TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 question for Hillbilly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gezondheid

50 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  13:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillbilly,

I red in some topics that you changed the way of curing your TMS/AOS.
As i understand it you introduced CBT in the treatment. Also you changed the diagnoses to anxiety (being the main cause) and a nervous system in the overdrive.

I think this is great. I think repressed emotions can be a large part of the problem but our thinking, minute to minute is just as important. My question for you is how did you applied this. Did you modified your thinking in relation with anxyty,fear. Did you modified your basic fundamental thoughts like there is a God or a man must work etc. What is the engineering behind CBT in relation with TMS.

I am not in pain now but i am not really cured. Fear for the pain is my biggest problem. A little itch in my lower back with fear and thought patterns about backpain are the main problem. I am working on that in a Sarno/Brady way but i am convinced that CBT, being aware and getting hold of your brain is as important as the unconscious stuff. I red Monte's book and i think it's very complementary with Sarno.

I just like to know how your succes with CBT works.

Maybe you can give some info.

Thanks

Greetings Gezondheid

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  16:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't follow a specific, book-outlined program, but it definitely had aspects of thought and belief restructuring as its center. That's why I advocate finding someone who works in the field who went through it. Can't overstate how important that was to me for credibility. My person had adapted what she had learned into her own program and tweaked it again to deal with my areas of limitation.
Go to Top of Page

gezondheid

50 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  02:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillbilly,

Thanks for your reaction. In Holland the mindbody stuff is still very much in the way of there is a body and there is a mind. And TMS/AOS as a
diagnoses is almost not known here. Than again i know what i can do and i stopped asking professionals to integrate this in their work.

Thanks again and back to life.

Greetings Gezondheid
Go to Top of Page

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  09:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gezonheid,

You say that in Holland there seems to be a problem linking mind and body. Are their no mood disorder treatments available? After all that is the problem.

More than 100 years ago a brilliant lady named Annie Payson Call wrote of how bad habits of thinking lead people into nervous prostration and how to get out of it. In that book she wrote that the way to get rid of symptoms (she specifically names neck pain, and since the neck is part of the spine, it isn't a stretch to see back pain in the same way) was to systematically ignore them, learn to rest instead of strain to do everything in your life, to let go of resistance to any and all things. The book is Called Nerves and Common Sense, and it is written in a way that will be easily understood by anyone. If you are interested, it is available for free download through the Gutenberg Project, just Google the name of the book or the author.

Perhaps what you are lacking is a synthesis of all the different theories and explanations you have read or heard, which keeps you wondering if you are doing it right and adding more stress. I think the above reference is a good place to start. For more in-depth CBT, David Burns and David Barlow have written a great deal on the subject. Their books are readily available, and there are even lots of self-help resources to check out about dealing with fear. I know of no other way to deal with fear than directly doing what you fear consistently and resolutely and bearing the discomfort that comes with it. Fear of public speaking causes agonies of the body for the self-conscious, but they can still talk if they push through the fear and focus on speaking and communicating instead of what their body is doing. The same process is used to overcome the control of our lives we give up to any emotionally-induced symptom that interferes with our functioning. I believe that is why Dr. Sarno so strongly advocates doing any and all things in order to combat the fear of collapse or other mistaken beliefs associated with tension pain.

I wish you well.
Go to Top of Page

curingCFS

36 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  09:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillbilly that was a really good title Nerves and Common Sense, thanks for posting it.

What else have you got to recommend besides Burns (didn't care for his Feeling Good book, but Barlow I will look into--never heard of him.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gezondheid

50 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  14:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillbilly,

Thanks for your reply and tips. In Holland one can be treated for mood disorders. Problem is that the link made to the backpain is not direct.
They always say the stress goes to your weak spot because of sitting or bla bla bla. In their perception there is a mental problem which makes a so called weak part of the body under stress painful. I haven't found yet a professional who said that the body symptoms where directly initiated by the brain/nervous system. And i called a lot to ask their opinion. I think i can do a lot with the Sarno-Brady/Monte combination.
I also listened to Dr Weeks (MP3 internet) about anxiety. Good stuff.
I will check out the information that you gave. Thanks again for that.

I also wish you well.

Greetings Gezondheid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000