TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 diverticulitis - a TMS equivalent?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  14:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all and happy new year! Been a while so I wanted to ask a question. An elderly relative has had diverticulitis for like 15 years. This person has had about four surgeries where each time they cut more intestine out. For those familiar with this "disease" do you think it is a tms equivalent or a real physical malady caused by the pockets formed in the intestine from lack of fiber and water in the diet? Could it be tms caused by repressed rage and worry, similar to ulcer, acid reflux, etc. The part about this that gets dicey though is that the person's bowels become obstructed and the person literally is vomiting waste and emergency surgery is needed. Thoughts?

Cee

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  14:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I am only 48 and just diagnosed this October with diverticulitis after I ended up in the Emergency room of a local hospital. I knew a few years ago I had diverticulosis....but once those pockets become infected it is diverticulitis. I have had two CT scans, two weeks of nasty, strong anti biotics and a colonoscopy.
The Doctor tells me that 80% of patients with this never have another infection/attack. The other 20% are the one who have more isssues with it and often surgery (bowel dissection).
I asked the same question you did and the Doctor explained to me that this is a physical illness/ defect if you will in the body. However, I continue to have cramping and pain even though all tests done show no more infections....that part the Doctor says could be due to the stressors in my life. I also suffer from an anxiety/panic disorder which was quiet and I was working full time and went back to grad school.....and then a lot of things happened from last January until now and the anxiety / panic has flared up and I am presently unable to work......I make sure to eat a lot of fiber and drink a ton of water. Eating the suggested 25 mg of fiber is NOT easy with our American diet of prcessed foods and meat.

Cee
Go to Top of Page

hottm8oh

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  09:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diverticular disease runs in my family. The women on my mother's side of the family have it. I was just diagnosed in October when I ended up in the ER with what everyone thought was appendicitis. I've been in terrible abdominal pain since. I have two more weeks to wait until my colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. I am also going to be biopsy tested for celiac disease.

I don't believe that diverticulitis is a TMS equivalent. Doctors are unsure of how the diverticula, but they are there due to a weakness in the colon wall. Diverticulitis is an infection that can become very serious if not treated medically. There are diet changes that can be made to hold off infections, but some patients continue to have recurrent infections due to the deterioration.
Go to Top of Page

Cee

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  07:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct. It is not thought to be TMS or stress related. However, I have cramping that the Doctor does think is stress related. Eat a lot of fiber (25 mg per day if possible) and drink a ton of water. Also eat meat and processed products in limited amounts.....basically the American diet! I was tested for wheat (celiac) through a blood test and I do not have the allergy. I next have to be tested for lactose and that is a breathing test that can take up to 3 hours.
I have an Aunt and an Uncle on my fathers' side with diverticulitis. My Aunt is now 87 and eats pretty much everything and never had another attack. My Uncle is not so lucky. He has had numerous issues and has had a bowel disection.

Cee
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000