TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Gum deterioration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alpha

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  16:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,
after having pain, tension and dysfunction all over my body for the last 6 years, i could convince myself lately, that it has to be TMS and i did very much work on my emotions.
Now i have a new/old problem, which is getting worse and worse. My teeth was always sensitive and my gum was going back on my lower front teeth, but nothing too bad. Now, my gums are very sensitve and irritated everywhere, its going back everywhere and get loose. I also have the impression, that my teeths are loosening. Its ****ing scary and came out of nowhere, but it is not just pain or nubness, i can SEE how my gums start to vanish.
I was always VERY hypochrondic and afraid, because after a tramatic lung accident (one year later my odysee for healing, because of mysterios illnesses and pains began) i got the feeling, that i have no control over my health. Nowadays i got a sense of controll back, because i understand, that all my pains and dysfunction, where due to tms. Now i am ****ing afraid again, because my gums and tooth get worse everyday, regardless of brushing my teeth 2-3 times a day and visiting the dentist. I am really afraid that my teeth fall out.
I even think that it is tms, because i can think for no other reason, because i live so ****ing healthy, but i have created the idea, that my tms is so severe, that it actually is able to damage my body, because my gums don not just FEEL inflammed, they are.
My only other idea would be, that it is all due to tms induced teeth pressing, because i often notice in a semi dream state how i press my teeth on each other ****ing strongly in my sleep.

Is there anybody else who had/has problems like this due to tms? Is Tms able to damage my body? How can i stop this damn fear, that my body is falling apart? I hate it, i am so upset, because i do everything for my health, but it still seems as if i have no control over my body.

-----
As you think, so shall you become. - Bruce Lee

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  18:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alpha,

Take a look at your signature: 'As you think, so shall you become'. Those are not empty words!

Of course take an opinion from a dentist to check that there is nothing seriously wrong. What does the dentist say about your fears when you visit him?

I certainly can imagine that what you are seeing to your gums could be due to TMS. I went through TMJ symptoms at some point. It was *extremely painful*, I got teribble headaches, and my eyesight deteriorated to the point where I had to get eyeglasses! Now, nothing, I am back to normal. Your mind can certainly cause observable changes. I used to have very stiff/tight legs, and I could *see* that my thighs had become 'lumpy' i.e., they looked like 3 bands of separated flesh...I don't know how to describe it. Just that it was weird, observable, and turned out to be TMS.

Now I know nothing much about physiology, but I could imagine that restricting the blood flow to your gums could cause them to tighten, and look like they are receding or something.

Get it checked out to allay your fears, and then STOP BEING AFRAID AND OBSESSING.

As i'm sure you can see from reading your own post again, your symptoms are consuming your thoughts -- this is the DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC of a TMS symptom. Please try to focus immediately on your emotions and frustration (like you mention your feeling of not having control) when you find yourself worrying about the symptom. Use the symptom as a trigger to start thinking about EMOTIONS.

be well,
ndb

Edited by - ndb on 03/28/2007 18:25:32
Go to Top of Page

Alpha

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  19:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, thanks for your uplifting words, i think you are right, but this is so frightening sometimes!
Whatever, i was visiting the dentist some month ago, and he was saying, that my gums are very recided for my age and inflammed. He made me even more afraid, because i doesn't say "everything is fine!" like i am used to with my problems. But I know that doctors are not aware of tms, so i don't know if i should go to a dentist, because i am afraid, he just confirms me in my fears and says i have paradontitis or some gum disease and it will got even harder to fight the tms.

The frightening fact is really that the gum starts to get less and lose on some teeth, so that i am afraid of even brushing it, BUT I KNOW, i should stop thinking about the physiology!
But its so hard to get not obsessed and follow the wise words of bruce lee in my signiture, when you develop a new symptom... its always ****ing scary again.

-----
As you think, so shall you become. - Bruce Lee
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  21:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alpha

Whatever, i was visiting the dentist some month ago, and he was saying, that my gums are very recided for my age and inflammed.

Yeah, in the past, I too have found things scary. Especially the feeling of 'NOONE knows what is REALLY wrong, and I don't know how to control it.' I have learned to tell myself that doctors are far from perfect, and many times are only telling us what they observe (receded gums, worn down teeth, herniated discs etc.) and hypothesising that this is the cause for pain, when they actually don't know for sure. So in that sense life cannot run like a perfect machine. We have to use our best judgement to evaluate what is going on in our own bodies. I think what has happened is that there is a such a culture of fear that we are afraid to trust our healing power and beleive that our bodies are strong and little aches and pain mostly don't lead to terrible things. When I was going through my TMJ, my dentists said that I had heavy wear on my teeth. He suggested I wear a guard, but I really didn't feel the need for it. Once I realized my jaw pain was really coming from my mind and I definitely was not worried about my teeth being worn out. How can we say we have lived if at the end of your life your teeth aren't worn out a bit?!

Keep updating us on how you are dealing with the symptoms. It always helps to talk it out here.

ndb

Edited by - ndb on 03/28/2007 21:52:35
Go to Top of Page

phyllis

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  23:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa here!

It sounds to me as if you have given in to almost total obsession.

You have to put your mind on to something else.

Try and find things to do to take your mind off it all. When I was becoming very inward looking, I used to get up in the morning and make a small list of things I would do that day, starting with the most important.

It really worked and I soon started to feel better.

As another answer to your post said 'try to stop obsessing'. Obsession is very very destructive. Make sure you have nothing serious wrong and get on with doing something!!!!
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, my dentist has been telling me I have receding gums for YEARS, and yes, I too heard how young I was to have this. She had scared me when she said she wants me to get the cutting and pasting procedure (don't recall its name) and I said NO. Too much money and too much pain and it can come right back. Forget it. So it's been years, I still hear "you need" . . . and sometimes "you REALLY need" and I say uh-huh, please clean my teeth and check for cavities, thank you.
In reading Mind/Body Health--The Effects of Attitudes, Emotions and Relationships, I was happy to see that emotions are believed to be (at least partly) responsible for mouth/teeth problems because the saliva becomes [whatever] and bacteria levels increase or decrease. So it is considered salivary changes during stress.
I was relieved to read that how I feel can cause/heal my "receding gums" and I don't plan at this point to have surgeries. My teeth are not loosening though my gums have receded a bit.
-Lori
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  16:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good story Lori. The bacteria theory is very believable.

ndb
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  00:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "cutting and pasting" procedure (Lori) is gum grafts. As an aside (not to tell you anything about your issue, Alpha), I had the gum grafting procedure done about 20 years ago. My gums were not bad at all, but enough to justify the insurance paying for it. Yes, the post-surgery recovery was very painful, but to this day every time I visit a dentist they always tell me what great-looking grafts I had. Excellent work, they say.

I later discovered my gum problem was not brushing/flossing correctly. Nowadays when I go to the dentist they compliment me on the superb job I'm doing with my teeth.

Re: TMJ: I had a mild case of that too about 10 yrs ago. Definitely stress-related.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000