/2012 04:55:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000