TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Stomach Pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  23:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting one. I had assumed this problem was completely physical, but maybe there are some psychosomatic components. Normally, I have a pretty sound stomach; I can eat most anything w/out problem, but two wks ago after dinner with several others in a restaurant I began to have stomach pain that increased over several hours and eventually I was queasy, chilled, and shaking. I assumed it was food poisoning, except that nobody else at the table had any problem. Also, it was only my stomach that was affected, no diarrhea, etc.

After a couple of days I was fine, but probably not 100% because when I would eat a salad it would seem a bit iffy. Well, three days ago I had just gotten out of the gym where I had run, lifted wts, and spent time in the steam room. I hadn't eaten, was probably mildly dehydrated, but decided to eat a grapefruit, but instead of eating just the fruit part, I peeled it like an orange and ate the whole thing. Within less than an hour I could feel that my stomach was not happy and it got worse through the day. Three days later and it is just starting to feel better.

Okay, after two days of stomach ache, and because I'd had the other stomach issue just the week before, my hypochondriacal mind began to consider all the scary possibilities; GERD, ulcer, stomach cancer...
I called a nurse who recommended I take prilosec. When I found out that was mainly for acid reflux, I got worried. Does she think I have GERD? I thought. As far as I know I've never had that problem. But then I remembered my mother died of esophageal cancer and I was again paranoid. Well, maybe the prilosec was to calm the stomach lining that had been irritated by all that grapefruit acid and fiber while dehydrated and hungry.

Meanwhile, it occurred to me that this could be the symptom imperative at work. Precisely because I have never had any significant stomach problems, this would be the perfect choice for the brain. Like back pain, it is considered by most people to be a certifiable "physical" problem. I recalled also that both stomach episodes occurred about the time my shoulder problem (earlier post) had become almost a non-issue (rotator cuff symptoms almost gone) so I may have needed a replacement. Further, I remember that at the dinner where the first episode occurred, I was suppressing strong anger, etc about one of the people at the table.

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  01:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does sound like a TMS sort of thing. Several years ago I was told I had acid reflux and put on medication. Prilosec reduces the production of acid in the stomach. I didn't get much relief from the treatment, so started looking for other ideas. This was quite a while before I discovered Sarno and TMS.

I found a book by Dr. Julian Whitaker, an alternative medicine guru, and he says that it's counterproductive to take acid reducers, because then the stomach just pumps out more acid to make up for the deficit. His recommendation was to use a form of licorice called DGL (tablets) and to take a digestive enzyme tablet that also contains hydrochloric acid before meals. The licorice heals the stomach lining and the enzyme improves digestion of foods that could be irritating. Within days my problem disappeared. Whenever it flared up again I'd just take the supplements for a couple of days and be fine for months or years between the occasional flare-ups. But I haven't used that treatment for quite some time; since way before I learned about TMS, and I think I probably won't ever have to again.

Since what you're experiencing seems like it could actually be TMS, hopefully just becoming aware of that will provide you with relief.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  23:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Littlebird,

That's interesting, what you said about the licorice/enzyme tablet regimen. But after being on prilosec for three days now without much improvement (the pain is gone, but the upset stomach feeling remains), I doubt I have an acid problem. I've never had acid reflux as far as I know.

I get the feeling this new symptom is starting to take control of me the way all my previous symptoms have. It's really humbling how one can go from, one day feeling the picture of health, and the next, sickly. Of course, my imagination runs wild with the possibilities, espec when I've made the mistake of mentioning it to others and they suggest scary diseases, eg gastritis, ulcer, gallbladder...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000