TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Shoulder Symptoms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  23:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because I have had off/on shoulder symptoms (usually considered rotator cuff tear) for 6 mo, I used the "search" function and went back and read related posts. Something that Dave said to Elsie8 in regard to her shoulder pain was interesting. She had been talking about believing it was TMS, but wanting to get physical therapy, just in case. Dave logically pointed out that this was a contradiction. Better to forget about TMS in regard to her shoulder and do the PT thing 100%.

I'm at a similar crossroads with my shoulder problem. This has been going on 6 mo and has been pretty mild most of the time, but just never gets 100% better. It seems weaker that the other shoulder and it easily flares up after lifting wts, or this past week after shoveling lots of snow. While not at all painful most of the time, it will occasionally pop or I will feel a sharp pain, say, when putting my shirt on.

I had the identical problem 2-3 yrs ago, and it too took a long time to heal, but maybe not this long. Then, I went to PT. Then, it finally healed up 100% and I was able to do anything.

This time around I didn't even consider going to the doctor or getting PT until a few days ago at the latest flareup. All along I considered this probable TMS, but even if not, I doubted PT would offer anything I couldn't do on my own. Afterall, I already know the exercises they will prescribe, the stretches; in fact, I have been doing some of these all along. The only thing the PT would offer that I can't easily do is massaging and physically moving my shoulder through its complete range of motion. Also some (placebo?) ultrasound and TENS...

Regarding my shoulder, I seem to have moved from considering it TMS to a physical injury. Unless someone has anything to say that might dissuade me, I intend to follow Dave's advice and go ahead with the PT, forgetting TMS for this particular problem. I reason that it can't do any harm and might do some good.

Okay, that settled, I'm reminded of related curious shoulder stories. My brother had a MRI dx'd rototor cuff tear a couple of yrs ago and did nothing. Eventually, it disappeared completely and he was back to bench pressing his usual 300-350 lbs w/out problem.
Another case: I just ran into a nurse I know the other day. She had rotator cuff surgery several months ago and now has frozen shoulder. She's getting ready to have ANOTHER surgery, which I tried to discourage. Coincidentally, her husband had rotator cuff surgery at about the same time. His turned out even worse than hers. He had to have a second surgery to replace part of his shoulder joint because he supposedly had some arthritis. Both have constant pain and can't move their arms above their heads w/out sharp pain. Here's the real clincher: Both supposedly got their injuries from playing (wrestling) with the family dog!

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  10:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I said "better to forget about TMS in regard to her shoulder and do the PT thing 100%" I was not suggesting that there was a real injury.

My main point was that you simply cannot treat a symptom as TMS and undergo physical therapy for that same injury. The PT reinforces the idea that the pain is due to a structural problem and adds fuel to the TMS fire.

There are, of course, acute injuries that either heal on their own or require surgery. My friend had disclocated his shoulder in a soccer game and tore the cuff and needed surgical reconstruction. He is fine now.

That said, if there is no acute injury, just chronic pain that comes and goes and flares up consistently after certain activities, it is possibly TMS. MRIs can reveal a tear that is not really a tear, just normal scar tissue and unrelated to the pain.

PT or surgery can provide a placebo cure, so just because it heals the symptoms doesn't mean the problem wasn't TMS all along.

If you can manage to ignore the symptoms and recognize that the flare-ups are TMS then the pain should subside over time.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  16:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, I took it exactly as you intended; that if it is TMS you can't hedge your bets by taking both a physical and a psychological approach. I accept that.

I guess I'm impatient after refraining from most physical treatment for 6 mo and not getting 100% better. And the fact that the flareups follow weights, snow shoveling, etc, makes me think maybe it is an injury that just hasn't had a chance to heal properly.

I'll probably try some PT with the idea that there's nothing to lose. At worst, I'll get a placebo response and then I'll be back to the TMS dx. At best, I'll heal up a little faster and improve range of motion (if it is indeed physical).
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  08:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrldtrv

And the fact that the flareups follow weights, snow shoveling, etc, makes me think maybe it is an injury that just hasn't had a chance to heal properly.

It's critical to accept the concept of conditioning in TMS. Remember it is a very clever process designed to make you believe the pain is due to injury or structural defect.

When I'm shoveling snow and feel a twinge in my back, I laugh and say "don't bother trying, I'm not going to fall for it."

Also, don't strive for 100% relief. Just take it one day at a time. A small amount of chronic pain that you can successfully ignore and does not interfere with your life is not so bad.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  20:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I thought of the conditioning angle. That's very possible, but I think now that I've started the process I'll try some PT. Ironically, I woke up today and my shoulder felt much better after several days of getting worse. It's not at all painful but it pops when I move it in ceratin positions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000