TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 first post - introduction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randolph

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  15:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey y'all

From page 161, VITAL LIES, SIMPLE TRUTHS: The Psychology of Self-Deception, by Dr Daniel Goleman

Madness, said Nietzsche, is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups. Freud agreed. In GROUP PSYCHOLOGY AND THE ANALYSIS OF THE EGO, Freud wrote, "A group is impulsive, changeable and irritable." With no little disdain for the ways of the crowd, Freud saw people in groups as regressing to an infantile state as a consequence of membership.

Freud quotes le Bon, a French commentator on crowd psychology, to the effect that when diverse people get together as a group, they have "a sort of collective mind which makes them feel, think, and act in a manner quite different from that in which they would act on their own." A group, said Freud, "is led almost exclusively by the unconscious."

By "group" Freud meant something that bordered on a mob.
End quote.

Your shared schemas that define your group-think, and your shared lacunas that define what you agree to not see are not very much fun. There are better, healthier games in town.

Bye y'all, Randolph

Edited by - Randolph on 01/08/2007 05:41:35

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  20:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Randolph,

I too got some initial small benefit from PT, but it turned out to be a placebo (no lasting relief).

If you see yourself in the Good Doctor's words, and a doctor confirms your condition is not serious, then you might want to try stopping the PT. In some cases the PT can actually hold you back. Psychologically, PT just reinforced the false belief that the pain is caused by a physical manifestation.

The pain is real, the cause is your inner rage.

Enjoy the latest book, TDM, but overall any of the later Sarno books will do.

So tell us, what's going on in your life?

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  07:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the board Randolph. Nice to meet a fellow incessant blabbber. You may have come to the right place. Nothing much being sold here accept Dr. Sarno's books. We don't sell them here actually, you have to go to the book store for 'em.

I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through the Good Doctor's latest update of his theory titled, THE DIVIDED MIND. I've found it highly helpful in elucidating his latest thoughts, but any of his prior works will work just as well.

I'm leaving this morning, (maybe by afternoon more realisticly, after I pack it all up), on a cross-country trip from frisco to Florida. I'm hoping to drive Historic Route 50. Ya' got any tips for me on where to find some good BBQ or biscuits and gravy along there?

Good luck on the TMS stuff, it sounds like you might enjoy Dr. Sarno's ride.

Cheers,
tt

Edited by - tennis tom on 12/26/2006 07:37:18
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  18:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randolph said: I've got a real block on this repressed emotion thing.

Yea, well that's quite common. Its a chicken and egg situation. Since the inner rage is repressed, its hard to see it plainly since it is not in your conscious mind.

Keep in mind that you don't always have to figure out the cause of the rage. In some cases, just understanding that there is a cause and effect relationship between your repressed rage and you pain is enough to stop to cycle of pain. Occassionally in tougher cases you sometimes have to get some help with psychotherapy to address the rage directly.

In any event, what you need to accept is that your mind is causing the pain. The pain is real, but the cause is not physical, its your mind causing the pain as a distraction. Coming to understand that will be a major step forward for you. You will be able to stop all the PT, back braces, meds (except maybe pain killers), doc visits,,, all this baggage that has nothing to do with getting better.

Sarno rocks!

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  22:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randolph said: ...my back really is OK, and I don't have to cower in fear every time the pain comes...

You have hit upon a most important key point.

Fear is TMS's most powerfull ally. It is the fear the TMS uses to keep you down and stop you from discovering the truth. It is the fear that restricts your physical activity and prevents you from getting better.

If you accept the pain, just let it hurt, and you will conquer the fear. Thusly TMS will loose his power and you will win. Since you do not have anything wrong with your body, the pain is benign and will not harm you. The pain will not damage your body, its just a signal in your brain. A brain that has some bad wiring done by TMS.

So you can just let it hurt when it does, do not fight the pain, and the fear will vanish. This is also a key point so here it is again in bold type: Do Not Fight The Pain. Gradually return to normal activity.

The fear and the pain often return later. But you will not let that alarm you or lead you to believe there is really something wrong with your body. This return is expected, so now you know, this is not a step backwards at all. Its just part of the process of unlearning bad habits from years of misinformation about what is truly going on.

Once the fear is gone you will be on your way.

How do I know this? Because I have been there just like you. Most everyone on the forum has been there too.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 12/27/2006 22:20:24
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  00:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph

Wish I could give you some specific places (being a lean and mean veggiehead, I'm not into BBQ or meat-based gravies), but here's some good general advice from years of big rigging (Robert Frost is still right - taking the road less travelled by, makes all the difference): get off the 4 lane roads and stay away from the chains (Waffle House, Bojangles, etc) ... in the morning, look for the mom and pop places with lots of parked pickups with gunracks (nobody's doing the EasyRider thing these days to left coast freaks, if we ever were ... so you're safe) and in the evening, in any small town, chat with any law enforcement type and get recommendations on where to eat (best to get their attention by approaching them first, and not visa versa).

Have a great trip, Tom; US 50's one of my favorite roads ... especially thru Nevada. I swear at night it looks like you can touch the moon ... and that sage smell after a thunderstorm, man, a woman with perfume like that would have me howling like the coyotes out there.

Randolph

Randolph, thanks for the tips. Drove from Carson to Ely today. The scenery is some of the most beautiful on the planet. A sprinkling of snow in the passes. Had a great grilled cheese with extra cripsy crinkle cut fries in Austin, Nevada. Went through the neat looking town of Eureka. I will come back through someday to explore longer. Drove by a brothel that was for sale; had thoughts of making a career change. Reminds me of when the IRS put Joe Conforti in jail for tax evasion and took over his Mustang Ranch. They managed to bankrupt it. The government can't even run a whore house right.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  16:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH BOY, PASS THE POPCORN!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page