TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Interesting Conversation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TMSPain

21 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  10:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went to lunch with my friend who also was diagnosed with a herniated disk 10 years ago after a bad car accident. We were talking about how we used to go to the gym and lift weights. He said that he could do everything but squats due to the fact that his doctor told him that his disk would come out and he would be paralyzed. He also went on to say that when he did leg presses he could only bend his legs to a certain point until he could feel the disk pressing on the nerve. I started arguing with everyone and said that I bet that is not why he was in pain. If a doctor told me I would be paralyzed, I think I would be pretty traumatized for the rest of my life. Everyone laughed at me and said that back pain is caused mostly from stress, but a herniated disk is different because it's fluid can drip on nearby nerves and cause tremendous sensations. He then went on to tell me that he has to wiggle his ankle every morning because otherwise it feels like he has sprained it due to sensations from his herniation. I was going to mention conditioning, but figured it was a waste of breath. It was not the best conversation for me to hear after just starting to really accept my pain for what it was. I just wish I could get past the fear that physical activity will aggravate my pain once again.

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  12:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get used to it TMSPain. TMS'ers are a rare breed. The rest of the planet needs their crutches to keep life at bay. It's safer to stay at home than travel the road un-known. Chritopher Columbus was probably scared sh-tless at times. but his name is in all the history books, no one writes about Joe Shmoe.

Sarno has acknowledeged that few will accept his TMS theory. His devotees are above average intellegence, (that's flattering). Expect slings and arrows if you proslytize TMS to others. I used to but rarely anymore. Most people need their pain. If they wanted to get better they could find the answers just like you and I have. Go to a book store - go to the Health section - go to the Back section - peruse the 20 or so tomes there - "Mindbody Prescription" - "Healing Back Pain" - "Mind Over Back Pain". It's not rocket science, just basic research. Any one with a high school education (CA grads excepted) should be able to find it. If one has a computer, and searches back pain, the TMS board would pop up quickly. If one wants to truly heal, Sarno will resonate, if one doesn't, then voo-doo will be more effective.

"I just wish I could get past the fear that physical activity will aggravate my pain once again."

The answer to your question is JUST DO IT!

Edited by - tennis tom on 01/04/2005 16:00:40
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  14:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ditto ditto to Tennis Tom

Early on,a lot of my relapses of fear/tension were due to a discussion like the one you had with your friend.I would rush home and re-read the book(HBP...still my Fav)...invariably whatever fear or reservation that the discussion shook-up,was addressed to my doubting satisfaction.
As time went on,I engaged many a fellow sufferer in debate.I found this to be fruitless....I only angered them and in retrospect should have respected their "posession" of their pain...it's something they NEED to hold on to,or their life would be shaken to it's very roots.
The only people I have ever been able to help are people in extreme pain who have tried almost every other method.
Remember Sarno and his lesson on Physicophobia? Your friend no longer needs his pain,because the fear effectively governs his activities 24/7.
However,some day(and it will come) when he has an acute attack,you might be able to help him.
I don't know if you're white ,black,hispanic or asian or any other ethnicity or combination thereof,but regardless......congratulations!!
You just joined the smallest minority I know of on the Planet!!

the Baseball player formerly known as "crippled"

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

Texasrunner

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  07:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TennisTom- You made an interesting comment in your post: "Most people need their pain." Not only do I agree with this, but I think it is an important concept of TMS. The fact is, for most people even those who are aware of TMS, the absence of their pain would leave a void or vacuum that would need to be filled by something else. In a sense, they need their pain because it is a known quantity- something they are familiar with. That may be one reason many have a hard time letting it go.

PS- Personal report: Getting ready for an upcoming marathon, I ran one of my biggest training weeks last week- 60 miles. No pain- feeling great! (This is after 8 years of butt/hamstring pain that at times had me almost limping) so don't give up EVER! PSS- Aside from genreal physicals, I never once went to a doctor for it, because I figured they just wouldn't have a clue about how to approach the problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000