TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What to do when in terrible pain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Toronto

25 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  07:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in terrible pain in the last two days and feel better today. Was almost pain free for the whole last week and could function "normally". My problem is mainly with my back.

I find out when the pain is not so intense, I can do journaling and express my feelings (at least to think what is going on). I fully accept the TMS theory, since I know when the pain started (at the time the pain started a few years ago, I couldn't tolerate the emotional pain then and "decided" not to think about it and ignore it and then the pain developed - I didn't know about mindbody connection at that time, I can recall that moment). So my pain is not connected to any physical activity and I knew that from beginning. Was doing the sports with no fears or anything.

So, I am fine to be with my feelings when the pain is mild/medium.
The thing is when I am in intense pain, I feel so blocked by the pain that I can not concentrate on anything emotional. When I try, I can not think about any emotions or anything else that bothers me. And I know that must be some emotions which create the pain. I just feel blocked. Any suggestions what to do in that case? Can I do the deep breathing or have a hot shower? I know that this is concentration on physical, not physiological, but with such a pain I can not function or think physiologically.

What do you think?

Kavita

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  08:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toronto,

Sarno mentions a patient with a scenario similar to yours in his Mind-Body Prescription. The patient recovered by facing her emotions when the pain was at its absolute worst. Your body is creating these episodes of severe physical pain because the physical pain works to distract you from your emotional pain. When you are able to focus on the emotional pain during your physical pain, the pain mechanism will have been rendered useless. Thus, I would recommend, though it may seem impossible, facing your emotions at the height of your pain. It will be a battle, but if you win this one, it will be the most significant victory in your odyssey.

As I still suffer from pain myself, I know it is much easier tell someone to face his/her emotions when the pain is at its worst than to actually do it. But you CAN do it. Let us know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  08:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
get into therapy fast!
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  14:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes when the pain is bugging me and I've been pain free, or close to pain free for a while, I get MAD.

And I mean mad like throw a tantrum mad. I jump up and down, stomp my feet, growl, and scream, "THERE WILL BE NO MORE PAIN!!! I AM NOT HAVING ANY PAIN TODAY!!!"

Sounds silly, but usually it works.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000