TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 Just one suggestion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MichaelB

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  09:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My name is Michael and I have TMS and I intend to beat it. I've had so many physical symptoms is don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count them. Those of you who have been successful in beating TMS, would you be so kind to give me just one sample of what worked for you. I will take these, try them and let you know what happens. I just very much appreciate this forum. Thank you all for participating so we can learn not only that we are not alone but also there are ways to best TMS.

anniess

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  16:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I do: I write out everything negative about my life--no positives at all. Cry and yell about it a little. Cut down and then cut out all pain meds. When the body part hurts, yell at the pain or at least address it sternly, "STOP NOW! This hurts now, but it is getting better every day and by this time next week, all the pain will be gone." Assume as much normal range of motion you can stand, even if it hurts; push yourself. Massage, heat or exercise the part to get more oxygen to it. Refuse to pay attention to it and refuse to fear (fear magnifies it and so does attention). Repeat all steps daily or as necessary until pain starts to get better; then you will be a believer!

ann shaffer
Go to Top of Page

njoy

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  02:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a lot of success with various methods on this forum but the one that helped most (and is still helping) is learning about IFS (Internal Family Systems). The basic idea is that we all are born with "parts" (tendencies and characteristics which, along with our childhood experiences and the choices we make) will determine who we are as we grow into adulthood. If these parts of us are wounded and hide from away from life, other parts may decide to protect them. Sometimes this works fairly well but many times it doesn't.

Using myself as an example (but it happens to everyone), instead of my real Self being in control of my life, a protector can take over. The protector may do a good job but other times the part now in control is dysfunctional. Have you ever wondered "why on earth did I do that?" when you've just reacted in a way that you know doesn't really work (yell at the boss would be an example; or act in a people pleasing way with someone you probably should stand up to). Sometimes the part behave in a way that is out of line with your conscious goals and values. You feel "I've done it again! I'm ruining my life. What's the matter with me?".

IFS is simple once you understand it but does take time and effort to learn. Once you understand IFS techniques you can act help yourself by sorting out your own internal problems. Of course there are IFS therapists available but many people can learn through books, videos, etc. to help themselves using IFS. The advantages of self help are enormous and a huge saving of time and money. The end result is a far more peaceful and integrated psyche without years and years of expensive therapy.

Of course, some TMS-ers don't need therapy but I do and IFS has been a lifesaver for me. For many people, Dr. Sarno's books and the forums are all they need but my TMS tends to keep sneaking back in a new form. If you turn out to be the same, IFS is an effective way to get to a deeper level and resolve the problem.

Good luck, Michael. You are in the right place.

----------
Currently on about IFS (Internal Family Systems). More info here: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/forums/parts-therapy-and-ifs-internal-family-systems.34/
----------
Proud member of tmshelp.com since 2005.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000