TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 ups and downs of TMS missionary work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whitris

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  10:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi y'all:

For lack of a better way to spend my time, I have been posting to other health forums about my TMS condition, GERD. After an initial sluggish start, I now have a post going with over 50 replies and 1200 views, far and away the most active topic on the forum. I simply explained that Sarno helped me and how. A bunch of people wrote in that they would try it, others wrote that I was reckless to suggest people stop their drugs. Overall, it is going well though.

On another forum, I was locked out, I think because I mentioned Sarno...either they think he is a quack or I shouldn't have mentioned his book...of 100s of topics mine is one of a few they shut down...hmmm.

Anyway, it has been fun to try this. I try not to spend much time on it...look in every week or two. Others may want to try the same with their illness of choice, if they are in the missionary mood.

whitris

PS: my other venture is to slowly write letters to select people about Sarno; my list includes Pres of Amer. Psychological Assoc, Joe and Terri Graiden (People's Pharmacy), some medical insurer CEOs, univ medical policy people, and head of disability insurance systems. cheers.

PPS: I think this makes me a certified goodist. Gotta curb that!

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  20:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whitris, that's interesting--I'm glad you posted about your efforts.
Go to Top of Page

carbar

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  21:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Word of mouth, folks, right?

I don't think it matter if people believe it right away, but just getting the terms and the concept out there makes a big difference. People need to hear things usually 5-7 times before they sink in.

I think it's great to be frank, but shortsighted to be combative about your info on TMS and Sarno. Clearly it's worked for us, but I think trying to beat it into folks heads will not work.

I've been giving this some thought since I just wrote a bunch of holiday cards, and only in some explaining that I'm better from my arm pain. To the musicians and teacher I knew, I wrote about Sarno very matter of factly. Just, "I'm almost completely better, going back to playing, and it's because I read this book, the Mindbody Perscription. To the aquaintance level folks, I kept it short and sweet.

Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  05:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great, whitris.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to get other forums to adopt the Success Story tag. Would that be OK with you, Stryder?

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  09:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi whitris, after reading littlebird's post on "the changable brain" article, I wonder if you might want to add Oprah to your list of people to contact regarding TMS. I would think a person like Oprah would be amenable to Sarno's theories. And considering her influence over the masses... If she did a show on TMS or featured TMS/Sarno in her magazine, that would be an excellent forum to get the word out.

ss
Go to Top of Page

vrampen78

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  22:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Could you believe it if somebody like Oprah interviewed Dr. Sarno and got the word out about TMS. That would be amazing...something like that NEEDS to happen.

I think what you are doing is great Whitris...the word needs to get out about TMS. Even though I've improved in sx's and have begun a interesting journey in discovering the way my mind affects me I can't help but worry and feel pissed off about the people with chronic pain disorders and the other TMS equivalents...it is infuriating that so many people are pumped up with meds and just masking the sx's, but not really getting to the root of the problem. Ok I obviously need to go journal...lol. Anyway, keep up the good work and hopefully we can all influence others in giving TMS knowledge a try.

-Veronica
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  09:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, Two of the greatest souces of resistance to Sarno is going to be:

a) Despite all of the information avialable today, people in general are NOT too willing to disagree with their Doctor. I'm not talking about this site, but mainstream America was taught to trust their Doctor, and I think they still do.

b) There are LOTS of industries that would be seriously hurt financially if all the people who could be helped by Sarno strategies were to suddenly adopt Sarno. Not that I'm saying I wish that wouldn't happen. I wish it would. But the Pharmaceutical industry would be hard hit (couldn't happen to a nicer bunch) and the PT industry, and the medical industry in general. Keep in mind, a lot of these "health forum" kind of sites are sponsored by Major Pharmaceuticals and such.

I think its best this movement grow slowly, so as to build momentum and have a strong base, so it won't ever be seen as a flash in the pan.

Whitris, I think your ideas of writing Major entities in the Medical community is great. Wish I had your idealism

Cheers,

Beth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000