TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Question for Ace1
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  05:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jennypeanut

You can take this for what it's worth, as I don't know much and don't claim to know anything special... yet.

My dog had a hip replacement. His breed is notorious for arthritis. He is a dog. He cannot have TMS. He could barely walk before the hip surgery, needed to be lifted up after lying down. That was something like 7 years ago. After healing from the surgery, he was great and has been since. Again, a dog. Not much of a comparison tool but if you look at the success and his inability to even have TMS - well, interesting, huh?

And if y'all are going to tell me that dogs can have TMS and should use mind power, well, I'll have to exit the forum. ;)

Just like you, I don't know much and don't claim to know anything special... yet. But I do think animal, atleast those with a brain, can get mental illness too (tms). I've read about baby elephant got so traumatized and suffered from depression after witnessed his/her family got shot and killed. About parrots pulling their own feathers, something similar to human's OCD, due to being in cages. About chimpanzees behaved like they have ptsd when being captured and put in cativity, they sometime eat their own feces, rocking and pacing continuously, non stop, behavior that their wild relative don't do.
trauma, cativity, separation from their environment, from their packs, lack of companionship in captivity... can cause lots of mental illness in animals. So I do think animal do get tms. I got 2 very active and healthy dogs, when one passed away, the other just got very depress. He didn't eat or play for weeks. He no longer active like he used too. I can see big changes in him.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

jennypeanut

103 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  05:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I suppose you are right about them getting anxiety/tms, but I guess I meant that the surgery worked for the dog, yet he could not be fooled by placebo bc dogs can't understand placebo. Now if y'all try to convince me dogs can be duped by placebo, THEN I'll have to exit the forum.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  06:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehehe, don't leave the forum Jenny.

Remember Pavlov's dogs. Their mouth salivate without seeing any food yet. They do have brain, they do react to stimulus, they have learned conditioning responds, they do have feeling... I hope we agreed on this.

here is my guess: we agreed that dog have feeling, and we all know that bad feelings produced negative changes in the body and good feeling produced the opposite, positive changes in the body. I'm guessing that after the surgery your dog got more care, more attention from you. He got more good food and treats, Got more toys to play with... so he just got better.

What I'm trying to say is, this is a tms forum, I'm very pro Mindbody medicine so if my life is not in immediate danger, I would try to deal with it the tms/anxiety way first. But when need to, I will seek conventional treatment. I just want to share what I have experienced. I did healed myself of numerous health problems using MB medicine. I truly believe in our mind's power to heal. But yet, Mala is right, there are time we need to consult conventional medical experts for help.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  07:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember that most tms is actually related to a strain (mostly mental, but somwhat physical too) not anything else, eventually this strain becomes a habit and not recognizable anymore (unconscience). Can animals strain? of course they can. I think some how the strain that leads to the oxygen deprivation overtime may be able to cause structural changes. These in turn are used by the mind to perpetuate the pain disability, then death. I think the benefit from these surgeries is somewhat better than the 20% or so improvement from placebo alone. However, it seems that when you start to treat the strain somehow these areas start to heal, or somehow the structural change doesn't hurt anymore. Dr. Bates used a retinoscope and noticed many captive and domesticated animals with myopia, but did not observe this in animals in the wild. I think us humans are unique in the way that we can reverse the habitual strain and recognize it again where as animals cannot.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  09:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi fellow TMS'ers,

Just an update on my tennis "tournament" I mentioned in an earlier post. Yesterday I played in the Pro/Am of an exhibition charity tournament I serendipitously signed up for. I'm happy to say I didn't embarrass myself too badly. I partnered with Bob Bryan versus his brother Mike Bryan and the owner of the club I play at. Earlier in the day I partnered with Gigi Fernandez against Conchita Martinez, Rennae Stubbs (my heart-throb), versus Lindsay Davenport and my last match with Murphy Jensen vs Mark Knowles.

I don't keep track of results for these type of "hit & giggle" events but I won some and lost some. I hit a few great shots against the pros and my serve was my weapon. My volleys did let me down, but it's the shot that I'm still working on, so maybe next year.

I had fun and afterwards people came up to me and congratulated me on how well I played and what a great serve I had. Then one club member who has had two hips replaced, corralled me for her usual harangue admonishing me how I MUST get my hip replaced and how she had a GREAT surgeon (who's name she could't recall, but I remembered for her). We don't play anymore since she only plays three days a week with her gals (while I play everyday at least 2-3 hours and double dose on the weekends).

Afterwards I took a shower, grabbed my cane, chit-chatted with my buds and the tournament volunteers and watched the Bryans and the other pros play the main event in a World Team Tennis format.

Moral of the story, I did this while hobbling around, moving a wee bit faster then my normal rec play, (a stadium of people watching helps to motivate for an extra half step). I'm in no hurry for a hip-replacement (I really can't hurry anywhere accept in my fast car) but THR is always an option. That decision would have to be made for me by an ER team while I was unconscious in septic shock. It's only tennis. I am going to give SteveO a call and see what he has in mind for me.

Cheers

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/23/2012 18:49:54
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  18:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TT i give you all the props in the world for the way you have stayed the course against tms and living your life and not letting the tms live it for you-your post are awesome-i wish you the best on what ever the decision-i just am in awe at your ability to keep up the good fight....
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  19:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi E.W.,

Your kind words are GREATLY appreciated! I enjoy reading your positive posts also, keep up the good work! The best way of beating the TMS gremlin is by creating self-esteem and confidence by succeeding in doing what you want to do. This creates a positive distraction, thus overcoming TMS fear of using your body for doing.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000