TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Scott Brady Video
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  20:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.forestlakechurch.org/news/news.asp?mode=details&newsid=30

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  20:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is AWESOME, 2Scoops! Thank you for sharing it! Just what I needed!
Hugs and God bless you,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  07:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome. Have ya read his book?
That video was long, but I think it's very informative and helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  07:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After seeing his video not only do I want to read his book, but I would LOVE to see him and Dr. Sarno in person one day! I think that he took what Dr. Sarno taught to another level and it was extremely helpful to me, especially at this time in my life...

I loved his use of visuals, somehow it helps to allow these important concepts in deeper...I would urge ANYONE (Christian or Atheist) to watch this important video! He is not trying to convert anyone at all, even though he does mention a spiritual component in our pain...And I think if you can just have the patience to view the entire presentation, you will reap benefits...He is an intelligent and open minded M.D., just like Dr. Sarno...And, of course, he credits Dr. Sarno for all he has learned from spending time with him! He coins the term "Autonomic Overload Syndrome.." It really is another name for TMS..but does help me to understand what we all go through even better!
THANK YOU 2SCOOPS! I watched the video last night and journalled, instead of taking an advil!
Hugs and God bless,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  09:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Singer, your welcome. It is a good reminder to focus on the psychlogical. Plus good topics on what to journal on. Glad you enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was curious, so I ran through most of this video. I thought I'd give a review for any non-Christian folk who might be wondering if this is worth viewing if you aren't starting with a Christian perspective (I am neither Christian nor theist or any sort).

Basically if you are a non-Christian I'd consider watching this if you meet some combination of the following criteria:

1) haven't read sarno yet and are looking for a cheap (aka free) quick intro to similar ideas
2) don't mind religion in moderation (if it really irks you even in small fairly moderate doses, just don't watch)
3) are looking for a real visible person who has recovered with sarno type methods
4) Like graphs and charts
5) Are good at dealing with partial acceptance of theories (you're obviously going to have to reject part of this version of the theory)

Basically I didn't find religion to be too big a part of this video. He pretty much describes good spiritual health as a "buffer system" in the AOS (pretty much TMS) syndrome. If you want to skip irrelevant parts:

0:00-6:30 Intro...I just find all intros boring anyway
37:00 to 40:50 The only really explicit religion/spirituality section
42:00 to 49:00 Break and questions
1:15 to 1:16 The Prayer part of the "Prayer and Meditation" section
1:19 and on...questions.

The rest is more or less Sarnoesque and probably a fair intro.

This guy talks about back pain a lot and discusses the autonomic nervous system in pretty simple terms. He lays out 5 steps to recovery:

Steps:

1. Make Mind Body Connection
2. Take control over subconscious mind using imagination and pain talk
3. Depth Journaling (15-20 minutes a day) Includes some questions you can ask yourself to get started
4. Prayer and Meditation
5. Resume physical activity

He focuses on perfectionists and people pleasers as the main sufferers.

So, I'm not hopping out to buy the book or anything, but I would have watched this with some interest a few months back.

Btw, if you want to argue about religion and TMS, please read this whole thread first--because we've been there before:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2883&SearchTerms=scott,brady

Edited by - alexis on 03/30/2007 13:41:15
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well put, Alexis...You summed it up nicely...But I still think many would find value just watching it through..especially the visual types like myself...The graphs and charts were more effective then the ones used in Dr. Sarno's videotapes, in my opinion...Although I have been studying TMS theories for years, I still get value from repetition and hearing other doctor's spin on it...:)

You also made a great suggestion to try to stop a potential war on religion on here...lol...that is all we need! :))
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree. It's a well put together presentation and good for those with a liking for graphics.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  18:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing to keep in mind as far as the "religion" connection is that spirituality is not synonymous with religion. (I know Brady is into both.) I had an interesting discussion with my mom recently (both of us now recovered from TMS pain -- woo!) about being in a seeking state, a state of looking for new thoughts, solutions, ideas, patterns. She said that a meditation teacher she works with calls this "seeking" the spiritual aspect of our lives. I agree with this, even though it has little in common with most religions. I think that this is also, to some extent, way that we can work our minds to free us from perfectionistic modes of thought. Because we are open to new things and we are seeking, we acknowledge that we don't have to Have It All Sorted Out Right Now.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  21:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the summation of Brady, Alexis. Actually, I read the Brady book several months ago and really enjoyed it. Very readable intro to Sarno ideas for beginners. I intend to read it again just to reinforce the ideas.

As for the religious emphasis in the book, I don't remember much. If there had been I probably would have tossed it aside. As long as we're on the topic of religion, I highly recommend a new book called, "The God Delusion" by biologist, Richard Dawkins.
Go to Top of Page

allen_non

55 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  08:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Wrldtrv,
In your opinion, other than being a good intro to Sarno ideas, is there anything in it that's not already in Mind Body Connection, TDM, or the Fred Amir book? I watched the Brady video from the church website & liked his coining of AOS. I can really relate to the autonomic overload concept, since I tend to feel overloaded mentally when symptoms pop up.

I certainly don't mind paying $16 for his book if he has a new way of conveying and finding a new pathway into my brain, but I don't want to spend time or money to go back over stuff I already know.

Is this book "breaking new ground" or just rewording what many of us already know? I did really like his explanation of journalling in the video, as I never really was into that, but the way he explained it, I might give it a shot.

Anyone else with opinion on Dr. Brady's book please give your opinions too.

Thx,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  20:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen,

Wish I'd just read it, but it was many months ago. All I can say is, I remember being comforted by it. Whether that was because he took a different angle than Sarno or because it simply reinforced Sarno, I don't remember. What I do recall is that he emphasizes more of a holistic approach, eg physical, mental, spiritual, social dimensions, than Sarno.

I would recommend it; in fact, I am going to re-read it.
Go to Top of Page

allen_non

55 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  05:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Wrldtrv,
When you mention that you remember "being comforted" by the Brady book, did it help with your shoulder issues? That's the main thing I'm working on right now, and what gives me the most fear (of re-injury).

I still have some lower back pain from last year, but it doesn't generate any fear at this point, as I know I didn't do anything to it. MRI showed DDD but at a different location from where symptoms were occuring, so the TMS overplayed its hand there.

Shoulder pain, hence injury, is more believeable to me because of my history in that joint. Although since I've re-started my TMS thinking, it has backed off a bit.

Have you or anyone else here used the Brady lecture videos as well, thoughts, comments?

Thanks,
Allen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000