TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Also caught between psychological & the physical
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  07:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by truenorth

You & Shary seem to be the only reasonable people left on this board. The rest believe 99.9% (toothaches? get real) of all ailments are psychogenic and if one doesn't get better with Sarno, simply blame the victim for not trying hard enough or believing deeply enough

This board is about TMS. If you're not interested in this point of view then you have come to the wrong place.

TMS "purists" do not think that every pain is psychogenic. The last thing a TMS "purist" will do is blame the victim for "not trying hard enough". I don't know where you get these ideas. Maybe you are projecting your own feelings.

This board has never been a support forum for chronic pain "victims". It is a place to discuss topics related to TMS, specifically, Dr. Sarno's theories.

Many people who have had success battling TMS have had success only after actually following Dr. Sarno's advice and repudiating the structural diagnosis. He explains very clearly in his books why it is essential to not attribute physical problems to the cause of pain.

There is no such thing as "TMS with physical overlay." This is your theory. If you want to believe you know more than a medical doctor with over 30 years clinical experience treating and healing real patients, that's your perrogative.

There is no room in Dr. Sarno's theory for any "physical overlay". If you think that way then it is fundamentally contradictory to TMS. If you think this is a "purist" view then you probably should find a different forum.
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  09:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

There is no such thing as "TMS with physical overlay." This is your theory. If you want to believe you know more than a medical doctor with over 30 years clinical experience treating and healing real patients, that's your perrogative.

There is no room in Dr. Sarno's theory for any "physical overlay". If you think that way then it is fundamentally contradictory to TMS.

SO VERY TRUE! The Artist and others on this board are living proof that when you still believe in the physical, you're breaking rule number one of Sarno treatment, which is REPUDIATE ALL PHYSICAL EVIDENCE OF YOUR PAIN.

That sounds so illogical, until we remind ourselves that nobody has a back without anomalies, and yet most people are pain free with the anomalies.

A couple of years ago I found out I had a spina bifida occulta in one of my vertebrae. That just means the bones don't "meet" in one single vertebra. Looks pretty serious on the x-rays. YET I HAVE NEVER HAD BACK PAIN.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  09:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beth,

That's the advantage of having hung around here for a while. We get to have a sense of what works, and what doesn't. As you say, those who remain stuck in the physical, tend not to get better. Some of us remain stuck in the same place for years.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000