TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Dealing with sport-related TMS-like pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  20:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic comes up a lot, but this is the first time it's been an issue for me, so I thought maybe it would be worth rehashing to see if any of you have thoughts/tips for strategies.

I ride my bike a lot, and in general I don't get much pain from it beyond muscle soreness, and occasional knee pain that I just ignore because it's typical TMS spot for me. But I noticed that my left wrist has been bugging me on longer rides on my commute bike. I did have wrist issues as part of TMS, but not of this exact kind.

Mild occasional wrist pain from riding is pretty normal, and for me it's always gone away quickly afterwards, which is still the case with this one, but it just felt worse. But it has all the hallmarks of TMS -- occurs on activity, doesn't seem to make sense (why just one wrist, etc), is irritating but not really debilitating at first.

I had a sense that I was maybe holding my wrist differently on that side, but I didn't necessarily want to fall into physical thinking. I also tried TMS thinking on a ride on Saturday and it felt better afterwards, I definitely felt a change in blood flow level. But today I noticed that on my right hand I could feel much more pressure on the pinkly side of the palm than I could on my left. When I shifted my left hand to match that, I stopped feeling the pressure and the pain didn't really start up except when I would slip back into my habitual position.

So...it's not really TMS, I guess. It's one of the cases where because the activity level is more intense, positioning does make a difference. But I'm hesitant to believe it's totally unrelated, because a lot of positioning wisdom is actually not that important (like posture at the computer) and the blood flow thoughts did help.

How do you recreational athletes out there deal with this? Do you take the positioning/equipment stuff really seriously, or with a grain of salt? Do you think TMS first or positioning/overuse first?

Just looking for thoughts here.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.

swmr1

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  06:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would tend to think that something like you are describing might be a technique problem. I'd try correcting my technique first. Then, if your wrist doesn't seem to improve even after correction you could see a Dr. to rule out any physical problems. A BIG TMS indicator for me is when I participate in an activity pain-free and then experience some kind of joint pain hours afterward. Seems most of my TMS problems have been delayed onset as opposed to hurting myself during activity.
Go to Top of Page

bert

24 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  06:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you guys find that when you do workouts and use muscles, especially as we age, that you haven't used in some time that your sore or hurting depending on how hard or how long you've exerted yourself afterwards? I've always hurt the next day and moreso the 2nd day after workouts. If I don't, then I going to easy on my workouts or it's time to increase workout. I've just got back into exercise since staying away for over 5 years. Everything I do hurts now. But has gotten easier as I progress. I just go slow.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  08:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks swmr, that's the kind of thing I was wondering. That's pretty much my inclination too -- if a relatively minor, sensible technique change fixes things, to go with that.

I don't get much in the way of delayed pain generally; my TMS issues were always at the time of activity. (I was surprised when I first learned that some people get delayed pain from TMS.) Even my muscle soreness starts very quickly after a tough workout. Workout-related soreness feels really different to me than active pain, so I don't have issues with it really.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

swmr1

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  09:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Workout-related soreness feels really different to me than active pain, so I don't have issues with it really.

I agree. Work-out soreness is a "good" kind of pain (for me, anyway). There's a difference with muscle spasm or joint pain. My TMS symptoms were really annoying as I could exercise long and hard and feel NO pain whatsoever and then have my piriformis or shoulder and neck muscles spasm hours later. Never made sense to me until TMS was explained.

EDIT:
I should add that a really helpful part of what Sarno points out is the body's ability to heal. It really helps to know that it's ridiculous to have a chronic injury that never seems to resolve itself no matter what you try.

Edited by - swmr1 on 08/14/2007 10:03:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000