TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS is a "gift?" What I'm learning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crk

124 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  11:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have spent a lot of time in the past 24 hours thinking about post #11 in this thread: http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5690 The thinking is a bit different in approach to what has worked for me in the past, but not inconsistent with it.

Here is what I have been thinking. Acceptance of the TMS pain to make it leave can be seen as similar to seeing it as a "gift." That's a concept that has been very hard for me to grasp. Like, "Yeah, thanks a lot for this punch in the nose."

But the post mentioned above has shed some new light on this. What if it's like Lassie, coming to give you a message? She runs up to you. Bark, bark, bark. "What is it, girl? The barn? The barn is on fire? And Bessie is stuck inside? Let's go!"

The barn on fire is your life and your unhealthy mental state. The journaling shows you the barn is on fire, but Lassie won't stop barking until you DO SOMETHING about it.

I'm not talking about making your life perfect. I agree with Sarno that this is not necessary for relief. I am talking about taking the next step after you discover the nature of your Reservoir of Rage.

The wallowing in your journal that is described in the post I mentioned shines a light on the source of the problem, then your subconscious mind does a little leap frog OVER the Present and into the future: "I'm not going to be able to cope. My childhood was too crappy to get over. People are going to judge me. I am going to [fill in whatever doom you feel]."

All the many posts on this forum that talk about living in the Present really come down to this. Use the message that TMS gives you to take a good look at your "burning barn:" self hatred, fear, negative expectations, living for others, etc.

What if TMS is not the bothersome interference in your life but your step stone to a better life? What if you could see, every time you hurt, those perceptions that are false and holding you back from a healthy mental state? What if you decided to accept each pain with this thought, "Thank you, Lassie. Now tell me where the fire is! What unhealthy thinking just now brought on this barking?" The reservoir of rage must be understood, but it's "the NOW" that is making it overflow.

In a way, when I look at TMS this way I almost don't want it to go away! How awesome would it be to have someone constantly reminding me every time I start living for others, berating myself, letting the world crush me with fear? How happy I'd be to be able to change my perceptions of myself and my future by having a teacher with me all the time. For example, "Thank you, TMS. I got that twinge just now because my father was distant, judgmental and cruel - but mostly I got it because my subconscious mind just now projected those experiences onto my view of my husband. Thank you for showing me that I need to look more objectively and see that he is just tired. Thank you for helping me remind myself that I am loved, by him and by myself."

Please let me know if this makes sense or is helpful. I am still working it all out in my own mind. And, Sarita, if you are reading this, thanks for posting that text.

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  12:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that, crk - especially the Lassie reference!

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

crk

124 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  20:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Hilary. I am very excited about this new revelation. I think about how it is different from past methods, and the more I think about it the more it seems similar to those methods. Like letting go, living in the moment, etc. It just takes things one step forward.
Go to Top of Page

pandamonium

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2009 :  15:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very elegantly put crk, and I also love the Lassie analogy.
I wrote a similar thing on the wiki, I am thankful for my TMS. I have learnt so much about me; I was living unconciously, terrified of the future and so fed up with my otherwise seemingly perfect life.
Now life is amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A beginner's guide to psychology: If it's not your mum's fault.... it's your dad's...
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  13:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that was great--I can't wait to use that analogy with patients!
Go to Top of Page

pandamonium

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  14:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told my DH about the Lassie analogy and he said "how apt, in Lassie it was always a child who knew what Lassie was going on about, I suppose your inner child is the one who needs to understand the message"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A beginner's guide to psychology: If it's not your mum's fault.... it's your dad's...
Go to Top of Page

Capn Spanky

112 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  12:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post, crk! In one of his books (not sure which one) Sarno mentions a patient who thinks of TMS as a gift and briefly explains why. Your post actually hits home with me more than Sarno's story.

You're stuff is NOT all about "why is my donkey in the ditch?", but rather, "let's get the donkey out of the ditch". Good-ol-fashion (Sarno-ized) horse sense.
Go to Top of Page

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  20:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This post reminds me of the Course in Miracles teaching where it says something along the lines of "Teach me to perceive this (issue, pain, problem)properly." In other words Stop letting my mind do all the figuring...asking for a higher power , a deeper sense of self who KNOWS better, to take over and open my eyes to this (issue, pain, problem) so I can realllly see what it is trying to show or tell me.
In other words, don't take it away or make it disappear...show me how to see it "right".
Excellent point crk. You're posts are very insightful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000