TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 newbie question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

momtoone

18 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  11:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, I am new to this and I am working very hard with the whole Sarno stuff. I found it hard to journal so today I just sat at my computer and began to write about my life, just like it was a book. I really think this may work for me as a starter and then move on to the journaling. I have been off of my pain meds for several days and I am really hurting. I am sure the increase in pain is from the work because I have an increase in anxiety too. My question is does taking something for the pain hurt your recovery or mean that you do not believe this whole heartedly? I feel when the pain gets too bad that it is all I think about. I have done well at distracting it but sometimes I feel like I need something to take the edge off. Any help would be appreciated.

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  13:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Sarno actually has some people continue meds for a while, until they make progress. The key is in how you view the med. If you know it's just a temporary aid until you get far enough in the TMS work to have a decrease in the pain, rather than thinking that the med is the only thing that's ever going to reduce the pain, then it's not likely to hinder your progress. It may be better to gradually reduce the med as you progress, rather than to just stop it suddenly, unless you're on a small dose to begin with.

Best wishes in your TMS efforts.
Go to Top of Page

carbar

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  21:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Everything I remember from reading Sarno suggests that it's acceptable to ween yourself down on pain med. If you take medicine when you feel the pain, of course, it is also a time to consider the mind-body CAUSE of the pain, even as the meds make the pain itself fade.

Welcome to the site. That's a neat approach to just start letting it out about your life. I did something similar when I was first figuring this out. Helped a lot! Also found it helpful to go back and read old diaries and such with a TMS-critical eye. Good luck to you!

Carbar
Go to Top of Page

momtoone

18 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  07:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for the advice. I have fibro so I have constant pain just worse at times. However, I think that taking the meds will just mask the problem. Does anyone know if Sarno sees new patients? thanks
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  09:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Sarno does not see new patients if you live outside of NY or NJ. Remember, he is 82 years old. If you have been diagnosed with fibro then you don't need to see Sarno or any other TMS doctor because fibro is just another name for TMS, albeit it in a very severe manifestation. Dr. Nancy Selfridge's book is a good place for you to start as she HAD fibro (TMS) but not anymore. Look up her name in Amazon. "Freedom from Fibromyalgia" is the title of her book. She used Sarno as a model for recovery from this condition.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  09:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya,
What Dr. Sarno says in his video lectures is that it is okay to temporarily take pain meds to take the edge off, if needed..But, he does not recommend anti inflammatories like advil, for example, because that implies there is something physically wrong..I think he means just regular Tylenol..Hope this helps!
Take care,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

momtoone

18 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  18:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all of your help. I do have the book freedom from fibromylagia and I have read it and been doing the work. I was wondering about a doctor not for diagnosis but I read where he evaluates to see if you need therapy in conjunction. I guess my progress is not what I would like for it to be ( a little slow and I seem to have a lot of new anxiety that I don't like) so I am looking for something a little faster. I guess that is the TMS perfectionist but also I really am sick of this pain HAHA. Thank you to all. BTW I called Sarno's office and they recommended a doctor in Charlotte, I live in NC, that has trained with him. I think this is new as I have not seen this on anyone's website before. Best of health to all
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000