TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Example of being out of touch with one's feelings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  06:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I met a friend of mine last night whom I have not seen for several weeks. I asked him how he was doing and he responded that he has been experiencing really bad back pain lately. I never knew him to have back pain before, although he did have some foot pain back some time ago that eventually went away. I then told him that from what I have learned about back pain it has a lot to do with stress and asked him if he had any stress in his life. He responded that there was no stress in his life and that the back pain was due to the cold weather.

Now consider that:

* My friend just go married after living alone for several years and before that he could come and go as he liked with no need to answer to or responcible for no one.
* He had to spend several thousand dollars on new furniture for his new bride as he lived on very little before his marriage. Actually, he did not have any furniture at all even though he has a good paying job.
* He just got news that his wife is expecting.
* They are looking for a larger apartment in which to live.
* By his own admission his own boss is a complete jerk and he was moved to a work location where he does not want to be as it makes his commute much longer.

Yet he is insistent that he has zero stress in his life!!!!!!!

This is a classic example of someone who is not in touch with their true feelings at all and that those feelings are repressed. He will go on with the belief that he has a physical problem (ie pain due to the cold weather) but will never admit that the stresses of a new marriage and being a soon to be parent, as well as the additional financial burden of all this, have nothing to do with.

To a certain extent we all do this. People who know us are many times in touch with our feelings better than we are ourselves. I just have watch with amazement and wonder how much I do this to myself yet others can see exactly what it taking place.

Sarno-ize it!

Edited by - shawnsmith on 03/19/2007 13:12:44

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  08:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great example.

One of the most important things about treating your TMS is to be honest with yourself. Clearly your friend is in denial.
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  12:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, maybe you can slip him a Holmes-Rahe stress test. That may be eye-opening.

I'm really getting sick of how our culture prides itself on bottling up our feelings and carrying on like everything is fine.

ss
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000