TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Are you a Perfectionist? Take the test online
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  21:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://discoveryhealth.queendom.com/perfectionism_abridged_access.html

I scored 84 which means:

"According to this test, you are bound by the cuffs of perfectionism. You set impossibly high standards that can never be met; either you impose those expectations on yourself, others, or a combination of the two. You may even believe that others expect you to be perfect. Whatever the case, this tendency is most likely making you suffer needlessly - whether you realize it or not. It's time that you became aware of your perfectionist side and work on toning it down. While a desire to succeed and strive to reach your full potential can bring you personal fulfillment, you also have to learn when good is 'good enough'. It's important that you develop the ability to distinguish between reasonable aspirations or goals and unreasonable demands. When you set unattainable objectives, you are being cruel to yourself and denying yourself the rewards and self-acceptance that you deserve."

Sarno-ize it!

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  00:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a 21; Adios folks.

Some of my favorite excerpts from " THE DIVIDED MIND " :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  07:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I don't know you Tom, I have a hard time believing - based on your numerous postings - that you honeslty answered many of those questions and only got 21 on that test score. But I may be wrong.

I know the test is not 100% scientific, but at least the questions can make one think about these issues during their journaling times.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  08:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

Although I don't know you Tom, I have a hard time believing - based on your numerous postings - that you honeslty answered many of those questions and only got 21 on that test score. But I may be wrong.

I know the test is not 100% scientific, but at least the questions can make one think about these issues during their journaling times.

Sarno-ize it!

Hi Shawn,

In all due respect, you are right, you don't know me, but, only from my posts. I answered the questions honestly, and that's exactly how I am.

For those hanging around this board for support and/or attention, (not aimed at you or anyone in particular), it's difficult for them to fathom the concept that I may be of almost sound body and a sound if differing view point.

I feel good about myself, look forward to the day, will drive from one end of California, from La Jolla to Frisco today, jump on a tennis court for a little exercise, and then sink into a hot-tub with a margarita by sunset.

There's a reason the test you posted has multiple choices, some people have different answers to the questions and different results.

Gotta' go now, jump on the 5 freeway and get through the LA traffic early this Sunday morning, about the only time you can do 90 through LA.

I'll elaborate on my moderate viewpoints later.

Chao Chao,
tt

Go to Top of Page

Sky

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  09:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a 58...but can surely say that 1.5 years ago, before being exposed to The Mindbody Prescription and going through a year and a half of growth and self analysis since, I would've scored much higher...
Go to Top of Page

Gemma_Louise

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  13:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I scored 87. I knew I was a perfectionist, but didn't realise that it was to such an extent!

'The more sensitive you are, the more certain you are to be brutalised, develop scabs, never evolve. Never allow yourself to feel anything, because you always feel too much' - Marlon Brando
Go to Top of Page

NW Julie

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  18:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I scored pretty low as well.....so, am I a perfectionist or not? I think the concept of perfectionism goes well beyond the "if I make a mistake do I beat myself up?" There are subtleties to the notion of failure and success i.e. thinking you should be doing more in the realms of the spiritual and charitable, wondering if you're a good enough mother, on and on... I think the test is a bit simplistic.
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  19:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess its a perfectionistic tendency to want to score high on every test :)
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  19:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed the test is simplisitic, as was previously stated, nevertheless it got you to ask questions about yourself that you amy have not considered before. I have 20 questions that I can now journal about.....

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  19:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ndb

As for myself, I don't think I would agree with that statement as I was actually expecting to score low. I honestly do not see myself as perfectionistic, but my high score would seem to point to another reality.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  20:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was interesting (hey, those things are always kind of fun).

I had a mid-range score, but what was interesting was seeing how I got there. I don't expect anything like perfection of friends or family, expect just a moderate level from co-workers, but set much higher standards for myself.

While I already knew this, it's still good to have a reminder and put my own expectations for myself in perspective.
Go to Top of Page

electraglideman

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  20:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
84, Damn!
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  21:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ndb

As for myself, I don't think I would agree with that statement as I was actually expecting to score low. I honestly do not see myself as perfectionistic, but my high score would seem to point to another reality.

Sarno-ize it!

Not talking about you or anyone in particular, but I think some of us are happy when we see a high score -- I think I was. For me at least, I'm wondering if its because a high score means great!, its not my fault I'm miserable all the time -- I'm a PERFECTIONIST!

Just throwin' a thought out.
Go to Top of Page

Woodchuck

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  05:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://discoveryhealth.queendom.com/perfectionism_abridged_access.html

Scored 44. Maybe it's accurate, but it seems to me it might be better to have a few more questions. 15 is a pretty small number of questions.

Woodchuck
Go to Top of Page

SwissMike

Switzerland
9 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  08:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
72, damn online tests.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  08:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The test is only meant to provide indicators and not final answers. The questions and responce help to point us in a particular direction. Don't concentrate on your score- as that is missing the point- but concentrate on the questions and how you answered them. Journal about your responce to each separate question and seek out possible explanations regarding why you answered the way you did. Some people have actually scored low and yet be the most fanantic perfectionist but because they did not want to admit that about themselves they answered the questions a certain way. It is obovious that one of the flaws of the test is that the questions are leading and also that those who checked off the first choice in the multiple choice questions will score higher. It could be that unconsciously many taking this test picked up on that immediatley and purposely chose the last choice on the question to ensure a low score and then use that to deny their perfectionistic tendencies. This would then be used by the brain to further make one doubt the validity of Dr Sarno says regarding the link between perfectionism and TMS symptoms. The brain is clever indeed.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

momtoone

18 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  12:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I scored 91. I hate being a perfectionist, I really do, but I have trouble letting go.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  15:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was amused by how pleased I was not to be labeled an extreme perfectionist -- perfectionism about not being a perfectionist, how ironic. I've mellowed a bit recently, I guess.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Gecco

9 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  20:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the test is totally subjective and the questions are difficult to answer honestly. Extreme results may provide an indication that further research is neccessary

don't take these 15 question online tests seriously
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  20:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gecco

the test is totally subjective and the questions are difficult to answer honestly. Extreme results may provide an indication that further research is neccessary

don't take these 15 question online tests seriously

Gecco, please read my earlier comments regarding the test. It is meant to be used as a tool to think about these issues and not as a definitive answer to your personality type. Academic eggheads hung up on methodology questions are the worst kind of perfectionists. Sigh.

Sarno-ize it!

Edited by - shawnsmith on 05/27/2007 06:22:13
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  01:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn,

When do we get to take the "Are You a Goodist?" on-line test? I can hardly wait. I am practicing acts of non-goodism daily in anxious preparation.

Regards,
tt

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000