TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 RSI "success-so-far" to "full success"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Woodchuck

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  22:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexis

I wanted to hold off on the really final success verification until I'd been back working full time for a bit. Anyway, complete success. RSI related issues are well down near the bottom of my list of thoughts working back at a computer job 8+ hours a day. I type away with no worries.

Thanks again to all here who shared their stories and offered advice.

That's great news alexis! I'm happy for you. Same here on the being back to doing everything normal and I go days without a thought of the 7 month pain I went through. I'm so glad I ran across Dr. Sarno's books when I did!

Woodchuck
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  12:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, alexis. Glad to hear that all is well.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

bcr

6 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  23:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Alexis,

Your profile indicated that this would be the best place ask you questions, so here I am.

The thing that interests me about your story is that you were apparently able to succeed without 100% faith. For me, this is somewhat of a sticking point. I can't seem to get to that 100% place. I understand the theory and find it extremely compelling. As a budding psychodynamic therapist myself, I've witnessed firsthand the reality and effect of repressed emotions. I've never had a satisfactory structural diagnosis, nor has there ever been a objective finding to explain my RSI symptoms.

That said, doubts linger and I suspect that this keeps me from making progress. I guess I'm interested if my doubts are in line with yours all and -- if so -- how you moved past them or moved past with them.

Anyway, any wisdom you might share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

MikeySama

Netherlands
55 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  10:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alexis,

I have one small question. Like bcr i also suffer from RSI, i shouldn't call it RSI anymore because it's TMS but that aside.

My question is rather simple. How do you deal with relapses? However minor they might be. I'm suffering from a rather hefty relapse, that seems to come and go. For the most part i'm shrugging it off, and have gotten some help from here. But i would just really like to know how you handle it.

Thanks in Advance,
Mike

Edited by - MikeySama on 06/04/2007 10:49:41
Go to Top of Page

bcr

6 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  14:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Alexis,

You make a lot of good points. Frankly, I don't know how anyone could be 100% certain of anything. In my world, a measurable level of doubt exists in every arena. So, I'm always glad to hear that it isn't a prerequisite.

Likewise, progress of any sort would be helpful in instilling confidence. There are days when my hands feel better/stronger and I feel like I'm really onto something. Then, things take a downturn and I interpret it as having stressed my hands, pushed things too hard, etc. It's hard to maintain confidence in these moments.

MikeySama,

If you get a satisfactory answer to this question from anyone, be sure to let me know. This is the issue that continually throws me. I have certain activities that I can engage in without much discomfort (although the degree of stress and duration varies somewhat erratically). Then there are others that seem to just drive my symptoms through the roof (typing/mousing being the most triggering). And of course once my symptoms are triggered everything is a problem (driving/squeezing the shampoo bottle/you name it). I've not yet been able to push through it -- I end up just cutting down activity to nothing and waiting for things to settle down. Maybe pushing through is the answer, but it's hard to do when the pain levels get very high and appear to be accelerating.
Go to Top of Page

MikeySama

Netherlands
55 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  14:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bcr: I do believe pushing through it, is a very important step. When you do that, you tell the mind that you no longer believe it's physical. That you will not make things worse by typing in our case. I try to always push through it, and telling myself that the pain is only caused by emotions etc etc.

Still, i hope alexis can share some insight. Seeing as we share the same symptoms.

Edited by - MikeySama on 06/04/2007 14:54:48
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  18:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is Alexis's thread so I don't want to hijack it, but I also believe that pushing through is often a key step. In fact, it was my first step: to experiment by continuing to work through pain while continually telling myself it was just from the mind, the blood flow could increase, etc. It worked perfectly: over two hours the pain flared up, leveled off, and disappeared. It was a huge first step in believing the Sarno method would work for me and encouraged me to do more.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

DeborahJ

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  23:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the problem is that you can't put your heart into treating this like TMS because you're not sure it isn't a structural problem. Even though you're sick of doctors, it seems you need to find one who can make the positive TMS diagnosis (or not). I have been through something similar myself and as long as that lingering doubt is there, it is tough to get better on your own. For me it was worth a four-hour drive to have a complete examination and review of my situation by a qualified professional. With his diagnosis, resources, and encouragement I was able to get well. I wish you the best...
Go to Top of Page

Rile84

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  01:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alexis, good to know that you're doing fine in spite of what you have had experienced.
Go to Top of Page

Rile84

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  23:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, thank you for sharing your stories guys, it is really inspired me to move along with life :)
Go to Top of Page

Steven McKinnon

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  16:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the story Alexis (and everyone else for their stories and comments). I'm looking forward to reading more success stories before — hopefully — posting my own…

Thanks once again, and here's hoping for continued success and recovery!

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000