TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 any tms therapist in sf bay area?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vnwees

64 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  08:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone know of a therapist who's knowledgeable on tms in s.f bay area? the one medical dr. in my area who claims to do sarno's work doesn't even have a therapist to refer to. he doesn't seem to be full-on sarno, more "how to reduce stress in your life" kind of guy. didn't feel helped or supported by him the few times i've tried him over the years. dr. schechter (sp?) in l.a. sounds good and his therapist will do phone/email appts. but would love to work locally, face to face, if possible. hoping for a connection for "as needed" support. vicki

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  17:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Fatteh sometimes posts to this forum. Seems like a good guy, and TMS advocate. But I don't know him otherwise.

Ralph

San Francisco Bay Area

Parvez Fatteh, MD
24301 Southland Dr, #411
Hayward, CA 94545
http://www.pain-medicine.net
(510) 265-5795

or

Parvez Fatteh, MD
115 Ryan Industrial Ct. #208
San Ramon, CA 94583
http://www.pain-medicine.net
(925) 552-6363

Santa Cruz

Bruce Eisendorf, MD
2025 Soquel Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
http://www.scruzmedical.com
(831) 458-5524
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  17:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw-Oh,

I just clicked on his link and it no longer works, so I don't know if he's still in the area. Try the phone numbers.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  20:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did look this up at one point when I was considering therapy and I will try to remember to post it tomorrow when I'm at work where the info is.

The Creative Growth Center in Berkeley (http://creativegrowth.com/) might also have an appropriate orientation since they do inner-child work. An essay on their site (http://creativegrowth.com/teresa.htm) was really helpful to me.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  06:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm from Norcal and in this vortex of new-age thinking/drinking, I've never heard of one and no docs or shrinks are the least bit interested either--too busy doing the peacock feather thing.

If Dr. Fatteh nor Dr. Eisendorf can't refer you to one,
then I don't know who could.

In THE DIVIDED MIND, on page 297, there is a discussion of psychotherapy and the way to go, it says to use INSIGHT BASED psychotherapy versus the cognitive approach.

I will try to do some direct quotes in my "TMS in a Nutshell" thread but that's it in a nutshell. If you can find one please let us know. It is amazing that there isn't one--maybe they are in hideing from their fellow practitioners for fear of the Sarno stigma and it's "all in their head". But you would think they would relish the thought that it's all in their heads--job security for shrinks.

A nice fellow, who doesn't post here, organized a TMS group meeting in the Sunset District last year but no one showed up accept for he and me. It was a great meeting none the less, but I am biased. Haven't heard from him since but I thought there was potential--at least the parking was good.

I'm doing my bit for TMS here so I'm not the one to organize it, but I would attend, (perhaps that would drive-off more people than it would attract).

Good Luck,
tt from Jefferson City, Missouri
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  11:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know where I found this info, but here are the two I found:

Renik Owen MD
388 Market St
San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 989-3579

Saturansky Carol PhD
2225 Union St
San Francisco, CA 94123
(415) 441-5485

I was looking in SF/Peninsula, not the East Bay, so I might not have written down all of the ones I found.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  17:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

A nice fellow, who doesn't post here, organized a TMS group meeting in the Sunset District last year but no one showed up accept for he and me. It was a great meeting none the less, but I am biased. Haven't heard from him since but I thought there was potential--at least the parking was good.

I was wondering about how that group meeting went and wanted to attend but it was just too far away for me. I was hoping it would have produced a better turnout.

It's astonishing how ignorant both the medical and psychological communities are wrt psychosomatic medicine. I've had to teach the psychologists about TMS instead of the other way around. How rediculous it that considering they are the ones with the education!

Fortunately while there is ignorance in the psychologists there isn't so much resistance to believing in Dr Sarno's teachings, at least from those i've encountered, and i've found that therapists can be helpful even though they might not be so TMS educated.

The most important thing is to find a therapist who is open to the theory and understands how to provide an environment of safety and validation so emotions can be encouraged and supported.
Go to Top of Page

vnwees

64 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  18:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Thanks so much for your replies. Dr. Eisendorf in Santa Cruz is the one I was refering to that seemed only semi-Sarno, with no therapist to refer. His office seemed confused that I even asked for one. I've tried him on 3 occasions over the years just to try and have the support established. Tho a nice man, a lot of Sarno was clearly missing.

I've wondered about Dr. Fattah. Will let you know if I try him. Am just anxious to establish the additional support. The last few years have been pretty crazy and I want to feel prepared for whatever's next. A few months ago,I spoke w/Dr Schechter in L.A. and he said if I wanted to make a trip down there he'd schedule a 45 min.-1hr appoint. w/me and take my history, etc. Then I could see the therapist he refers to the same or next day. After that, I could make phone/email appoints. as needed we either/both of them. Never considered anything like that but potentially helpful.

In thinking about the sooth/rage ratio Sarno talks about, I might plan a trip to the wonderful Monastary/Retreat in Santa Barbara, then head to LA for some Sarno-sizing one of these days. Anyone know anything about Dr. Schechter that I should know before I go? Is he an ax murderer or anything? Better start saving my pennies.

Thanks again for your help.

Vicki
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  21:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vicki,

If you do a search of "Dr. Schechter" you will find many mentions of him. I saw him several years ago and he dx'ed my hip as arthritis and not TMS, so you can't say that he's not fair and balanced. His office looks much like any other doctor's office. If he refer's you to a therapist it may be Donald Dubin who is on his tapes and has an office a few blocks away.

I've seen Dr. Eisendorf also and he is more new-agey. They both trained with Dr. Sarno and should be able to dx TMS.

Good Luck,
From Flora, Illinois
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000