TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New with question. symptoms match diagnosis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamiesue

3 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  10:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just read Dr. Sarno's books. My pain started as low back pain on the right side (which I have had in the past). After a month it switched to pain in my left hip and radiating down the outside of my leg. After a couple of months of just going about life normally I decided to check it out since it wasn't getting any better. Stared with rx strenth nsaid, the pt, then referred to orthopedic dr. MRI results showed severe herniation L4-L5(not the biggest she'd ever seen, but close to it), and bulges above and below.

I opted to try the Cox technique (decompresses disc) and went for 2 months 3-4 times per week. I improved some, regressed when I started lifting my kids again. My friend told me about Dr. Sarno's books so I read them. I definitely fit the personality profile and have anger that I am well aware of.

I also had an epidural steroid injection last week b'c the pain had spread to my foot and my toes were burning. I read the books that same day and the following day.

Dr. Sarno says that tms patients symptoms typically don't coincide with the location of the herniation, but mine does. Is this coincidental or is it possible at least a portion of my pain is related to the herniation? Would this mean that my symptoms are not TMS related but are caused by the herniation?

It is really hard to go about my activities as if everything is normal when you have been told by more than one dr. that if you are not careful you may end up on the sx table!

Any insight will be appreciated.
Jamie

Newmom

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  11:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jamiesue,
Your medical diagnosis means nothing regarding the location of the pain unless you just herniated/bulged the disc very recently. I have exactly the same diagnosis from a medical doctor (top spine surgeon in my area). I have never had pain shooting down my leg/foot, however, when I first sustained my herniation, I had numbness in my left leg & foot and I dragged it for a few weeks. I received a epidural shot and within a few weeks the dragging/numbness was gone.
I opted not to have surgery.

A few weeks later I learned about TMS and made complete sense to me. I still have to tell myself everyday that I have TMS and not a herniated disc that is causing me pain/problems. I wish that the doctors would never of told me that I had a herniated disc. If you have been to several doctors and they have diagnosed you with a herniated disc and they told you that is what's causing your pain, I would be very excited about that. Now accept your diagnosis of a large herniated disc as normal changes in your body and move on with your "TMS treatment."

Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  13:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember, Sarno says the brain is clever enough to "create" symptoms around an anomoly, especially in the back.

60% of us have abnormal backs, and very few people are symtomatic.

Regards,

Beth
Go to Top of Page

jamiesue

3 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  13:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. That is pretty much what I thought, but it helps to hear it reiterated. I just got back from a hike in the woods with my kids and carried my 2yr old up a big hill. I have very minimal pain right now. Whereas yesterday afternoon my pain was significant after I spoke with a dr. who said there is a lot of truth to Dr. Sarno's approach but he would not recommend it b'c he didn't want the liability.
I will be moving forward with identifying repressed emotions.
Thanks again
Jamie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000