TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Frustration.... my brain is testing me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

res

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  17:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am frustrated tonight and I thought I would sound off on the board. I have been MUCH better the past week and feeling like I was about to win. Then this morning I stumbled up the steps just a little. Soon after the pain increased. I know that there is no way that this could cause the sciatica to increase, but I think that my brain is testing me. At one time I had "SI joint" issues (so said a chiro)so I think that my brain is trying to put doubt in there. However, I know that this is ridiculous. Anyway, I am going to do alot of journaling tonight to let out some of this frustration. Any words of wisdom from anyone?

Renee

electraglideman

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  19:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

When we are in our recovery period we have to remember our brains have been programed in the past to believe that we will feel pain by doing minor things like stumbling just a little on some steps.

It takes time to reprogram the brain. It sounds like your doing the right things. Congradualtons and keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Webdan65

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  19:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts...

Don't just journal when you are in pain. I find that as the pain lessens it's not on my mind. But I found out the hard way that if I stop thinking psychologically and stop the journaling, inevitably the pain starts to creep back in after a certain amount of time passes.

The other thing I just learned was that the idea of resuming all physical activity is right on the money. I After "taking it easy" since June when I had my first major pain occurrence in the past 8 years, I just got back into working out. I was very fearful of working out. High intensity weight training and also running on a treadmill.

In the past few months, I would hesitate to even jog for fear of bringing on a wave of spasm's. So I was pretty fearful of getting on a treadmill and turning up the speed to a steady jog and even a full run.

But what I found out was this. By ignoring the minor twinge, telling myself it's nothing and pushing through and continuing the workout, it passed. And as a result, the pain has been less than prior to beginning to work out. I think it sent a strong message to my brain that says - you can't stop me so you better quit trying.

So, follow Sarno's advice:
* Read and re-read the material
* Journal regularly whether you are in pain or not. It's a great maintenance routine.
* Ignore the pain and go on with what you were doing. The more you "rest it" the more tms wins.
* When there is a significant reduction in pain - resume ALL physical activity. (my two cents - push yourself. It really does tell the brain that you are done with it.)

Wrinse, lather, repeat...

Hope this helps.

Dan
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  11:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good you KNOW the ridiculousness of it. I had that too when I would trip or stumble. My brain would immediately "scan" my main area of pain to "check" if I was ok, then more pain would come. Even when there was no possible way I could have done anything harmful. You'll notice these things more and more, and by acknowledging it your brain will either...

a) Stop trying because it knows it's been caught.

b)Test you just a little to divert attention. Just as it did just enough to drive you to write this post. It is DEFINITELY doing it's job.

c) Or it will fight back harder at first for a short while.

But the more you start to piece things together daily, the more it will know it can't hide. The only possible thing it can do now is increase anxiety or some other negative emotion. But good job recognizing the silliness of it's workings. That's a huge step some people need to get down. Just keep trying and give yourself room to be frustrated, even that is a step.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000