TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Blushing and TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Albert

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  11:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this amounts to anything, but blushing seems to have a little in common with TMS. Because of what a person is feeling emotionally, some of a person's facial blood vessels will vasodialate and do so in what seems like no time at all.

This is opposite of what happens with TMS (vasoconstriction), but nevertheless an example of the mind body connection. In each case it is a matter of the smooth muscle tissue that surrounds and regulates blood vessel blood flow, getting effected by emotions.

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  13:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had never thought of this Albert. Good point.

My brother had such a problem with blushing when he was a teenager that he was miserable and it became a viscious circle for a while.

I remember in psychology class we were taught the power of the mind to affect the body. We were asked to imagine biting into a very sour lemon. We had to visualise the feel of holding the lemon, the smell of it and then imagine biting it. All of us noticed we had started salivating.

There are so many of these sort of processes in our bodies that help us survive. TMS pain is the result of our mind thinking it's harmful for us to feel the full force of our emotions. When I first read about TMS I thought there was no way I would prefer physical pain over feeling emotions. Then I had a nightmare a while ago that woke me up and was so real and so profoundly disturbing that it convinced me otherwise. In the nightmare just before I was jolted awake I was climbing out of a cave away from the awful thing that had happened. To me this shows that the stuff in my unconscious (in the underground cave) is far more frightening than I realised.

When I woke I actually said to myself that I would far rather have pain than feel that horror again. In the light of the next day I couldn't believe I had said that.

When you think about the feelings people have to face when they lose a loved one you realise just how horrific emotions can be to deal with.

There endeth my rambling for today....

Kat
Go to Top of Page

Albert

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  14:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt the same way when I felt terrible anxiety the other night. Perhaps pain is preferrable.

A couple of nights later I felt some anxiety and decided to try an old meditation technique that is usefull. I allowed myself to experience anxiety with a curious mind. What are its bounds? Where does it begin. If I try to get a close look at it, what does it look like? I wasn't looking for tangible, intellectual answers. I just stopped being afraid of it and tried to see if for what it is, and it went away and got replaced with a strong peacefull, blissfull feeling. Sometimes emotions aren't as bad as we think. In a way, the blissfull/peacefull feeling was a distraction from dealing with the difficulties of life. Nothing else seemed interesting at the time. I didn't want to listen to music, read or think too hard about anything at the time. I just wanted to feel the peace and bliss. In the World of eastern meditation, there are some people who are known as bliss junkies. They like to meditate and bliss out all of the time. Doing so doesn't offer a solution for dealing with the affairs of life. Some bliss junkies hide from their problems.

quote:
Originally posted by Tunza

I had never thought of this Albert. Good point.

My brother had such a problem with blushing when he was a teenager that he was miserable and it became a viscious circle for a while.

I remember in psychology class we were taught the power of the mind to affect the body. We were asked to imagine biting into a very sour lemon. We had to visualise the feel of holding the lemon, the smell of it and then imagine biting it. All of us noticed we had started salivating.

There are so many of these sort of processes in our bodies that help us survive. TMS pain is the result of our mind thinking it's harmful for us to feel the full force of our emotions. When I first read about TMS I thought there was no way I would prefer physical pain over feeling emotions. Then I had a nightmare a while ago that woke me up and was so real and so profoundly disturbing that it convinced me otherwise. In the nightmare just before I was jolted awake I was climbing out of a cave away from the awful thing that had happened. To me this shows that the stuff in my unconscious (in the underground cave) is far more frightening than I realised.

When I woke I actually said to myself that I would far rather have pain than feel that horror again. In the light of the next day I couldn't believe I had said that.

When you think about the feelings people have to face when they lose a loved one you realise just how horrific emotions can be to deal with.

There endeth my rambling for today....

Kat

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000