TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Psychotherapist Hunt Adventure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnO

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  12:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are more than 30 psychotherapists in my phone book and I must have talked to them all. Not one has heard of Sarno although almost all professed to espouse mind body connection theories. Some even sounded like they had read Sarno’s books and were quite convincing. How could they be seemingly so knowledgeable and not have heard of Sarno? I don’t get it. I guess I’ll go with the one that seems the most compatible. Was there someone else before Sarno that this all evolved from. I know Sarno references Freud a lot in his books. Maybe that……….

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  00:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read a few older books that have mentioned psychomatic symptoms, mainly books that deal with the inner child. One was very specific about connecting physical symptoms to repressed emotions, though the others made more generalized references to this idea. There seems to have been some realization that our repressed feelings can cause physical symptoms for quite a while among some doctors in the psychiatric field, but my impression is that it was ignored so much by the medical doctors that it hasn't received as much focus from mental health professionals as it might have if they'd had more support from the rest of the medical field. We all want to be accepted, and when our ideas aren't popular many of us are less inclined to speak up about them, including doctors. That's just my impression, and I could be wrong. But I'd be comfortable trying a therapist who isn't familiar with Dr. Sarno, but does believe in the mind-body connection.

Hope you find someone who works out well for you. Let us know how things go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000