TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 i can't accept this as TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jvalentine18

4 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  17:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so heres my story:
THE BODY:
Last year, i began running ( I've always been an exerciser, but not a runner). I increased my mileage from 0 to 21 miles per week over about 2 months. As i increased my mileage, i never stretched. not once. I woke up every morning and ran as soon as i got out of bed. I started to increase my long runs to 9 miles, and ran about 25-30 miles per week, in addition to starting bike riding on the weekends for about 2 hours. i also switched from running on a treadmill to running outside, on one side of the road. One day i was running on my treadmill and my knee started to hurt soooo bad. I was crying in pain, but tried to run through it, telling myself it was TMS. But the pain did not stop. I decided that maybe it was just a regular sports injury of trying too much, too fast. I went to an orthopedist and he said i had iliotibial band syndrome. An MRI was taken, and it showed thickening of the IT band. The pain increased with attempts at running and walking down stairs. I continued to tell myself it was TMS and i was just stressed/angry at myself. But the pain continued, and when i tried to exercise, it got worse. I saw many other doctors and they all told me that my iliotibial band was the tightest they had ever touched. now it is ten months later, and i am still unable to run more than a few miles. It has gotten better with some treatment, but no where near to the point before i injured my leg. My issue is that every time i ignore my knee, and tell myself it is TMS and think about what i am angry about, stressed, etc., it does not get any better. Could this be a regular injury from running?

Woodchuck

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  19:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jvalentine18

... I decided that maybe it was just a regular sports injury of trying too much, too fast. I went to an orthopedist and he said i had iliotibial band syndrome. An MRI was taken, and it showed thickening of the IT band. The pain increased with attempts at running and walking down stairs. I continued to tell myself it was TMS and i was just stressed/angry at myself. But the pain continued, and when i tried to exercise, it got worse. I saw many other doctors and they all told me that my iliotibial band was the tightest they had ever touched. now it is ten months later, and i am still unable to run more than a few miles. It has gotten better with some treatment, but no where near to the point before i injured my leg. My issue is that every time i ignore my knee, and tell myself it is TMS and think about what i am angry about, stressed, etc., it does not get any better. Could this be a regular injury from running?

If you have not done so yet, you might check out Monte Hueftle's website at www.runningpain.com . He is a runner who apparently has overcome his TMS pain issues and he does mention ITBS specifically. If your situation does turn out to be TMS, maybe another runner could give you the boost you need in accepting it as TMS.

Good luck!

Ken
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  22:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is controversial. Sarno lists IT Band Syndrome as TMS and maybe it is in some cases. In my opinion, it could also be a real injury. The history you gave--rapid increase in mileage, running on one side of the road only--are standard reasons for the problem. I had bad IT Band Syndrome many yrs ago when I first started running. It was chronic on/off for a few yrs before disappearing for good. I can certainly provide logical reasons why I no longer have the problem: I build up mileage gradually. I try to balance running on both sides of the road.

The first thing I would do is take a break. Calm down. Don't fret about the problem, how long it's going to last. Eventually it'll be gone (whether TMS or injury). In any case, it's not a serious thing, just a nuisance.
Go to Top of Page

jvalentine18

4 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  04:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your responses. The reason why i think it might be TMS is because i have tried EVERY treatment for it (3 chiros, active release therapy, graston technique, 3 rounds of PT, etc.) and i've had this IT band issue for 10 months now. One of my hips is higher than the other, so i don't know if i can fully accept it as TMS.
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  06:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago, bad back and neck pain stopped me from running for 7 months. These are the other symptoms that plauged me for 20 years:
sciatica, hip pain(mine are also different, because of scoliosis)
shin splints, hamstring and groin muscle pulls, plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, itbs, shoulder and elbow tendonitis. They have all since dissappeared completely, regardless of mileage. Running is an obsession for many people, and it may generate more stress by wanting to compete, go faster, longer, etc. I would also reccomend that you read Monte's site, www.runningpain.com Running injuries may occur, but normally heal up in a week or month, or a little longer for broken bones, etc. but longer than that to me means that your mind is involved.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  06:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by altherunner

Running is an obsession for many people, and it may generate more stress by wanting to compete, go faster, longer, etc.

I think altherunner hit the nail on the head with the above sentence. I always marvelled at those interesting birds who call themselves runners. Getting up at the crack of dawn and running for great distances, inducing themselves with a lots of pain and exhaustion for I don't know what. The whole routine becomes an obsession for many. Like the above quote says inward stress is generated over "wanting to compete, go faster, longer, etc. But it is not just runners who do this, we all do this so some extent and a lot of stress, frustration and anger, many times unconscious, is generated as a result.

Now I don't know a thing about "iliotibial band syndrome" but I do know that many people have recovered from this as a result of folloing TMS treatment strategies. You cannot possibly expect the doctor you visited to tell you that you have TMS because he himself has never heard of TMS. It seems to me that iliotibial band syndrome is all the rage these days, so that makes me suspicious. But any supposed injury that does not get better is a clear indication of TMS because under normal conditions injuries heal while TMS pain continues with no let up.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000