TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What do you tell your brain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  03:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

Last night I finished reading the "Treatment of TMS" on Dr. Sarno's "Healing Back Pain" and one of the statements that struck me and that I think would work for me was "Talk to your brain, give it hell" (Or something like that, I don't have the book with me now).

My question is: what do you guys tell your brain?

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  05:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think or whisper things like:

"Increase bloodflow!" (and have this internal urge to do so, just as you would when suppressing crying but then the other way around.)
"I know why you do this, so cut it out and let's just work together."
"What is bothering you? Give me the thought or cut it out."
"Stop the pain or I'll give you pain" (squeezing my painful armmusle (RSI) very hard with my other hand.)

But I must say I'm not sure I'm doing it right because my flare-ups and flare-downs (?) seem to be completely random, not caring what I say or think.

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  07:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"It's okay honey, I'm home" - as though talking to the teenage sibling baby sitter that is trying to control the angry baby.

"Your real mom is home now. Yes, I'm sorry I was away so long and left you in charge, and yes, I know you've come to feel as though you ARE in charge here, but you're not. Thanks for your efforts. All these symptoms have taken A LOT OF CREATIVITY! But you can stop now, and have some other kinds of fun. In fact, we're going to the gym.'

The main thing is to really take back the authority, because the agent in power is a bit powerdrunk by this time.

hope this helps

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  10:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quit it, brain, I'm on to you.

I appreciate your efforts, but you really don't need to do that anymore.

Come on, brain, this is just silly! (When the pain goes somewhere particularly obvious.)

Send more blood to the arm/neck/back/etc.

I'm tired of this, lay off.

Get that area nice and warm, keep the blood going everywhere.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  14:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wavy Soul

The main thing is to really take back the authority, because the agent in power is a bit powerdrunk by this time.

LOL. Yeah, I dunno about you, but far from needing to learn how to "embrace my inner child", that little bastard has gone power mad. He runs my whole life. He needs some dicipline and authority, not more niceness ;-))

Anyone else at this same end of the spectrum as me?

--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."
Robert Anton Wilson
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  17:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sg74,

Try this on for size...

Don't blame yourself. Its not your fault your brain got wired this way. Its not your fault.

I will not fight the pain. I accept my pain. Let it hurt. Its only pain. The pain will not damge my body since there is nothing wrong with my body. The pain is benign. The pain is real, caused by the brain and not the body. Go ahead, hurt me.

I am not broken.

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  19:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Floorten - yup - the kid's a tyrant. Have you read The Dark Side of the Inner Child, by Wolinsky?

Go to Top of Page

kevin t

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  21:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Brain this is me....I know we are in the grocery line and people think we are schizophrenic, so please stop before they call the cops"?
Go to Top of Page

MikeJ

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  05:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sometimes use the Homer maneuver to trick my brain.

Homer: Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer.

Homer's Brain: It's a deal!
Go to Top of Page

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  06:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wavy Soul

Floorten - yup - the kid's a tyrant. Have you read The Dark Side of the Inner Child, by Wolinsky?

No I haven't. Thanks for the recommendation. That's going on my to-read list!

greg.

--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."
Robert Anton Wilson
Go to Top of Page

Logan

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  08:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I've been pain free, mostly, for a few years, I'll just say to my brain "Hey, knock it off. You must be kidding me if you think I spent almost a year getting healthy only to go back to that crap."

But when I was first getting better, I needed a more organized and comprehensive approach to sort of evict that part of my subconscious from its place of power. So I wrote it a letter, firing it. I told it thanks for all your efforts on my behalf but things have changed. I'm taking on this pain, anger, grief consciously and head on, so you can step down. Your services are no longer needed et cetera..."

It was about a two page letter with a lot more detail about what had been going on for me emotionally when the pain started and how I had read Sarno's books and believed I had found the answer.

I also made up little rhymes that I could sort of chant silently throughout the day to reinforce the message. I can't remember them exactly but basically they were about how I was healthy, strong and had excellent circulation. "I am healthy, strong and free from pain; the blood flows just as it should through each and every artery, capillary and vein."

I'm really susceptible to music - I've had Feliz Navidad in my head since I first heard it as a child twentysomething years ago! So that sort of rhythmic poetry worked for me.

These tactics helped me get almost "all the way" there. And the thing that jumpstarted me to one hundred percent healthy and pain free was reading "Facing the Fire" by Stan Lee and doing the anger release exercises he recommends. I can't say enough good things about the power of getting the anger out of your body...talk about good circulation, the effect is immediate!

I wish you health spacegirl!

quote:
Originally posted by spacegirl74

Hello All,

Last night I finished reading the "Treatment of TMS" on Dr. Sarno's "Healing Back Pain" and one of the statements that struck me and that I think would work for me was "Talk to your brain, give it hell" (Or something like that, I don't have the book with me now).

My question is: what do you guys tell your brain?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000