TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Ongoing knee problem. Snapping sensation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Inferno

15 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  12:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

It has been sometime since I've posted to this forum in an endeavor to apply Sarno's techniques to my knee pain. My pain has been present for over a year despite my attempts to get better. Having been active all my life, I now find that I no longer workout or do any sports. I am in chronic pain that varies in intensity. I fit Sarno's profile to a T (the poster child). I've been to a leading orthopedist who took an MRI that showed (possibly) two very small tears in both my lateral and medial miniscus, as well as a thickening of my IT band, and some other tendonitis. All of this started after one workout in the gym...three days later terrible pain.

Even my Dr., was not sure what the problem was. I was prescribed painkillers and that's about it.

My biggest hurdle in accepting the TMS diagnosis for this is a rather annoying "snapping", that occures frequently when I move my knee a certain way (mostly walking). While the snapping itself does not particularly hurt, it is driving me crazy and feels weird. I did not have this "snapping" prior to my pain. I guess my overiding question is: Has anyone ever had a "snapping" sensation with TMS that resolved when cured? My active imagination imagines the miniscus tearing more, or the tendons snapping across each other....basically more damage being done. Can TMS somehow "alter" the muscles, tendons, etc... to cause such a sensation?

Thanks in advance for any help!

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  14:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snapping is usually just the popping of synovial fluid bubbles in the joint, and completely harmless. I used to get a lot of popping in my knees, where I also had periodic pain. I get snapping sometimes still, but not pain. They're unrelated -- it's just the gremlin playing tricks on you. Good luck with your TMS journey!

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  16:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of experience with this subject...I had a "locking knee" during my teen years that locked up if knelt upon. This was also just prior to the time when my back pain began. I tore my right meniscus TWICE during my martial arts career. Both times I was able to rehabilitate the injury myself, despite the protests from orthopedists. I never had popping, but did have a grinding sensation coupled with pain during some points in my 20's. Basically, my knees were a source of trouble, but nothing compared to my horrific back pain.

Well, after ending my back pain (and not coincidently some other psychosomatic symptoms including stomach sensitivity and wrist pain) my knees have been rock solid. I am training now harder than ever without any pain. In fact, I have never felt better than the last few years of my life. I can personally attest to the knee as a target for TMS pain and another site often misdiagnosed as a physical defect behind the symptoms. I hope you can get past it and I have confidence that with time and continued efforts, you can. My best to you, Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG
Go to Top of Page

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  17:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My knee is a source of TMS pain when I have it on the run and it leaves my back for bit - usually goes right to my knee and is PAINFUL. Strange since 99% of the time it's completely pain-free eh? ;) My knee makes a TON of noise and I can snap that bad boy like you wouldn't believe. You'd think it snapped it in half it's so loud. As stated, noise and pain have nothing to do with each other. The good doctor even made that exact statement when I visited him in NYC.

Me: "Wow - did you hear my back just crack?"
Sarno: "Yes but that doesn't matter at all (with a smile)"

So there - :)
Go to Top of Page

Inferno

15 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  17:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ACLinguist, Karma, and Sensei!

To Sensei, I guess it's nice to know that someone else has torn Miniscus and still gets by. I have another friend that tore his and he does not seem to have knee pain.

My snapping, like yours Karma, is so loud that you can hear it across the room. Sometimes, when it's really going, you can hear it on every step I take.

The whole problem with the "snapping" noise and sensation, is that it brings my attention back to my knee. As if the pain were not enough, the snapping tends to remind me that something is not right. I will endeavor to try and ignore it. Unfortunately, I've fallen in the trap where I am afraid to work it out and really test it. As Sarno says, you will not be free of pain until you resume total unrestricted activity. Unfortunately, I'm a wimp and am slow at getting to it. Perhaps, when I do get back to unrestricted activity, both the pain and the noises will stop.

Thanks so much, your responses mean alot to me.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  19:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "snapping" is the tight IT Band, NOT your meniscus tearing as you feared. Not a big deal. I know IT Band Syndrome can be viewed as TMS...well maybe, maybe not. I had it chronically many years ago, but it no longer bothers me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000