TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Multiple Chemical Sensitivity?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sarah Jacoba

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  22:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have MCS, but someone I know does, and I was telling her about this site. I doubt that she's looked us up here yet, as she's on medication and obviously treats her problem as a real physical issue of dire threat to her. However, I was just wondering if some of you have a sense that it is a TMS equivalent. If you post some interesting stuff I could pass it on to her.

I find the more I deal w/ TMS / psychogenic problems the more I feel like a common thread in many of them is an oversensitivity, the kind of thing 1800s folks called "bad nerves". It seems a more global definition than just oxygen deprivation type symptoms.

Just as I've been oversensitized in the past to loud noise, and continue to be VERY sensitive to fabrics and types of clothing (even though my other fibromyalgic symptoms have taken a big retreat), so it seems the body could get oversensitivzed to chemicals/scents etc without those really being of physical threat.

Actually if anyone has struggled w/ the sensitivity to clothing thing, let me know. It's a big pain for me!

--Sarah
"When dream and day unite"

Kajsa

Denmark
144 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  04:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am also sensitive to clothing (and once diagnosed with fibromyalgia).
I have problems wearing anything that is made of ex. wool. It makes my nerves in my arms start burning.

You are absolutley correct about oversensitive nervous system.
I have read som good facts about that in Nancy Selfridges book "Freedom
from fibromyalgia".
There are something in UK that´s called "reverse therapy" that succesfully treats fibromyalgia and CFS. (You can just go to Google and search for it). It is very much the same theories as Sarno talks about. But I think that they explain the process in more
"medical terms" They talk about a oversensitive hyphothalamus -and for me their explenation make big sense.
I am also oversensitive to a lot of chemical things (like your friend)
But I do not thing that the chemicals are the rooth to the problem.
I think that it is the oversensitive hyphotalamus. When you can control that -you can also deal with the chemicals. But if you take the diagnos "chemical sensitivity" to your heart - i think that you are in "dead end street".
In reverse therapy you work with "overcoming" you reactions. A very concrete decondition process. And they also very firm claims that
"knowledge is the cure". For me "taking action" is crucial. I have to SHOW my body (quite agressive) that I AM OK. Then after a while my body
follows my mind...
Sarah Jacoba - it would be interesting for me to know wich symptoms you have been able to overcome.

All the best and excause my english (have no dictionary right now..)

Kajsa
Go to Top of Page

n/a

32 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  12:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah,
I have MCS which is most likely due to exposure to benzene, arsenic and other contaminants from a factory I used to live near. (The factory has been cited and fined for it many times.) (I also had a very rare form of cancer that was due to arsenic). Life is very difficult with MCS but I've stopped working and am slowly recovering. I moved away from the factory and am now breathing clean air and avoiding perfumes and the like that stress the immune system. One thing a neuropsychologist told me was that just because I smell something in the air (like walking into a store near the perfume counter) doesn't mean I'm actually allergic to it. I need to stop and think "Is this fragrance a smell that I don't like or is it really bad for me?" That has really helped me. I think in a way this part is TMS because if I let my mind dwell on the smells and think they are toxic then I start getting anxious and the whole "hypothalamus excitatory stuff" starts to be triggered. It is similar to the theory that Ashok Gupta developed regarding the brain getting conditioned to have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

For more info on this go to the website: http://www.angelfire.com/yt2/fatigue/Paper.htm

I also am sensitive to the perfume in the fabric softeners and laundry detergents. The worst part is they rub off on chairs and furnishings so when someone comes over my house wearing clothes with this on them my house reeks of it when they leave. Also if I'm out walking and someone is washing clothes and drying them using scented detergents or fabric softener sheets I smell it and feel sick. (The dryer vents blow the air to the outside neighborhood and it puts a strong odor in the air.) If you look on the internet you can find info on the chemicals in this stuff and how toxic it is. I just know that I really feel sick to my stomach when I smell it. So is this TMS or an actual toxic reaction? I don't know. I spoke to a hypnotherapist asking if he could help me change my reaction to the perfume problem. He refused saying that my body needs this warning system to protect me from actual toxins. I'm trying to sort out what I can treat as TMS from things I really need to avoid for my health (i.e. carpet glues, formaldehyde etc.)
I've researched this Multiple Chemical sensitivity/possible TMS on the internet and couldn't really find anything. I posed this question on the old TMS help board but the replies centered around hay fever and pollen type allergies--which I don't have.

So if any of you out there have any ideas on this regarding treating it as TMS, I'd like to hear it.
Thanks,
LJJ
Go to Top of Page

Logan

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  08:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that MCS is TMS. While it's true that the human body can be poisoned by certain substances, I think that MCS is the result of a mass hysteria over "toxins."

While it's true that we are exposed to many chemicals throughout our day, we are actually better off than our ancestors who breathed coal smoke, wore mercury cured hats, lived in lead-painted homes, used asbestos insulation, drank Coca Cola with cocaine etc.

I liken the modern concern about toxicity to Sarno's comment in MBP about repetitive stress injuries. He said that if anyone SHOULD have had carpal tunnel syndrome it would be those secretaries who had to type on those massive, completely manual typewriters of old - not the office workers of today.

Go to Top of Page

kenny V

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  10:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LLJ, TMS listmates, please at least consider what I am saying here.

You are touching on 3 subjects that are very close to my heart;
Helping people rid TMS symptoms, awareness of chemical toxicity, viral exposure and the effects they have on the immune system. My back is getting tense and the burning TMS pain is starting to come on as I contemplate on this subject.
I also have friends who are in prison that are blamed for an accidental death, when their adopted child from Russia (who was exposed to some bad stuff) body shut down due to this overload. And the worse part is this was aided by the testimony of a family doctor that also happened to be friends of theirs. Sad but true.

The mainstream medical community continues to shunt the scientific evidence on such issues and continues treat such symptoms as a new auto-immune disorders that they in effect have caused some themselves.

I am a fellow TMS er, but also a father of a child whose immune system has been damaged due to the influence of the almighty dollar. This was introduced with the sale of the MASS VACINATION CAMPAINE, promoted by no one other than the major drug companies and medical communities who continue to reap the benefits of such a campaign.

Someone once said that MONEY is the root of all evil. But really, it is a quote that comes from the Good book and it accurately says, “The LOVE of MONEY is the ROOT of ALL EVIL”. And unfortunately we as a society have prescribed to this and our health and well being is sacrificed in exchange.

It is not my desire to convince you that a TMS equivalent can be due to a possible toxic chemical exposure and/ or heavy metal overload, but to recognize that not all of the symptoms that we suffer from are directly related to TMS. And to be open to consider that there is a host of scientific evidence that supports these statements.

Please look into the side effects associated with known neoro-toxin chemicals and heavy metal exposure.

I am not going to bombard you with links and references that support my belief,
Done that in the past on the topic Dental-Quacks- silver amalgam /mercury poisoning.

I would just like to ask if you have ever considered looking into symptoms associated with toxic chemical exposure and heavy metal burdens? There is so much info out there if you look for it.
And it is not my intention to push you to believe this, nor am I selling any service or promoting a product.
It is just my desire to share with you what I have been exposed to.

What a contradiction- the EPA and the FDA are the ones that we are supposed to trust being our big brothers, They warned the major drug companies back in the late 80’s that the amount of mercury added to the vaccinations was considered well over same limit, yet did not enforce these warnings. Then while this was going on the CDC was making recommendations that the vaccine schedule from birth to six moths old get increased from 8 inoculations to 20, in which many contain multiple strains.

I just don’t get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the same time we pass bills to remove lead out of products that contaminate our water supply and leak into our environment, the government issues warnings on fish consumption to children and pregnant mothers. We create laws that mandate,
( BTW not MANDATORY, THIS IS STLL YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO EXEMT),
That children GET INJECTED with over 25 mcg. Of MECURY EACH JAB.

Please,
I challenge anyone to find from a reliable source and show me ANYWHERE THAT STATES THAT ANY AMOUNT OF MECURY IS NOT CONSIDERED TOXIC AT ANY LEVAL TO THE DEVOLOPEMENT AND FUCTION OF THE HUMAN BODY

I am sure many of you know that the media is catching on to what is going on and lately has been airing specials and exposing many of the lies and cover-ups. This has been linked to the research the drug companies have been hiding for many years.
And the whole vaccination cover-up in what it is doing to our children, is going to be HUGE once the truth leaks out into the public.

Just like learning about TMS, you have to discover this for yourself before you believe and apply it to your condition. Leaning of what causes and how to go about chelating and detoxify the body can be very difficult, and a scary experience and you will have to really investigate this thoroughly. Because these toxins are stored in the major organs.

One misconception held by the mainstream medical community is that just by doing a standard blood test it will reveal toxic exposure. This is not true, a standard blood test ONLY shows recent exposure to toxins, your blood absorbs these toxins and with in minutes moves to the cellular level.

But I must say that all of these symptoms are related to, and do involve the reaction of the auto- immune system. It is it physical or and emotional response?

It is your body; you need to make the informed decision.

Always Hope For Recovery
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  13:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also a TMSer with a fear of perfumes and the fragrance connected with fabric softener that gets into the neighborhood air. I know intellectually that these fragrances are not a physical problem for me, but they still do give me a sense of panic, nausea, and the feeling that I am not going to be able to breathe. Didn't have this fear until about the time that I started getting the leg pain. It's all part of the TMS symdrome in my case, I am sure. I know I need to expose myself to these fragrances more frequently and find out that - hey - it's not going to kill me - to break the fear, but dang if it's not hard to do this!
Go to Top of Page

n/a

32 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  11:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this post. Also to tell Kenny that I did indeed go through the mercury testing and had my amalgam fillings removed in a proper fashion. (The mercury test showed my mercury level to be 5 times normal but after the fillings were removed and I stopped eating tuna 5 times a week the test went back down to normal.)
So is MCS a form of TMS? I don't know. I would guess the immune system can be damaged by toxins and heavy metals but then also sensitised by emotions to act out even more so when it comes in contact with chemicals in the air.
I just know that I hate the smell of fabric softeners and perfumes and I will need to speak up rather than silently resenting others when it takes me hours to try to get the smell out of the chairs and carpeting after visitors have sat and laid around my house. My resentment and anger makes the lingering smell so much worse. I know I need to be honest with people even if they think I'm weird. (That part relates to my desire to please TMS personality)
Go to Top of Page

n/a

32 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  12:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenny,
What kind of mercury detox protocol did your son go through? Did it help? I would email you privately on this as it doesn't relate to TMS but you don't have an email available on the message board.
Thanks,
--LJJ
Go to Top of Page

kenny V

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  13:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LJJ,
let me know if you didn't receive the private e mail.
thanks

Kenny V

Always Hope For Recovery
Go to Top of Page

kenny V

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  14:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
So is MCS a form of TMS? I don't know. I would guess the immune system can be damaged by toxins and heavy metals but then also sensitised by emotions to act out even more so when it comes in contact with chemicals in the air.

I don’t recall if doctor Sarno Lists MCS being an equivalent, but he does say other autoimmune disorders.

One thing I can say is hypersensitivities to the body, over active immune dysfunctions and allergic reactions are all auto immune connected, therefore this can qualify as a correlation between them.

Hypersensitivities are very common in an autoimmune disorder, take a look at a summary of Characteristics between autism and mercury poisoning.

http://www.whale.to/a/table_a.htm

Always Hope For Recovery
Go to Top of Page

jmulcahy

10 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  09:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! I had complete success curing my severe MCS with Dr. Sarno's approach. It was difficult for me to make the connection, too, even after having rid myself of IC and pelvic pain. But, it's definitely a manifestation of TMS. The symptoms ARE real, but they are harmless and are caused by the brain, just like back pain.

Your post is an older one so I'll keep this short, but PLEASE contact me if you need to. I'd love to help.
Go to Top of Page

Irirangi

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  00:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I got better from RSI by using TMS and am now trying to deal with an allergy to the paint on my house through TMS. I have had my allergy symptoms recede once early on but haven't had any success lately. Would love to hear from anyone who has had success dealing with chemical allergies.
Go to Top of Page

Irirangi

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  00:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I got better from RSI by using TMS and am now trying to deal with an allergy to the paint on my house through TMS. I have had my allergy symptoms recede once early on but haven't had any success lately. Would love to hear from anyone who has had success dealing with chemical allergies.
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  20:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irirangi, when you say you have allergy symptoms from paint, what kind of symptoms are you referring to?

I have had almost none of the multiple chemical sensitivity problems that I used to experience since I learned about TMS and read The Divided Mind. (There are a few colognes that still trigger migraines for me.) I have a friend who had much worse reactions than I did, to every imaginable chemical, to the point where she couldn't live in her house anymore and couldn't find another location where she was not overwhelmed by her sensitivity to the chemicals. When I told her about Dr. Sarno and lent her the book "Freedom From Fibromyalgia," (because she also had lots of fibro type symptoms in addition to her MCS symptoms) she immediately began to see improvement in the chemical sensitivity.

I haven't been in touch with her for a few months to see how she's doing lately, but when I last spoke with her she'd gone from not being able to stay in her house to being able to live there again without the reactions. So it could be possible that what seems like an allergy to paint might be TMS instead.

Hope things get better for you soon.

Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  00:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Some of you who are discussing hypersensitivity might find this doctor's theory interesting.

IMO it fits with Dr Sarno's ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CuGPRF3zXg
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  11:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, can we have a moratorium on anti-vaccination paranoia on this site? How much more data do people want before ditching the nonexisting link between vaccines and autism, etc.? No study has shown an epidemiological connection between the two. California eliminated thiomersal from its vaccines and the autism rate did not go down!

Kids die from easily preventible infectious diseases because nutjobs insist on not vaccinating their kids for specious reasons. If that only affected their children, that would be bad enough; unfortunately, ANY unvaccinated children increase the risk of ALL children developing these diseases, even if they have been vaccinated. Believe me, the drug companies do not make much money from vaccines compared with other drugs, which is why they do so little research on other types of vaccines (malaria, etc.), so I would not pin this stuff on them either...
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  14:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr Ziggles,

It's not that everyone is against vaccines, it's the TOXINS in the vaccines like thimerosal and the aluminum. I think people want them cleaned up.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  15:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree that this has gone way off-topic.

I would not doubt that MCS = TMS in many people, and attributing symptoms to chemical poisining is akin to attributing pain to structural problems.

As for aluminimum, much of the population spreads it on their armpits every single day.

Go to Top of Page

EileenTM

92 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  16:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad someone revived this topic because I have been thinking about it. Using Sarno's techniques I have rid myself of all my symptoms. Except for one. I tend to react to foods with msg. I am in my 50s and I now realize this has been going on for years. I just never gave it much thought. Whenever I went out for lunch I felt bad during the afternoon. Foggy brain, unable to concentrate, buzzy, etc. I just thought I was tired or ate too much. I never made the connection until a couple of years ago. I just have stopped eating processed foods. Not a conscious decision, but it just sort of happened. And all those symptoms went away. Now however if I eat out and run into something with msg, all those symptoms come back, Sometimes it is really bad, with racing heart and buzzing brain so bad I cannot sleep. Takes about a day to work out of my system and then I am fine. I do have an enzyme deficiency where I am a poor metabolizer so small doses of things affect me more and stay in my system longer. I don't panic when it happens, just wait it out. But it is very uncomfortable. Any thoughts that this could be TMS? Or does anyone else have problems with msg?
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  06:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"As for aluminimum, much of the population spreads it on their armpits every single day."

Yep, that's why I use natural products, and stopped the doedrant I used to wear. Plus, our water is contaminated with our the pharmacueticals that people take.
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  12:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people are oversensitive to MSG (which is chemically similar to the neurotransmitter glutamate), and it is a well-known trigger for migraines, the so-called "Chinese food headache"...

I think this is unrelated to "multiple chemical sensitivity", which is probably TMS, as others have mentioned.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000