TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 is anyone completely TMS free?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  13:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone here honestly say that they don't have any TMS or any of the long list of TMS equivalents? Just wondering what others experiences were regarding this?

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  13:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the people without TMS are somewhere else. ;-)

According to Sarno, virtually everyone in the Western world has at least some mild, occasional mindbody symptoms.

The goal is to get to where your symptoms are exactly that -- mild, occasional, and not interfering with your life.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Gemma_Louise

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  14:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the above comment. Even the occasional tension induced headache or unsettled stomach could be seen as TMS and these kinds of things happen to all of us at some point, depending on the current stresses in life.

Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  14:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alexis says she's 100% cured.

You might post to her attention and ask her about it.

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  15:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by armchairlinguist

The goal is to get to where your symptoms are exactly that -- mild, occasional, and not interfering with your life.

Yup. That's it in a nutshell. Nicely said.

In a way, TMS treatment can be a life long process. Its my opinion once you "get it" (TMS treatment, that is) and your symptoms are 90% gone, its time to claim victory. Once you have the knowledge future minor occurences can be managed easily in a fraction of the time.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 07/10/2007 15:11:10
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  15:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stryder says it very well.

I was going to go on to say that for those of us who have had significant cases of TMS, we may end up managing minor recurrences on an ongoing basis, simply because our personalities and habits predispose us to being repressors.

Whether it's worth changing the habits too, or keeping up on journaling regularly, or whatever it takes to deal with things, is up to us individually. Other than that it is the knowledge penicillin that protects us. I woke up yesterday morning with my left shoulder sore. I knew it was TMS immediately (standard place, and I'm under a lot of stress right now) and by evening it was gone. I hardly noticed it during the day except when I was lifting or stretching to reach something. So yes, I still have TMS symptoms. But I also regard myself as 'cured', because I lead my life the way I please without fear of pain.

--
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  15:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, too. I’m definitely not free of TMS in the form of minor symptoms – but it’s fantastic to be cured of my RSI and to be able to type / mouse as much as I want, and as Stryder says, “Once you have the knowledge future minor occurences can be managed easily in a fraction of the time.”

Of course, being a perfectionist, I’m aiming to be one of those people who never gets ill! But I’ve probably got a lot of work to do before I get there.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  16:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I count myself free of TMS. My most serious symptom now is at the level of a headache if I have to go to a party I don't want to go to. Or feeling fluish if I have to take a trip out of town (something I hate). But even these don't get in the way of my functioning. I just get on with what I have to do and take a couple of aspirin if it hurts too much.

But I believe NOBODY is such that they don't *have* TMS. Synptoms can always occur to distract you from dealing with your angry emotions. It just depends on whether you fall for it or not.

ndb

Edited by - ndb on 07/10/2007 16:26:07
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  22:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NBD brings up a good point about how situational things and various parts of life itself bring up TMS. How many of you who have managed your symptoms are out there living your best life?...working out hard most days of the week, good solid social life, going after what you really want in your career etc etc... and with all that taken into consideration - still don't have TMS? Or are you just so happy that you've managed your symptoms that living your best life isn't a main concern right now? How confident are you in the ability to push yourself more and still be TMS free?

Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  22:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'd be less likely to get TMS symptoms if I were living my "best life". :-) Honestly, I'm still sorting stuff out -- building a support network, learning how to do a good job at work, increasing my physical fitness, etc. But does TMS worry and limit me in my life? No way.

--
Go to Top of Page

RiverMark

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  19:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It never goes away. Not for me. To a degree, it's like welcoming a vampire into your home. Once, invited, it's power and control never subsides (don't worry... I don't really believe in vampires). I sometimes reach near-depression levels over its inevitability to take control (don't worry... I'm not really depressed). And, while my self-talk routine can put it in its place, I haven't yet mastered how to drive it permanently from my domain. As we all know, reason and rationale along with good, hard critical thinking have no silver bullet effect on its immature outrage and its juvenile approach to create a distraction regardless of the costs. It claims it fears emotions and yet those emotions are no match against it. And, so the battle rages on, at times transforming into a daily "fight club" routine and never with a winner. We both emerge to fight again, another day...

-=RM=-
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  19:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnD

How many of you who have managed your symptoms are out there living your best life?...Or are you just so happy that you've managed your symptoms that living your best life isn't a main concern right now?

At first I was just so happy, it was about regaining normal. But now without even trying I find I'm stretching for more. But it's stretching from an increasingly stable and well-adjusted base (different from the "stretching" -- or more accurately "grasping" -- of 8 months ago). And it's something I didn't even think about when things were at their worst or in early recovery. So now I've really no idea where I'll be in a year or two.
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  07:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnD

How confident are you in the ability to push yourself more and still be TMS free?

Confident to the point where I never even think about it. It's never a question of "Can I?" anymore. I push myself as hard as I like.

Never would I even remotely consider limiting my activities of any kind over TMS.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  11:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
h2oskier25,

I should have been more clear with my question.....What I really meant was 'how confident are you in your ability to push yourself lifestyle wise and not get tms or a tms equivalent'.....Nbd mentioned that he sometimes gets fluish symptoms when he travels out of town. Does anyone else have correlations to NBd's experience maybe in another situation etc... and how confident are you in taking on that other challenge that isn't physical and being able to hold off or not get TMS etc??
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  15:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JohnD,

I am now very confident in my ability to push myself lifestyle wise. If a TMS equivalent shows up I am very confident of my ability to do away with it very quickly.

For example, one reason I used to hate airplanes is because they keep then unreasonably cold sometimes and I would get extended sneezing fits. As a precaution I would make sure to take lots of extra clothing and flu medicine. Now I just hop on to the plane without thinking about it twice. Now I am no longer affected by the temperature of the plane.

I go camping without worrying about what the temperatures will be like and whether I will be able to withstand the cold. My tolerance to cold has gone up tremendously. I feel normal in this respect now.

As a second example, I have a lot of stress related to my work, mostly stemming from not being confident in my ability to produce original research. This often leads to my not finishing projects that I start on my own initiative (if I don't finish it, I don't run the risk of knowing that I failed is my convoluted reasoning, I think). Or I used to show many TMS symptoms as a result of being stressed about this. However, last month, I took on the task of writing up my phd dissertation, which took about a month and completed it without any symptoms or sickness during the course of it. Usually even the thought of such an undertaking would cause TMS symptoms to appear. But I did not have any nervousness about starting the task this time. In my pre-TMS days at times like this I would certainly come down with some sort of respiratory illness and/or rashes.

ndb

Edited by - ndb on 07/12/2007 15:21:49
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  18:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NBD - very cool, congrats on your PhD dissertation.

Everyone else - thanks for sharing. I think this thread can provide some of the newbies with what they have to look forward to. It was refreshing for me to read. I think back to over 4 years ago to how helpless I felt about having TMS (before I knew it was TMS) and think about where I am now, and it just feels so good. Hearing all your positive experiences is very fortifying for me. TMS can provide a great model to refer to (well atleast it has for me) about being positive in the face of various challenges in life.
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  11:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks JohnD. I agree with you, knowing about TMS eventually starts to permeate into other areas and gives a more positive outlook towards tackling challenges in life.

ndb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000