TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 psychiatrist or psychologist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisb89

42 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  07:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a first: after reviewing my MRI my orthopedic surgeon told me that my back pain was psychologically induced (I thought I was going to have to convince him about Sarno, and he thought he was going to convince me even though he claimed to never have heard of Sarno he agreed with what I told him about him). He said there was no way the very slight abnormalities found on my MRI could be causing my pain.

Besides prescribing Xanax (which I'm not sure if I will try to take yet or not) he also agreed to recommend that I see counseling so that it will be covered by my insurance. I'm looking at my plan now and not sure for TMS what kind I want: do I need a psychiatrist or psychologist?

BTW has anyone ever used Xanax? What kind of feeling? Any side effects?

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  08:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, this guy deserves a medal. A surgeon no less. There's hope for this world yet

Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication. If anxiety is a symptom it can be effective for relief. From a TMS perspective it is no different from taking Tylenol for the pain. It could help to get over the hump and clear your mind so you can focus on the recovery process.

However, it is potentially addictive so keep that in mind. I personally see no harm in taking one now and then when you need it, but becoming dependent on a drug is a different story.

As far as therapy is concerned, Dr. Sarno prescribes "old fashioned" Freudian psychoanalysis, not "newfangled" cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). It is important that your therapist agree with the concept that repressed emotion can cause psychogenic symptoms. Psychotherapy by itself is probably not helpful unless this critical connection is made.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  11:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris89,

That's great news and as ususal Dave gives great TMS advice. Where are you located? TMS trained therapists are few and far between. Check the HOME PAGE for links or www.tarpityoga.com for practitioners.

Donald Dubin in Beverly Hills is one of the best known and TMS knowledgeable. I saw him in person and then by phone. He goes to NY and consults with Dr. Sarno. When Dr. Schecter told me to get a hip-replacement, Donald Dubin told me he wasn't so sure.

Getting it covered by your insurance policy is dependent upon who you see for therapy and how it's dx'ed by your MD. Your ortho's office should be able to guide you on the verbiage of the dx so that it can be partialy or mostly covered maybe calling it a significant depression like mine was dx'ed.
Go to Top of Page

chrisb89

42 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  11:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately - no one close to my area is on that webpage.
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  11:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi-- I know this topic has been discussed here before, so try doing a search on "psychotherapy" or "therapist" or other combinations of the word.

I've heard Don Dubin does sessions over the phone, so that could be an option.

You may want to google psychodynamic therapy or psychoanalitical therapists in your area. There is also an association for psychoanalysis (not sure the exact name--American psychoanalitic assn? Can't remember if you're in the US...) that has Dr.s listed on their site. If you have health insurance that includes therapy, you could search drs through their site.

Lots of therapists have their own website, where they describe their techniques, how they are trained, etc., so you can get a feeling for what they're like even before you contact them. For example, the therapist I see had a website that mentioned she was trained in both psychoanalitical and cog-behavioral approaches (though she specializes in the former). She was familiar with a mind-body approach to therapy, and had had experience with patients with chronic pain. She sounded "holistic" and open-minded, so I emailed her and asked if she knew Sarno, and, if not, would be willing to read one of his books. She agreed to that, and said she would be willing to modify/adapt her work to his approach.

It might take a lot of looking to find the right person, so don't be discouraged. It's also ok to try someone out on a temporary basis, to make sure you "click" with one another. No use spending time with someone whose methodology (or attitude) is counterproductive.

best of luck,
ss
Go to Top of Page

Cricketslayer

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  16:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
However, it is potentially addictive so keep that in mind

I certainly think Xanax is a viable option to help "focus," but I tried it many years ago and got hooked pretty quickly. I took me a long time to ween off, so just be careful about upping your dosage and monitoring how much you're taking.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000