TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 encouragement needed from oldtimers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vnwees

64 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  16:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have been essentially back pain free (other than a few flareups)since reading sarno in 1998. am having some back pain today and trying to nip it in the bud. feeling blue and just seeking a bit of support. thanx. vicki

vnwees

64 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  17:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelvin, Thank you so much! I'm a computer idiot, don't get all the in's and out's of the etiquette (sp?) etc. and was just feeling so damn crappy. Your kind words are like a (healthy) tonic for me. I occasionally read the stuff here but find it to be a combination of helpful and not so helpful. It's just that I don't really know anyone in the flesh who does Sarno, so this is my "additional support" when I need it. Whatever words we may use here, anything that helps me, I consider to be support. Call me crazy. Your kind words remind me to keep it simple. I have been doing the "Sarno-sizing" as you've suggested, but sometimes I just need to feel connected to other humans who've walked this path. Over all, much of my life is great and all my TMS and equivilant symptons are pretty much gone or minimal. This flareup has me feeling angry (enraged???) and frustrated (I've worked so hard!!!). The ability to talk about this a bit and be encouraged is such a small but powerful thing. Thank you. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  19:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Anyway, being a veteran you know what to do, re-read Sarno’s books or whichever ones helped you before, do your journaling, talk to you brain and don’t give into the pain. Think psychological and not physical. Don’t expect miracles and just try to get through the day. Tomorrow will be better, or maybe the next day.

Kelvin"
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Vicki,

Kelvin said it well and beat me to my favorite rant. Open up the book and read. It's like reading the Bible, (which I don't do), you get to the end of the year and you start over. As your life goes on, your human condition changes. Your unconscious reservoir of TMS creating anger may have an above average year of rainfall, and refill to spill-over the dam. It would be inpolite in our society to throw a book-end, or a TV at the source of our rage and may result in loss of job, divorce, or incarceration.

Dr. Sarno has a new book out that I feel is his best so far, THE DIVIDED MIND. I recommend buying and reading it for a fresh perspective. For a TMS care package, look up the thread I started, "TMS IN A NUTSHELL", it has excerpts from the book.

Don't let the computer etiquette stuff hold you back--there isn't any, (although this board displays more of it then most I've seen-- a good example of TMS'ers repressing)--let it all hang-out. I didn't know how to use a computer until I discovered the board and neccessity became the mother of invention. If you are concerend about internet etiquette, google that and you will probably find a web site(s) with tips, I found one a long time ago, but no one really cares, manners are dead and who has time to put together a sentence anymore?

More importantly, if you want, tell us what's going on in your human condition that is underlying your current psychogenic flare-up?
If you need some help at that, look up the Holmes-Rahe list of life-pressures that can create TMS dis-ease. I think it's on page 26 of THE MIND BODY PRESCRIPTION.

Welcome Back and Good Luck,
tt
Go to Top of Page

vnwees

64 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  20:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tt- you guys are awesome and your support (dirty word?) is so much appreciated. I was actually sitting here crying my head off and saw your note/response/whatever the heck you call it and feel that there are folks at the other end of this who give a hoot. my back went sort of out...hasn't done it this bad in years...and i have a 12week old 35 lb. english mastiff puppy, archie...who's recovering (i hope)from a leg problem. i have lots of steps to carry him down to potty several times a day. this last time i just burst into tears. it's hard to lift him. i can't straighten up due to the spasming. my husband's out of town. i know this'll pass...probably within a day or so (i hope). my other puppy, chester (130lb. newf)died several weeks ago...just turned 1 yr. old...he had a hereditary knee problem, had surgery, they operated on the wrong leg, he didn't heal, they redid the surgery and the next morning he died. cause unknown. autopsy showed nothing. the year before, my beloved old dog, yogi died. a few months before that my mom died. 18 months before that my dad died. 4 months before that my son committed suicide. so i guess it's safe to say that, despite having a wonderful life in most ways, which i do, i've also been bat-sh_it crazy, too. now i'm worried about archie and his leg problem. WOW! you opened the door but i sure needed to walk thru it!

on a brighter note, i bought the divided mind when it came out several months ago and have been writing and reading and yelling at my brain a lot today. i agree, it's an awesome book. wonderful to hear the many interesting experiences around tms and equivilants. i've had great success with it helping back and other pain, headaches, anxiety and depression. also an unpleasant state of hyperness i'd get into with adreneline coursing thru me, usually at work. that's about 90% gone now, too. amazing stuff. made me wonder if the "chemical imbalances" you hear about are often emotionally based. seems so in my case.

thank you guys, for the encouragement. some days i think there's a god...some days i don't. but someone once said to me "if we were meant to do this alone, we'd each have been given our own planet". thanks again. vicki
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  23:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Vicki, my heart goes out to you. Well, there's the science of TMS. After reading what you've gone through, it should be clear where the back-pain flare-up came from. To say that you have gone through a rough patch would be an understatement.

When Dr. Sarno said that he thinks TMS is a protective device it puzzled me. After reading your story I understand it better. To go through a series of events, as you have, without a psychosmatic distraction would be greatly trying, if not emotionaly unbearable. Perhaps looking upon your back-pain as a protector rather than another plague would be of some help.

Of course the board is a support. Discussing TMS theory and elucidating it so it can be applied to ease or end pain and suffering is part of the support.

Thanks for the quote about doing it alone and separate planets, I like it.

God Bless and keep posting if it helps.
tt
Go to Top of Page

vnwees

64 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  08:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning tt, kelvin, et al. Interesting point about the distraction as protecter, tt. An earlier writing of mine pondered the reservoir of rage. Rather than think of it as an awful place, my idea was to acknowledge, accept and befriend it..know that it serves a useful purpose. A safe place to keep my rage and other intense emotions. For someone who's had difficult life experiences it makes sense to have a reservoir of rage and a safe place to keep it. I picture my r of r as being the size of Crater Lake (Oregon). Huge and very deep. It sometimes has water just pouring and pouring into it...sometimes from all directions. Sometimes it's gushing in, like when huge volumes of water are released from a damn. Then I reassure myself that it's not only good I have it, but normal, too. And helpful...serves a purpose. My back is no worse this morning and perhaps a bit better. I feel so much more positive (this will pass) and less fearful (this will NEVER pass)and i know the words from you who responded have helped. Also, just that people understand and care enough to take a few minutes to help a fellow sufferer. That human-ness helps to show me more of the world I want to live in. Not the crazy, terrifying place I came from. I have difficulty with not seeing faces and hearing tones of voice when on the computer like this. In the past I've made comments that I see could be misinturpreted after re-reading later. How do people stay clear on what's being said and not be misunderstood? I don't get it. But, even so, I've been helped as a result of 2 peoples kindness. Muchos Gracias. Vicki
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000