TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Meniscus tear - when is it NOT TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  10:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I've searched the archives here, I've read pages 98-99 of MBP, I have ignored and exercised through excruciating pain for about 7 weeks. I have journaled, I had a consultation with Monte, I have gotten angry, I have continued with my life.

But at what point do you give in? Through all of this I have run (only a couple miles since it hurts like hell), biked (and suffered painfully after), hiked, iced, and finally decided to get an MRI. I treated it as TMS but I need to get back to my life. And I'm afraid of damaging something worse which will make me incapable of returning to an active lifestyle. Yes, I'm aware that fear will cause TMS, but see above - I kept doing activities despite the pain, then suffering tremendously after.

My MRI shows a torn meniscus in my right knee. I have an appointment with an ortho surgeon on Tuesday. I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than see another doctor, but honestly, I need my life back. If he recommends surgery, why wouldn't the TMS knowledge help with recovery?

MBP mentions meniscus tears do not cause pain, but if that's what has happened, I would say otherwise.

Thoughts?

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  10:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Michele,
I have had right knee issues on and off for years..Several real and serious injuries to the same knee have caused TMS to find this as it's second favorite place to wreak havoc with my life..I had an MRI and it said "abnormal flattening of the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus w/ no frank tear.." But..since then another big injury happened (falling onto a cement curb, tripped on a rock..)..ANyway, I am over my normal weight now and under ALOT of stress and suddenly the knee (which has been pain free for several weeks) is starting again...It's hard to say regarding surgery in your case, of course I am not a doctor..I would perhaps find a pool that you can do water aerobics in or power walk in the pool instead of running on land..If the tear is big enough you could irritate it but running through that much pain..Just my opinion..I suppose it depends on how large the tear is...Even if the worst case happens and you need surgery (I hope not) then you can still apply the TMS principles to your recovery..
Good luck,
Karen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000