TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Modest success story
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeff

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  12:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk of jinxing myself, I wanted to let everyone know that I have experienced a significant reduction in pain symptoms since accepting my TMS diagnosis.

I won't recount my entire story, except to say that since mid-summer I have experienced significant pain in my ankles, lower legs and thighs (both muscle pain and burning). In September I discovered the Sarno and Brady books, and I began to focus on treating myself as a TMS victim, including journalling, pain talk, and the like. I am in DC, so I also visited with Dr. Segal (what a nice lady).

For several weeks my pain symptoms seemed to be quite volatile, and I even got lower back pain for a week (go figure). Then I got sick with the flu -- I haven't been that sick in years -- followed by a cought that would not let up.

As my symptoms vacillated, I began to realize that they were due to issues I was having with work, in particular the enormous stress, tension and yes anger that I experience at work on a daily basis.

Earlier this month my wife and I went on a short vacation, and my symptoms completely disappeared during that time. I returned home and resumed work, and the symptoms stayed away. Then I was hit with a massive, anxiety-inducing project at work, which involved all sorts of mistakes and errors, and my ankle pain came back. At that point, I could only laugh at it -- it was obviously TMS and nothing else. Since then the ankle pain has subsided (although it has not gone away entirely at this point).

In any event, I have now reached the point where I totally accept that these symptoms are simply my brain's way of dealing with work-induced stress. My pain is much less than it was, and I have more confidence than ever before that I can deal with any new pain symptoms that might emerge.

I don't think I am out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination, and I accept that my pain symptoms may well come back depending on how things go at work. But I have a different mindset than at any time during the past 18 months, and I feel like I have a way of understanding what is happening to me so that I do not panic every time I start experiencing pain.

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  14:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on your victory and insights!

If you're not doing this already, you might want to mark the best days and write about your victories. I am experiencing some relief during flareups when I read back my older successes.

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  10:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really good to hear, Jeff. It sounds like you've reached an important goalpost. It's all downhill from here.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

MikeJ

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  14:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jeff! That's great news - it's good to know you're laughing about it. That's a great way to neutralize and diminish it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000