TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 "Conditioning" thinking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phillyjoe

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  08:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted last week on TMS episode from stiffness after vacation experience. I had been relatively painfree from this type of severe symptoms for about 4 years. Remarks to support me were excellent and reminded me that my thinking may be faulty as I talked about certain "chair" sitting as a preemptive to pain. Can someone please help me sort out this "conditioning" thinking. I am going on another long driving trip in August and although I have made similar trips with just regular stiffness, this past occassion laid me out. I don't want to start thinking the "Oh no, is this going to happen again" thought wave. Also, I was reminded about Dr. Sarno's comment in HBP about TMS symptoms on and after vacations. I haven't read that in a long time, can someone please refresh my memory regarding that process. Also, would conditioning also be when I "check" myself, like getting up from a chair and putting my hands on my back, or even walking and placing my hands on my back as a way to balance myself and force me to walk straight up? Thank you.

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am one who had TMS pain when coming home from vacation--sitting in the airport waiting for the plane, and some long and painful plane rides home. Clearly it was not wanting to return to reality for me as I can remember exactly what I was thinking (ugh, back to work tomorrow, or my son is leaving . . .). Last 3 trips were pain-free now that I think about it.
One of the other causes for pain on vacation is the stress of vacation (planning, getting there) or the stress you feel due to people you're with or your own issues (what am I missing at work?). Could be lots of things. Many people have a hard time relaxing and letting everything go while away.
After one day of transition (first day on vacation), I'm in a totally different state and I love that I can let go like that (finally).
As you must realize, it is not likely your seat is the cause of the problem. BUT continuing to think it is will cause you pain. I understand the apprehension since it has happened so many times. But it does not HAVE to. I deconditioned myself when coming home from trips and do not have pain. And some have been long flights.
Millions of people sit and take long drives without pain.
Lastly, why do you need to balance to stand up?
You must repudiate the physical and accept the psychological in order to be healed of TMS.
-Lori
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  16:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Oh no, is this going to happen again"

An excellent example of a "victim" thought, which I'm very familiar with!
Control thought: "Oh no it's NOT going to happen! I know it's TMS and has nothing to do with the seat/ car journey."

(See “You’re the one in control – not the pain" thread:

http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3603

)

Hilary N

Edited by - HilaryN on 07/09/2007 16:34:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000