TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS in multiple places
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  10:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, all!

I was just wondering if any of you have TMS manifesting in a few different areas at the same time. For me, it has always been one place at a time. Many years ago it was my back, then TMJ, then urinary problems, and on and on and on! For over two years it's been dizziness. Some days the dizziness is not there but I'll have some other problem. Over and over again I seem to keep catching one virus after another. I've had three colds in the past few months. In between, I broke my middle toe (spiral fracture) and was in a splint hobbling around for almost two months. As soon as I was on the mend from that I got another cold and the day after the cold ended I got a mysterious eye infection which required steroid/antibiotic eye drops. The eye infection is nearly gone and my back has started huring horribly. Does all this seem normal? Sometimes the illnesses/injuries overlap -- in other words, one is on it's way out and something else starts up. It's getting to the point where I'm scared to get up in the morning for fear of "what's next?" HELP!!!

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  10:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S.

Since it's been awhile since the "back" thing, how exactly do the rest of you get through the day without giving in and just going to the chiropractor? In the past, that was the first place I'd run. After reading Sarno's books and knowing what I know now, I know that's not what I should be doing. I have a big boutique to get ready for this weekend and I'm stressed. I keep worrying my back will "go out" (I know, I know, backs just don't go out) if I don't do something quick. I need some help in what I should focus on to think my way out of my aching back and stiff neck problems. The chiropractor has always told me "You're all locked up" and then done an adjustment and I'm fine. I'm really trying not to give in and go that route!

Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  14:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can relate to the multiple, overlapping TMS equivalents that you describe. The same sort of thing has been happening to me for decades, but I can control the situation to a great degree now by employing the various anti-TMS strategies that have been discussed in Sarno's books and in the books of his disciples and have been provided within this forum....Just say no to the chiro...Reread and/or relisten to Sarno, search for the source of the anger (whether it be a past event or a current event or a combination), relive earlier traumatic events through mental imagery, push yourself to exercise and to gradually perform the activities that you fear, and let out your anger physically. Believe your own assertion that your back cannot "go out." Don't allow any mental imagery or any thoughts that focus on strutural explanations for the pain.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  14:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well guys the one thing I can say is we are ALL alike! I am under extreme stress now and started noticeing a small improvement in my initial TMS problem, being my toes.Then after a sleepless night woke up with a mouth full of painfull blisters on my tongue.I don't have herpes either!! This has happened on & off when I get very stressed out.In the past I had my eyelids even get inflamed. It is the time that we live in plus our personality types = TMS! One day I am going to get a party together for all of "us"! Any New Yorkers interested?? I live on Long Island LOL

Edited by - holly on 11/30/2004 14:42:04
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  16:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to stay focused on Sarno's methods and try to think myself out of these things. Right now, my back is aching and I've definitely felt the "dizzies" on and off today. I'm also very tired and that doesn't help anything. Holly, I've had the mouth blister thing too. I had sores all over my tongue and gums and inside my cheeks. I thought it was "thrush" but it wasn't. It was very strange. It came and went and then a new thing started (don't remember which there have been so many!!!)

Go to Top of Page

Carol

91 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  16:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also can relate to your multiple "symptoms". I now have more than one pain location at the same time, but before the pain started all my symptoms were "one at a time". As soon as one would leave another would take its' place. In fact, pain replaced all the others. I haven't had any other types of TMS equivalents since my back pain started. Just other pain locations. Sometimes they take turns though.

Carol
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  06:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a reader of my Bio :)
I can pretty much get any of the mention symptoms at any particular time .
I can have several at once although typically only one dominant.

Basically, when I get stressed out and have an emotional trigger... my brain chooses the most logical target.... if I'd been lifting it would be my back if I'd been talking it would be my voice if I'd been walking it would be my knee (not to say it is always that logical, I'm sure my brain would throw in just the opposite . just to trick me occasionally)

When my pain is really really bad . I just try to get engrossed in something, anything just to give me a short reprise. But basically it comes down to learning the skill of not giving power to your pain.

I had a very painful back for a day and a half recently. And I was very proud of my ability not to dwell on it, despite the fact that it hurt a lot and I was thinking about it a lot. So I went out and saw some friends(ie did an engrossing activity, which enabled me to forget about it for a bit) and the next day it was gone. Of course, I had already decided the emotional factors Re: why it actually happened, so I found it a lot easier . not to focus on. Once I can say oh it was that emotional event and these other pressuresetc. ok , so now I understand why I can forget about it.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  09:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is so comforting to know I'm not the only one experiencing all these wacky symptoms. I was telling a friend of mine yesterday that it almost has gotten to a point with me that I'm afraid to go to sleep at night because I'm afraid of what I'm going to wake up with the next morning. Yesterday I had a follow-up visit with my eye doctor to check and see if my eye infection was gone. He told me things looked good but to taper off the eye drops gradually because it is a steroid and "some people" get a rebound effect when they finish the drops. Of course, my mind went running off with that one and I started thinking "If it's going to happen, it will happen to me." My back has been hurting all week and yesterday I actually made a chiropractor appointment and then called back and cancelled. I know what to do, I just need to be strong and do it! I'm under tremendous pressure right now (aren't we all!) and it's really taking it's toll with the physical symptoms. Thank you, Menvert, for your input. Like I said, it sure helps to know you're not alone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000