TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Swan song
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  10:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

I'm sure there were many people who didn't like TT's posts and simply did not read them, as opposed to the few who felt legitimately hurt and were compelled to fuel the fire with inflammatory responses, ultimately driving him away. Some might view this as a victory. I see it differently.

Exactly, and those who DID drive him away are guilty of exactly what they most commonly accused him of.

Not only did TT contribute to the knowledge of people looking for help applying Sarno techniques, he never hesitated to thank Dave for his contributions and commitment to this board.

Shane, . . . . come back Shane . . .
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  11:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure many here think of it as a "victory." I sincerely regret that TT thinks somehow I'm responsible for turning the board against him.

Beth, don't see how you could possibly miss that TT viewed himself as resident expert though...He said over and over that he was a board stalwart with much expertise in the subject. He definitely saw himself in that role. Which is fine, if that's how he liked to think of himself of course. It is interesting to me though, that you missed this. And Anne's right, He never once asked for any help himself. Not once in the couple of years I've been aorund...More than once, he said he didn't even have TMS, although when it came to his depression, the one thing he did seem to talk about, I think he believed that might have been an equivalent.

To hear TT tell it, he had no problems and was always, always, always right.

TT threatened to leave a bunch of times. Wheh I was involved in the discussion, I always made it clear I wanted him to stay. TT I believe needed this forum much more than he admitted. I had a feeling things were coming to a bit of a head when he began dedicating entire threads to defending himself. Something struck me as a tad off about that.

Edited by - art on 06/27/2007 12:07:41
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  12:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by art

If you read the archives, including the old forum, you'll find this is not true. In fact, he almost died from an overdose of NSAIDs trying to curtail his pain. If TT became more assured and confident as time went on, it is possibly because he had success fighting his TMS.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  15:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only talk about when I was around. My main point anyway, is that in all those innumerable discussions, debates, arguments, whatever you want to call them, TT was simply never wrong. Wouldn't even acknowledge the possibility. I've never seen a man expend so much energy in pursuit of being right. For one very good example, it wasn't his fault he had a running battle with what seemed half the forum at times, it was mine for, as I understand it, wrongly accusing him of being unkind to newcomers, thus inciting forum-wide antipathy toward him.

Also, I might be wrong as I'm not an expert in TT and his TMS, but I'm pretty sure I recall him saying that his hip was chronic and probably not TMS. Which is fine. Who cares? JUst find it interesting.

Edited by - art on 06/27/2007 15:10:38
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  17:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TT must've found a new board or outlet. They say you can't stop habits, only replace them.
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  19:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

I'm sure there were many people who didn't like TT's posts and simply did not read them, as opposed to the few who felt legitimately hurt and were compelled to fuel the fire with inflammatory responses, ultimately driving him away. Some might view this as a victory. I see it differently.

Ironically, it appeared that TT left in response to my probing and challenging him (although I think it was brewing for a while). This was the first time I ever "got in the ring" with him. I say ironically, b/c it was not at ALL on my conscious mind to say anything that would inspire him to leave. For the first several days I felt terrible guilt and was very angry with TT about his leaving. He tried to make it look like I was the one responsible, in essence displacing his decision on me, just like the times he took credit for many other people leaving.

I am grateful to TT. Through our last exchange, he gave me an archive-preserved example of a pattern of self blame I replicate over and over in my life. I constantly take ownership for other people's actions and impressions, and his leaving was NOT my intent or choice ... it was his.

TT has most always been helpful to me. He, like everyone else who chooses to leave, made a decision to not keep smacking himself on the head. I don't know TennisTom personally, but I'm guessing this was a big step for him, and probably very challenging and unsettling.

>|< Penny
"Oz never did give nothing to the Tinman that he didn't already have."
song lyric, America

Edited by - Penny on 06/27/2007 19:44:56
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  21:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to stick up for TT also.. I found lots of his posts on TMS enlightening, and appreciated his sense of humor. I can't agree with the charge that he "had it all figured out", as he had many posts describing his quandry with his hip - I'm sure that's a stressful deal for someone who lives to play tennis.

Also enjoyed the political debates - partly because the cable channels have absolutley RUINED the evening news shows by covering Paris Hilton, prison life,etc. instead of real news. So I guess at times I've gotten my fix here. Even if TT was often to the right of Ann Coulter, he was always thought-provoking and entertaining. I'm sure political views are often a product of where you live, and what you have to put up with. I'm fortunate to be in the middle of nowhere, and people generally take a live and let live approach here. My biggest worry walking at night is surprising a moose. But if I lived in a big city like TT (San Francisco?) and had to deal with panhandlers, break-ins etc., and avoid certain areas, my libertarian outlook would certainly be tested.

Weatherman

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  07:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone denies TT had a great sense of humor and a quick wit. The important question it seems to me is why was he perpetually at war with so many forum members.

Edited by - art on 06/28/2007 07:26:29
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  08:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by art

I don't think anyone denies TT had a great sense of humor and a quick wit. The important question it seems to me is why was he perpetually at war with so many forum members.

It seems lots of the disputes had some root in political views, where the differences somehow got taken as personal attacks. And TT was certainly way to the right of most people on this board. The whole TMS theory would fall into the "alternative" medicine category in the eyes of most conventional docs, and for whatever reason the people receptive to such ideas tend to be more liberal politically than those who aren't. I've known some rolfers, acupuncturists etc., and most of them were not John Birchers - though owning a business will definitely make one think about money more than before.

Weatherman

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  08:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by art

That's funny, Art. When was the last time YOU weren't right?

You can't deny that TT helped out a lot of people new to this board and unclear how to apply TMS theroy, sort of the way Dave and Stryder do a lot.

Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  10:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've admitted more than once to having made mistakes on this forum. I'm not about to go back and dig 'em all up, but I've apologized a bunch of times for various transgressions, inculuding a couple of "I'm sorry's" to TT himself...

Possibly my biggest mistake was taking you on..

I've never denied TT was a help to many people around here. He was also from time to time an impediment.

Edited by - art on 06/28/2007 10:51:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000