TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 How to stop negative emotions in their tracks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neo Veloci

Netherlands
15 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  05:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My biggest sticking point in battling my TMS has been how to deal with negative emotions within myself.

I just found this post and it inspired me in a huge way, so I thought I'd share it, since it's written 3 years ago. I think I'm going to get that Eckhart Tolle book now.

quote:
Originally posted by skizzik

quote:
Originally posted by scottjmurray

There are some other directions these things can go. They can go "up" and integrate into your reality, which paints the world in a strange hue that seems to be devoid of hope. They can go "down" which is an effort to push them away. They can also go inward, causing you to feel like a total loser.

The way they need to go is "oh! I see now!" Then they evaporate.

I think thats where I am, or am heading too after years of typical Sarno treatment (journaling etc) that if you can look at your stresses and see how much of it is self imposed you may be able to relieve that pressure valve.

How to do this? According to Tolle, simply notice the ego. Is that your compulsion, or your ego's?

By saying oh, thats just my ego, nutralizes (sp?) the thoughts.

e.g. Why does my parent/spouse/boss drive me crazy? Why don't they appreciate how good they have it with me? I work so hard to please them.

Ahhhh, thats just my ego, the unsatiable force that will make me try to please them to the point that any negative will stress me out.

Now, if I can recognize my ego striving to please them, and say "thats just my ego", ahhhh, I can relax more, and know that I don't have to be perfect, I can go with the flow more, and know that if I'm not trying to please them perfectly they will still be there for me, and afterall human nature means they are going to complain no matter who they're with.

The other thing to do to is try to figure out why your ego pushes you to do the things you do so that it makes sense.

Looking back, for me it was neglect from daddy, a bipolar mother and being put into school with an October birth date (which made me have more in common with the kids the year before me) that built my ego drives. I became a fat kid in sixth to seventh grade. I went thru a growth spurt in high school where I also had to bike everywhere and lost 40 pounds and got 6 inches taller in a short time. I relished in the compliments I was getting to the point where it triggered my ego. It eventually got to the point where what my friends family and co-workers thought of me was more important than the quality time I had with them.

My ego is contstantly striving to be special or amazing at something in order to garner respect or love or something. But, reading thru tolle you'll see that the "painbody" will develop because there is no end to the ego. There is no satisfaction, ever.

Find the entire thread here: http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5992

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  06:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Negative thoughts lead to negative emotions......I find the easiest way to stop negative emotions is to is to IGNORE or not "buy into" the negative thoughts....which doesn't really stop them, but allows them to pass

Trying to analyse the thoughts is like analyzing why an idiot does idiotic things......probably because he's an idiot? This info doesn't help in anyway......so don't bother.

Let the negative thoughts pass and don't buy into them.

Change your perspective of the situation so you create less negative thoughts....or even positive ones.

How a situation occurs to oneself is soooooo important....yet most overlooked!

D
Go to Top of Page

Neo Veloci

Netherlands
15 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  07:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are very right.

quote:
Originally posted by Darko

Negative thoughts lead to negative emotions......I find the easiest way to stop negative emotions is to is to IGNORE or not "buy into" the negative thoughts....which doesn't really stop them, but allows them to pass.

Change your perspective of the situation so you create less negative thoughts....or even positive ones.

Since discovering Sarno I had a problem with changing my perspective because it felt like I was conciously tyring to 'parent' my 'inner child', if you know what I mean. Trying to change negativity into positivity felt fake and it made me feel insecure.

But now I realise those negative emotions come from negative thoughts, created by my ego. Hence my new signature!

"My past created my ego, my ego creates problems, my problems create pain. All I have to do is notice when my ego is active. And don't beat myself up, or others."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000