TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Okay, probably new TMS site in foot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dwinsor52

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  16:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been pain free for 3 years. A few weeks ago, I stood up when my foot was asleep and when I tried to walk my foot was way bent from the toes to the middle of the foot. It was a very big OWWWWWW and then part of the foot turned purple. The bruise went away and there was no swelling. My foot has hurt a bit for the last few weeks, but the last few days it REALLY hurts. So in my fear-based thinking, I am wondering if I broke something, or tore something. Is there something I should do? I really don't want to go get an xray because I think it is TMS, it doesn't look hurt, and I don't want to feed the fear. I should ALSO say that there are some good reasons right now for TMS to find a weak spot and try to distract me from some painful feelings. Also, I am going skiing next weekend and might have fear about the ski boot.
Thanks!

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  16:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, the symptom imperative which Sr. Sarno talked about. I am feeling better now and presto, the toothache starts. And suprise, suprise, it is the one I had a root canal on three years ago! It is almost laughable if it did not hurt so much.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

dwinsor52

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  06:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean. I was just reading in the Divided Mind about how a physical incident can serve as a trigger for the psychosomatic process. So I was able to see what is going on. I bent my foot, it hurt, it was better, but it served as a new trigger at a time that I am having some emotional distress. Therefore, I don't have to think about what I am angry about - I just worry about the foot! The brain is SO amazing. It's almost like a separate being with a secret plan to get one confused!
Go to Top of Page

Curiosity18

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also had the same experience. Not long after I got rid of the restless leg issue, my foot flared up at the site of an old injury. At the same time I was helping to care for a friend who was recovering from extensive foot surgery. Not only does the symptom imperative apply to me, but also, (as I hate to admit) major suggestibility. One would hope that as a psychotherapist, I would be more mindful of this process as it is happening. But no! After I discussed my foot problem with a TMS physician, he proclaimed it as a case of "symptom imperative", and it promptly disappeared. I hope you have a great ski trip!

Curiosity
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity18

Not only does the symptom imperative apply to me, but also, (as I hate to admit) major suggestibility.

Suggestibility is quite powerful, and somehow I think the medical establishment realizes this. All these pain ailments and their supposed remedies are broadcast all over the place and we are subconsciously taking this all in. I find myself having to actually utter the words "bull-sh---t" just to ward of the impact of suggestibility of these ads for fear I will get sucked into them.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

dwinsor52

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  13:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My foot pain turned into full TMS mode after no pain for several years. I am having fear! Specically about the fact that I went back on antidepressants for anxiety about 2 months ago. Well, when I first went on this same antidepressant a few years ago, I had increased pain for about 3 months and then it went away. So even though it went away for A FULL YEAR while I was on the antidepressant, now all I can do is read the parts of Sarno's books that talk about how, for some people, their pain returns when emotional symptoms subside. So what I need reassurance about is that it is okay to take the antidepressant and probably other factors are causing the pain - specifically the foot pain as a trigger. Help!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000