TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 how to resume activity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jvalentine18

4 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  18:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My physical pain is intensified 10x when I run (probably because i believed it was a running-injury and i was running in excruciating pain when it first hit me). I love running because it takes my mind off of all the negativity in my life, but now I'm fearful to start running again because of two reasons: 1. i still fear the physical pain, somewhat. 2. I think running may add more stress to my life, at times, because of perfectionistic tendencies

Should i just run until i feel like i am going to be paralyzed by pain (which i have done before) and try to run through it? Any suggestions on alternative ways to face my fear would be appreciated.

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  20:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Healing back Pain, Sarno is pretty clear about not returning to excercise too soon in your recovery, for the fact that it might cause the person who hasn't had enought time to allow the information to sink in more fear than necessary.
It really all depends on how much of the first two of the big 3 R's you've allowed to sink in (Refute the diagnoses, Recondition your mind, Return to activity)
I am a twitchy little F**K so I of course read the book and immediately went out and did everything....
It didn't set me back really, but I wasn't a runner. I remember walking around the track at the park and having the sciatica course down both legs. I was really frustrated because I believed the book wholeheartedly and wasn't any better (36 hours later after a year and a half as a cripple)
I realized that I never walked until I got into the 'PT' portion of my post-failed-surgery routine. I immediately sprinted across the park (about 1/2 mile) and was frustrated that I wasn't any better.
Than I laughed out loud....I also wasn't any worse. The doctors had warned me I could risk paralysis if I even jogged. That cheered me up.
Than I went home and re-read the book (again and again and again,always taking notes and scribbling in the margins)
Before my pain episodes I mostly lifted weights, rode bikes, skateboarded and played Baseball....so
after a few more days I hit the batting cages and began to lift weights...not the 'careful' way they taught me in PT, but the 'reckless' way I had learned in the Yards of a county run 'daycare' center I spent some of my young adulthood inside of.
I was hitting 80mph fastballs painfree in about 3 weeks.

Also...remember the physiological aspect....My left leg had atrophied horribly during my year out...it took about 6 months before it finally 'caught up' with the other one...all that Ischemia had done a number on me and I looked like foghorn Leghorn.

Remember; Fear makes a good counselour, but a horrible jailer.

Fear is like fire...you can cook over it, but if it gets out of control it can burn down your house.

action kills fear...however, the actions you need to take at different phases of your recovery might be different...Your action right now might need to be Head work...it might be reading,and it may be running. There are certain times when you have to face the fear and it is as varied as their are personalities. Only you will know.

hope that helps a little.

I'm 8 years painfree but I do remember being afraid to pick up a newspaper off the ground.

Edited by - Baseball65 on 03/09/2007 20:31:37
Go to Top of Page

Woodchuck

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  22:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baseball65

I'm 8 years painfree but I do remember being afraid to pick up a newspaper off the ground.

Wow, Baseball65! What a great and encouraging story! I am painfree now after following Dr Sarno's methods for a little over a month. Your post is the boost I needed to up my exercise level. Thanks!

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  00:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant, Baseball!

I spent more than 30 years with (among other things) a very "bad" back. The one thing I COULD NOT do was forward bending of any kind. I had a diagnosis with the word "disease' in that would be exacerbated by forward bends, but mostly it was my EXPERIENCE, damnit. I traveled everywhere with devices and pillows.

I still enjoy the pillows, but I have made a point of doing forward bends and heavy lifting and have had barely a twinge for more than a year!

This is so amazing.

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  11:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel that I had to resume activity regardless of the pain, with the full knowledge that I cannot possibly hurt myself unless, of course, I get run over by a MAC truck or bit by a Pit Bull. But sitting around thinking about may pain and feeling sorry for myself was not making me feel any better either. So, although I have not had a resolution of my symptoms to the extent I would like (pefectionism, residual fear), I am not sitting on on my duff doing nothing either. Yes it hurts, but at least I can get on with what I am doing.....At this juncture I know I am a victim of conditioning and I am working through that....

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000