TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 confused over souce of pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dominator22

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had a long history of back pain that started in my early 20s. I'm now 43. I had always attributed my pain to weightlifting injuries, until about 10 years ago I read Sarno's "Healing Back Pain" and was able to finally make the connection between my mind and back. I've always been very shy, very concientious and hardworking. I also repress my emotions, so as not to offend anyone. So I have most of the tell-tale signs of TMS.
I went through about 8 years of mostly pain-free living with occasional flareups until two years ago when I had severe sciatia (pain in right hip and numbness down leg) before the birth of our first child.It lasted a couple of months at which time I saw a neuroligist who diagnosed a herniated disk and suggested I see a surgeon.
I decided not to and eventually got better, but not completely. There was still stiffness in the back and a fear that my herniated disk was the cause. Anyway, the last three weeks I've had another bout with severe sciatia and it's not getting any better. I have tried to return to a normal routine (weightlifting and aerobics don't seem to make it any better or worse), but only see occasional reductions in the pain.
My question is how do I know that my pain is due to TMS and not something else.

Edited by - dominator22 on 03/29/2007 11:41:12

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  13:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!
I saw Dr. Sarno's videotapes and they were wonderful..He speaks extensively about how herniated discs are rarely, if ever, the cause of any pain..In fact, he goes on to say that most people over a certain age (I cannot recal the exact number) have herniated discs as just part of the aging process! So since your pain went away in the past, I would try and do the reading and journalling (I should take my own advice!)..and see if it doesn't go away again...
Best wishes and God bless,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  13:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, You might find it useful to read through some of the past threads here to get a sense of how your experience with sciatica compares to that of others here. And here's a link to an article about how surgery often doesn't benefit patients with sciatica: http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2820

It could also be helpful to read Dr. Sarno's latest book, The Divided Mind. There is a nice sampling of what it has to say on this thread: http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

Give some thought to what has been going on emotionally that could have caused this new episode. Even a minor psychological event can trigger underlying feelings and lead to a new episode of pain. If you can relate this pain to any psychological changes, that can be a good indication that it's TMS, rather than a physical problem.

Best wishes!
Go to Top of Page

dominator22

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  23:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure the cause of my sciatia is TMS and exercising doesn't seem to make it any worse.It's about the only way I know to relieve tension and I love doing it.
Do you think I am doing anymore harm to myself by continuing to work out?

Edited by - dominator22 on 03/29/2007 23:01:49
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  08:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the first bout of sciatica accompanied a very emotionally trying event (the birth of your first child) it is likely this latest event is also psychogenic.

It is important to understand that it is the repressed, irrational, "forbidden" emotions that cause psychogenic pain. You may have been thrilled about the birth of your child and looking forward to it. At the same time you were terrified on the inside, having doubts about whether or not you would be a good father, resenting the additional responsibility you would soon be burdened with, etc.

Look for something going on in your life right now that is affecting you more deeply than you realize -- something you are unknowingly avoiding. Then face it head on.

By all means, continue to work out. It is important to continue physical activity despite the pain. Convince yourself that the pain is psychogenic and physical activity will not make it worse. If it does, laugh it off, and "tell your brain" you are on to its trick and you're not going to fall for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000